SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Estes Park CO home owners must apologize if their homes were in a 1940s subdivision that restricted race (i.e. were racist)...
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Estes Park CO home owners must apologize if their homes were in a 1940s subdivision that restricted race (i.e. were racist)... Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
Ok, why... just why...

Man on crusade to expose Colorado's racist property records: 'This is so appalling!'

ESTES PARK, Colo. -- Battles over racism continue to rile the country. The latest is hitting Colorado where a longtime resident in a popular tourist town discovered several neighborhoods that only welcomed white people.

Now, there's an effort underway seeking homeowners to take a stand against their historically racist property records -- not only in Estes Park, but in dozens of other communities across Colorado.

"This is kind of like our Confederate statues in Estes Park, except these are statutes," John Meissner said. "These are subdivisions or neighborhoods where they have race-restrictive covenants in place."

Meissner said he's one of a handful of Estes Park residents who study the town's history. He stumbled on the race-restrictive covenants while researching Georgia Graves, an opera singer who once lived in a subdivision there.

"Just reading through, and it's six pages, and I was not really paying attention because it's always just words, words, words," Meissner said. "And then I said, 'Oh my gosh! This is so appalling! This is saying that, you know, only white people can buy property here."

The covenants founded what is now Stanley Heights. They placed restrictions on a property's appearance, size -- and race.

"None of said building sites or any part thereof shall at any time be used or occupied by, or sold, leased or given to any person or persons of any race except the white race. But this restriction shall not prohibit any of the occupants from having employees who are not of the white race," the covenants, dated from the early 1940s, read.

The neighborhood is aptly named for F.O. Sanley, who parceled out land in Estes Park in the 1940s.

Stanley is a community figure of pride. His statue sits in front of the Stanley Hotel, made famous in the 1980 horror film The Shining.

Meissner agreed that his work is essentially labeling Stanley a racist.

"Yeah, yeah," he said.

Meissner admitted he's stirring emotions in a way that's not settling well with other people in Estes Park.

"I came up here saying I don't care if i'm chased out of town. I really don't. Estes Park's history is going to be better when I leave than when I came," he said.

He's also calling for action. Even though old, race-restrictive covenants were deemed unconstitutional in a 1948 U.S. Supreme Court decision, Meissner wants individual homeowners to take a stand against them since they still appear in property records.

With the help of an attorney, Meissner generated a document that homeowners can sign and file with the Larimer County Clerk and Recorder's Office.

"It's called an extinguishment of encumbrance," he said. "And so, this is like a little time capsule, for future historians to come across, and this will be connected to those restrictive deeds. So, they'll see those and then they'll see this, which says, OK, that was that generation, and now people are going on-record this generation and saying, 'I don't adhere to this, I abhor this, I don't at all agree with this.'"

Estes Park mayor Todd Jirsa agreed Meissner's efforts are worth it.

"We can't change that past, all we can do is help to rewrite the—our chapter of history in the future," he said. "That's all that we can do. And we should do that, and we should take a stand. People need to know where we stood on this issue."

Denver7 spoke with several people in Estes Park, including longtime homeowner Jim Mount, who believe race-restrictive covenants no longer have a place in their community.

"I know of nobody in this neighborhood, and I mean I know pretty much all the neighbors, I know of nobody who would support that today," Mount said.

Denver7 Investigates discovered race-restrictive covenants were fairly common across Colorado at a time when they were prevalent in other eastern states, too.

The process of locating every protective covenant across the state can be cumbersome. It differs from county to county. But in Jefferson County alone, Denver7 found race-restrictive covenants in 82 neighborhoods -- most dating back to the 1940s.

In Denver, the Polo Club neighborhood only welcomed white people.

Nonetheless, in Estes Park at least, Meissner hopes the community will take a stand alongside him.

"It sends a message outside of Estes Park [that] this is not who we are," he said. "We are inclusive, we are not exclusive."

Many of the covenants across Colorado remain on the books because many of the subdivisions were small -- as few as four homes in some cases. Chances are no one's reviewed them in decades.

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Report This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
How stupid. That guy needs to go by way of Samson the Elk.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Virtue-signalling...does this mean they need to put a rainbow sticker on their front door to indicate that they filed the above mentioned document Roll Eyes Idiots.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Some jackasses aren't busy enough with life, and dream up this zhit.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Oh

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Well, bless his heart.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It's called history, some of it isn't pretty. Are we going to go back to the dawn of time and right every wrong? Roll Eyes

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Some people need somebody to come to their door once a month and kick them square in the jimmy, when they’re withering on the ground let them know see you next month jack ass.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see where it actually called for any apologies ?!?!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to pull old Stanley's statue down and rename his hotel. Can't leave any history for the snowflakes to trigger on.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I would support a covenant that prevented busy-body shitwits from living in my community. Otherwise it looks like the problem was solved in 1948.

Posts: 6387 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Why does he want to change the paperwork? That doesn't change the fact that he lives in a house built by and for evil white racists. How can he possibly sleep at night?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Hope he's not using white sheets? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Why does he want to change the paperwork? That doesn't change the fact that he lives in a house built by and for evil white racists. How can he possibly sleep at night?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“Void” is, well, void.

How does one extinguish a void?

The voidness only extends to the offending provision. Are the owners to extinguish the entire scheme of covenants?

If so, I don’t think many will sign. They want their neighbors to not keep pigs, park cars on the lawn, etc.

If not, what’s the point?

Maybe they should burn the structures to the ground, salt the earth and never dwell on polluted ground again!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I hope he does not check into the Memorial Park that a lot of both sides of my family are interred at. A long time ago I saw the lot deed for my step-great-grandfather and it had a covenant in it that only white persons could be buried there.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I hope he does not check into the Memorial Park that a lot of both sides of my family are interred at. A long time ago I saw the lot deed for my step-great-grandfather and it had a covenant in it that only white persons could be buried there.

The worms care not the color of a dead man's skin. We are but meat.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sand... someone needs to go pound it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
More in the 'Stupid on Steroids' theme. And for the record Estes Park, such nonsense does not make you look inclusive. It makes you look asinine.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The trouble with this brand of PC is that it requires the innocent to account for the guilty in the same way that Obama believes in collective salvation and condemnation. This brand of PC is a rising theology that requires people of a certain subset pay for what others did who share that subset characteristic. It is not individual accountability. It is collective. No one is safe once we accept this false principle. Imagine if our justice system adopted this principle. One man could be put in prison for what another did based solely on corresponding characteristics. There is no one pure enough to escape the consequences of others' sins.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The trouble with this brand of PC is that it requires the innocent to account for the guilty in the same way that Obama believes in collective salvation and condemnation. This brand of PC is a rising theology that requires people of a certain subset pay for what others did who share that subset characteristic. It is not individual accountability. It is collective. No one is safe once we accept this false principle. Imagine if our justice system adopted this principle. One man could be put in prison for what another did based solely on corresponding characteristics. There is no one pure enough to escape the consequences of others' sins.

Well said, that is why I posted this nonsense.

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Report This Post