SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Out of state gun sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out of state gun sale Login/Join 
Picture of Sinjin
posted
Not sure this is the right place to post this but here goes...
I live in TN, there’s another forum member that lives in MI and we’re looking at doing some SIG trading. We’d both like to see what each other’s pistol looks like. I have a friend that lives in MI near him I’d like to visit. My question is if I take the pistol to MI and we decide to do the trade, can we go to a local FFL and pay the dealer a handling fee so he can get my pistol then or do I have to bring my pistol back to TN and ship it to the dealer? If we do the trade, I realize his pistol would have to be shipped to my FFL here in TN. I’m trying to get out of the shipping fees.

Thanks,
Sinjin

Sinjin

A warrior is a man of action, guided by reason and motivated by love!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Posts: 343 | Location: The Great Smoky Mountains of TN | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a reason you would have to bring it back and ship it.
If you are already in MI then why go back and ship unless the receiving FFL won't accept for some reason and if that is the case then find another FFL.

Posts: 22932 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An FFL may accept a transfer of a firearm from a resident of any state (thought some won't accept transfers from individuals).

So you've got it right. You could have a MI FFL transfer the pistol to the MI resident. And then have the other pistol sent to a TN FFL for the TN resident to pick up.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I realize his pistol would have to be shipped to my FFL here in TN. I’m trying to get out of the shipping fees.

Impossible to say. Some FFl's will not accept a handgun from out of state. Some won't even accept one without a ffl certificate enclosed.

Shipping fees for a ffl are significantly less than what a individual pays and they have more options.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The FFLs I’ve dealt with have accepted from private individuals. As posted above, just go to another, maybe even call & ask ahead of time.

If you plan to buy his gun, after paying, take the non-FFL parts with you. That’s the magazine(s) of course, could even just send the stripped frame. If nothing else, it feels like you already got 1/2 the gun.

Posts: 6173 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sinjin
posted Hide Post

Sinjin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Posts: 343 | Location: The Great Smoky Mountains of TN | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely able to do that, no law against it.

Most FFLs, myself included have had items show up from private sellers without the proper ID. Then we, I, have to sit on it until the ID shows up.

Or, a firearm comes loaded....

These are primary reasons FFLs are hesitant, or refuse to deal with private sellers "shipping" direct.

If you hand carry it there, you will have your drivers license with you, so can't imagine any problem.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sinjin
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the replies. I figured I could but thought it’d be best if I asked first.

Sinjin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ