SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Carolina gun friendly?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Carolina gun friendly? Login/Join 
posted
Figure it doesn't get any better than AZ, but circumstance have changed some.

How is No Carolina for gun ownership/carry/use/ purchase fair?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Figure it doesn't get any better than AZ, but circumstance have changed some.

How is No Carolina for gun ownership/carry/use/ purchase fair?

What specifically are you looking to find out? N.C. is a shall issue state, no restrictions on mags, still has the Jim Crow-era pistol purchase permit system if you don’t have a CCH.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Gun, yes - automatic knives, no. Frown

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Have to get a Pistol Purchase Permit from the sheriff to buy a hand gun, permit is turned into the seller and are good for one time use. The sheriff can make up any rules he wants, some ask for three citizens to vouch for you in writing...so, be aware of that.

Getting a CCW/license to carry is run thru the same sheriff....state mandated eight hour class, usually cost about $100 for training class. then There is the cost of the permit at the sheriffs office.

You can open carry without any kinda permit
Can’t carry at parades, or where you pay to go inside, many places are off limits, a little picture of a gun with a red circle and slash is enough to be a no go area.
No guns at funerals IIRC...

Buncha other stuff, but don’t remember them off the top of my head

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Www.handgunlaw.us

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
...automatic knives, no. Frown
Oops.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Not the best, but not terrible by any stretch. As said, no restrictions on what you can own, but the pistol permits and carry permits are more onerous than anywhere else I've lived.

But in general, that was the only negative experience I had living in NC: arbitrary bureaucracy that does what it wants in an inconsistent patchwork of little fiefdoms, and none of the state or local people want to give you easy access to the info you need to solve XY or Z issue.

(I'm not really harping on the pistol permits...they were fine in Guilford County...just my interactions with other state and local bureaucracies.)

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in NC for 70+ years. Ben a resident of four (4) different counties. NEVER had a problem buying anything I wanted (especially after age 21).

Get your CCW! It's not difficult or prohibitively expensive; but it does require some time/effort.

Don't understand the "big deal" about 'flic' knives. Don't plan on carrying a knife to a gunfight! I've carried a 3-1/2" stockman folder everywhere for years (except courthouses). Never needed more knife!

Please note -- I have no aversion to auto knives (or bump stocks).

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I'm here in NC now. Was from MS. I had advance training and could carry everywhere sign our no sign in MS.
To carry here is such a pita. To pass a no gun sign while carrying is a gun crime not just trespassing.
I feel forced to break the law carrying concealed... Hopefully this won't bite me in the arse someday.
The Sheriff can drag out getting you chp if they choose to be that way .... Blame it on back logg ... Took 6mths for mine even though I had one in ms since the 90's.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived there for many years.

It gets a solid 'B' grade in my opinion. Maybe a 'B+'.

Not as open / 'free' as some states - but definitely not bad either.

There are a few oddball laws. But generally a solid RKBA state IME.

The state gun rights group Grass Roots NC is pretty well organized.

https://www.grnc.org/

https://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/...a-Firearms-Laws.aspx

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have utilized the purchase permit system and have my concealed carry long enough for one renewal.

I didn’t have any issues with either process. However, as someone has mentioned the system allows differing procedures and timing from county to county.

I cannot compare to the procedures in other states because I lived in other states prior to the age of 21.

Since I had no issues, I would give a grade of A but I live in a more rural area of the state.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I'm here in NC now. Was from MS. I had advance training and could carry everywhere sign our no sign in MS.
To carry here is such a pita. To pass a no gun sign while carrying is a gun crime not just trespassing.
I feel forced to break the law carrying concealed... Hopefully this won't bite me in the arse someday.
The Sheriff can drag out getting you chp if they choose to be that way .... Blame it on back logg ... Took 6mths for mine even though I had one in ms since the 90's.

The ease and speed of getting a CCH improved a few years ago but still depends very much on the individual county Sheriff. Does require 8 hours of training, basic marksmanship and a personal visit to the Sheriff for fingerprinting.

As far as the purchase permits, that’s a huge moneymaker for Sheriff offices and they cling to that system like death. Easy to get, but most counties charge $5 per. We almost got that tossed out twice, but both times the Sheriff association pitched a bitch and the legislature backed off.

Keep in mind that N.C.is a pretty conservative state that has a long history of Dems in charge. So, some laws (like knives) are vague, patchwork and not well defined.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post