SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I feel that we ended up at the DMV instead of going to church
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I feel that we ended up at the DMV instead of going to church Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
At the age of 13 (after 6 years of Catechism )

I was convinced that people do stuff with other people for a reason.

25% of the reason may or not be for a very specific belief i.e.: religious belief, ball team faith, medical support ( cancer etc)

55% for the feeling of support from like minded people ,pack mentality

10% for a personnel feeling of accomplishment
10% to experience the support for others.

when any of those reasons is diminished , the altruism goes away and devalues the experience.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The church is a dwindling institution. Society has changed and the church, like printed media, is struggling to adapt and thrive in the new normal.

Posts: 363 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at least they were there

it's a start

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:

a small church with 30-40 people on Sunday morning and the music consists of a piano player and the congregation singing. It's old timey, but then again so am I.
That sounds like a great little church. If I were Christian (I am Jewish) that is the kind of church I would look for.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To make a point one Sunday, our Pastor had another Pastor call his cell phone in the middle of his sermon. He answered and pretended to be discussing picking up stuff at Walmart. He apparently got his point across about people not putting their cell phone on mute or otherwise making a distraction. I don’t recall problems with cell phones ringing after that.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18Z50:
The church is a dwindling institution. Society has changed and the church, like printed media, is struggling to adapt and thrive in the new normal.
You're making a huge sweeping generalization.

Mine is bursting at the seams and is birthing church plants. Accross the country, so are other decentralized churches that preach Jesus Christ crucified, risen, and the need for a personal Savior.

The churches that are dying are:
  • the ones afraid to offend with the cross, the Bible, there being a penalty for sin, etc.
  • the ones obsessed with tradition and the next generation isn't coming back.
  • the ones more concerned about the color of the fabric of their pews than where their neighbors will spend eternity.
  • the ones where a central body decides your pastor/reverend/priest instead of the local church.

Here is a good article titled, "Church Members, Here Are 10 Ways to KILL Your Church"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by 18Z50:
    You're making a huge sweeping generalization.

Mine is bursting at the seams and is birthing church plants. Accross the country, so are other decentralized churches that preach Jesus Christ crucified, risen, and the need for a personal Savior.

The churches that are dying are:
  • the ones afraid to offend with the cross, the Bible, there being a penalty for sin, etc.
  • the ones obsessed with tradition and the next generation isn't coming back.
  • the ones more concerned about the color of the fabric of their pews than where their neighbors will spend eternity.
  • the ones where a central body decides your pastor/reverend/priest instead of the local church.

Here is a good article titled, "Church Members, Here Are 10 Ways to KILL Your Church"

• Exactly.

Our church has to keep opening new campuses up because we keep running out of space!

When I met my wife in 2012, this was her church; there was the main campus and a satellite campus. Now we have the main campus church and 3 satellite campuses and a fifth opening up by the end of 2018!

We are super-current and high tech which draws people. Everything is done online, it's not what people think of as "church" which turns a lot of people off; old dusty musty buildings, old fashioned ways of doing things, only hymns sung badly with off key musicians. I've been to way too many churches where you walk in as a visitor and either get stared down as an "intruder" or ignored. This church bends over backwards to make visitors feel welcome and loved and wanting to come back, from the second their car comes into a parking lot, there are parking people welcoming them and directing them to spots right by the door, welcome teams welcome them as they come in the door, people take them to their seats, we have a special video welcoming them and tanking them for coming and telling them that we want nothing from them at offering time, that we are here for them. In fact our whole church motto is:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of vthoky
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PASig:
    We are super-current and high tech which draws people.

When I started going to the church I attend now, the modernity of it was stunning! I was so used to Mom and Dad's [traditional] church! Since then, we've moved from the local school to a larger building, then expanded to three services, then bought the building. Easter Sunday brought over 3000 regulars and guests, over four services. It's amazing.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of adobesig
    posted Hide Post
    I grew up with humble cowboys in their nicest jeans and shirts and clean boots going to church in a reverent manor. I now see city folks at church looking like the service interrupted their oil change or shrub trimming. Hairy feet in dollar flip flops with ketchup stains getting out of expensive cars. That is the check-the-box mindset that leads to the behavior you all are describing.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post