SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Phil Everly has passed away
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Phil Everly has passed away Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 857 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Edit
Get the ringtone
Spread The Words...

Bye Bye Love Submit Correct Lyrics

Bye bye love
Bye bye happiness
Hello loneliness
I think I'm-a gonna cry

Bye bye love
Bye bye sweet caress
Hello emptiness
I feel like I could die
Bye bye my love goodbye

There goes my baby with someone new
She sure looks happy, I sure am blue
She was my baby till he stepped in
Goodbye to romance that might have been

Bye bye love
Bye bye happiness
Hello loneliness
I think I'm-a gonna cry

Bye bye love
Bye bye sweet caress
Hello emptiness
I feel like I could die
Bye bye my love goodbye

I'm through with romance, I'm through with love
I'm through with countin' the stars above
And here's the reason that I'm so free
My lovin' baby is through with me

Bye bye love
Bye bye happiness
Hello loneliness
I think I'm-a gonna cry

Bye bye love
Bye bye sweet caress
Hello emptiness
I feel like I could die
Bye bye my love goodbye

Bye bye my love goodbye
Bye bye my love goodbye
Bye bye my love

Read more: Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love Lyrics | MetroLyrics

You want your adversary's last visual image to be the white light—immediately followed by the big bang!

Posts: 990 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
My favorite Everly Brothers songs were Love Hurts and Change of Heart, but they didn't record many bad ones.

The Everlys, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly were the influence for everyone who followed them.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4731 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just saw this, what a shame. The younger folks here may recognize the name but us older guys who grew up listening to their music know what a loss this really is.

RIP, Phil.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 947 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papaac:
The Everlys, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly were the influence for everyone who followed them.

And that's a helluva list of people who followed them and were influenced by them.

I know John Lennon was a big fan of the Everly Brothers.

Edmond

Posts: 6099 | Location: Wish you were here | Registered: March 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, Phil Everly bummed a cigarette from my buddy Chuck when they performed at Danceland in Cedar Rapids. We were just dumb kids at the time and didn't realize who he was until they were on stage. He was a gentleman and talked with us for a couple of minutes before going back to his dressing room.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 942 | Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear, RIP

posted Hide Post
Rip, Phil Everly. You will be missed. RIP.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3041 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
Right to
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post

That's too bad. I thought they were older.

They were setting the world on fire back in the 50's early '60's, pre-Beatle, with Elvis, Ricky, Chuck and Fats. I recall very vividly listening to Joel A. Spivak in Houston, spinning the platters, lots of Everly Brothers on the charts.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas." -- David Crockett, former Congressman

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 27657 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
Very Sad....one of the things in my Bucket list was to try to arrange Lunch with either of the boys. Uncle Phil will be missed and Daddy Don isn't nearly as fond of the public eye. Most Beautiful harmonies I've ever heard....Zebulon

Posts: 1514 | Registered: November 19, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Pinchaser
posted Hide Post
Those of us who lived it had no clue what a special time in music history we were witnessing. We thought it would last forever.....

May he RIP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Will Historians 100 Years From Now Say About This Period in American History?

Posts: 500 | Location: Way Back in the Woods | Registered: September 24, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Yeah, I just saw this, what a shame. The younger folks here may recognize the name but us older guys who grew up listening to their music know what a loss this really is.

RIP, Phil.

Well said, but younger people here and, more so, everywhere else, might very well not even know the name. It's their misfortune. The Everly Brothers were a profound influence on virtually every harmony-based group that followed them in the sixties and seventies. I've lost track of the well-known singers I've come across who have given tribute to them for their influence and inspiration. Do what I've done; do yourself a favor and go look up some old videos on YouTube. They were terrific, and they led the way. RIP, Phil.

Posts: 763 | Registered: November 02, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
Right to
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:

RIP, Phil.

Well said, but younger people here and, more so, everywhere else, might very well not even know the name. It's their misfortune. The Everly Brothers were a profound influence on virtually every harmony-based group that followed them in the sixties and seventies. I've lost track of the well-known singers I've come across who have given tribute to them for their influence and inspiration. Do what I've done; do yourself a favor and go look up some old videos on YouTube. They were terrific, and they led the way. RIP, Phil.

All very true, but who would have thought that harmony would go out of style in favor of semi synchronized chanting?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas." -- David Crockett, former Congressman

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 27657 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:

RIP, Phil.

All very true, but who would have thought that harmony would go out of style in favor of semi synchronized chanting?

All things move in cycles; music is no exception. Melody and harmony may not be the most prevalent these days (and some "musical" forms have NONE), but they have not disappeared, and I'm sure will take ascendancy again some day.

Posts: 763 | Registered: November 02, 2009Report This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN

I recall very vividly listening to Joel A. Spivak in Houston, spinning the platters, lots of Everly Brothers on the charts.

Joel A. Spivak, that's a name I haven't heard in years. Did you ever live in Houston?

Posts: 4731 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Report This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
A nice write up.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/m...-2014-073000294.html

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Cathy's Clown and Wake Up Little Susie were always my favorites. Here is a story. My mom and dad ran a little beer joint in southern Mn in the 50's and 60's. The main mode of travel for entertainers touring the Midwest back then was by bus naturally. One day Phil and Don stopped in at my folks place. They were passing through most likely from Mpls./St. Paul. According to my mom it was in the afternoon and there were only a handful of customers in the place. My mom didn't recognize them right away but had a suspicion it was them. They ordered and beer and burger. My mom finally asked if they were the Everly's and they responded they were. They politely asked her not to say anything as they just wanted to stretch their legs and enjoy a beer and burger. She of course obliged.
When finished the shook my dads hand and Don gave my mom a hug. She was of course enthralled.

My mom and dad also had stories about Trini Lopez and Johnny Tillitson stopping in the place.

I guess back in the day with no music videos the entertainers could travel more at ease and go unrecognized most of the time.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 3721 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
I believe in the
Right to
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I recall very vividly listening to Joel A. Spivak in Houston, spinning the platters, lots of Everly Brothers on the charts.

Joel A. Spivak, that's a name I haven't heard in years. Did you ever live in Houston?

I'm a Native Houstonian, born there a long, long time ago. We moved to the hill country north of San Antonio in 1949, but I was back there quite often to visit my grandparents.

Support Your Local
Red and Black
Picture of Snidely Whiplash
posted Hide Post
quote:

RIP Phil

The flip side song on the 45 RPM record:

Posts: 3849 | Location: Up Shit Creek (it's better tha DOWN it) | Registered: October 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:

I'm a Native Houstonian, born there a long, long time ago. We moved to the hill country north of San Antonio in 1949, but I was back there quite often to visit my grandparents.

I am a native Houstonian too. Glad you're back in the Lone Star State.