Notify
Tools

SUV Tires Login/Join 
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted
What is the talk of the town regarding SUV tires? Replacing all 4 on a 2012 Honda Pilot. 98% paved road driving with the occasional snow/dirt road. I have historically been a fan of Michelin, but my last two sets with them have just been average.

Posts: 4220 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with BF Goodrich Long Trails. Foolishly replaced them with Michelins. Three of those were bad within 20,000 miles. Everyone's experience is different. Ever read the reviews on Tire Rack? On almost every tire, half the reviewers say the tires were great, the other half say they were crap.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I just installed some Michelin LTX Premier tires on an ML350. Much more of a road tire than my last Michelins, the LTX M&S on a Suburban.

They drive very much better than the Continentals that came on the care did at 16K, let alone the 30K on them when I ditched them. Incredibly quite, but better responsiveness. Haven't been in a deluge yet, but expect good results there as well.

I'm a fan. I'm an even bigger fan of their high performance tires for cars, and LOVE the set of Pilot Sport 4S on a car right now. Simply incredible improvements over the past 10 years iterations.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Michelin all day for me. No better pavement truck tire than the LTX IMO. Just replaced the stock tires (Goodyear something) on my brand new truck and it drives significantly better with the Michelins on it.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I pretty much only use all terrains these days, but the Michelin LTX is by far the worst tire in all conditions I have ever had on a vehicle. Some people swear by them, and they do last forever, but that is because they have no grip whatsoever in any conditions. Wet, dry, snow, ice, mud- it doesn't really matter because they don't stick.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yokohama Geolander!!!
Only better tire for wear is the Michillen LTX but costs twice as much.
I have had 5 sets of Geolanders on 3 vehicles and won't buy anything but if they are available.

I did not have the issue with the LTXs that perception had. No traction issues.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the LTX. My dad is on his 4th set between his last 4 trucks. Great on the highway & long life.
My F150 will likely be getting a set when the OE Hankooks need replacing.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Yokohama and continental tires

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Yokohama Geolander!!!

That's where I'm at too. Had Coopers and they were good, but I like the Geolanders better.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huge Geolander fan. I think the current is the G015 or something like that.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 966 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Firestone Destination LE 2 tires. I see these tires on quite a few SUV and trucks in my area.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Cooper Discover tires.

My volunteer fire department put a set of Bridgestone Duelers on the duty officer vehicle 2 years ago (Dodge Durango) and they have been excellent. The thing drove terrible before them, not it handles great.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Michelin all day for me. No better pavement truck tire than the LTX IMO. Just replaced the stock tires (Goodyear something) on my brand new truck and it drives significantly better with the Michelins on it.

I had Michelin LTX on my Expedition and they were excellent in all aspects throughout their entire life. For price reasons I went with Goodyear Wrangler Defenders? They're almost as good as the Michelins and 60% of the price. But I only have 5k miles on them and I put 50k on the Michelins

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put a set of Good Year Wrangler Duratracs on my 4Runner. They handle and ride great with very little noise, even at highway speed. I haven't had them off-road or in the snow yet, but I'm actually looking forward to the first big snow.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
I just put a set of Good Year Wrangler Duratracs on my 4Runner. They handle and ride great with very little noise, even at highway speed. I haven't had them off-road or in the snow yet, but I'm actually looking forward to the first big snow.

The OP asked about tires for his HONDA PILOT. I don't believe he would put Duratracs on even if Goodyear made a size that would fit. Big Grin

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LTX all day long. I can't imagine a traction complaint as I use them all winter here in Maine. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The OP asked about tires for his HONDA PILOT. I don't believe he would put Duratracs on even if Goodyear made a size that would fit. Big Grin

I guess I should have read the post and not just the topic header.

Then again, with a little lift and some fender flares it might look pretty bad ass.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I love the Michelin Defender LTX but I think the Michelin Premier LTX are wearing way too fast.

These are on Foresters.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Huge Geolander fan. I think the current is the G015 or something like that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS - running Geo's on my Subaru Outback!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had Yokohama put on my highlander. I know it isn't a serious SUV but I like the ride on city and hwy roads.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post