SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good door-to-door sales tactic, kid!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good door-to-door sales tactic, kid! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
It's after 8pm and just about dark, and the doorbell rings. First though: "Crap!" Next thought: "Eh, probably no big thing." I take a peek out the peephole... it's one of the neighborhood kids, in baseball uniform. He's selling $20 cards full of coupons for local businesses and restaurants.

"Good evening, sir. We're selling these coupon cards to raise money for our baseball team. I have one card left to meet my goal. Would you be interested?"

I've seen these cards before, and there are some good deals. I ran upstairs to fetch cash. When I got back to the porch I asked, "you're not going to every house saying you've got one card left, are you?"

"No, sir!" the kid says. "I had a goal of selling 45, and I've sold 44."

Okay, then. Call me a sucker, I suppose, but the kid was polite. That part sold me. Good job, kid. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
That is funny!! Your story reminds me of when my son said a similar thing to a neighbor friend, years ago, who said no to buying Boy Scout popcorn, but then immediately bought one when my son said, "Shoot, I just needed one more to reach my goal!". Who can say no to that!

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I might be living in a nicer house except for these kinds of tactics.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I'll buy anything that is "magically delicious." Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
I'll buy anything that is "magically delicious." Smile

I'm a sucker for Girl Scout Thin Mints. Bought 10 boxes a couple weeks ago through a friends' daughter having a sale online.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thin Mints...

The only thing "Thin", is my wallet!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No baseball here. Hockey.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nice kid and probably a good deal too. The one I purchased gave me 15% off at the local Taco Bell for a year among other places. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to that kid coming back again this summer.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
LOL as he leaves your door he decides to raise his goal to 46. I always support the local kids and my friends kids. Good job on your support. He could have said, buy this card mister and I will make sure no balls make contact with your windows .

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
As a former Little Leaguer and FFA member I have a lot of sympathy for any kid who stops by my door to sell something for their team, club fundraiser.
I recall selling "raffle tickets" for Little league, selling something they had little chance of winning. The prizes were things that were donated to the league.
In Ag it got a little better, I was selling tasty pork products under the Blue and Gold label. Breakfast sausage patties, breakfast sausage links, all so tasty!!
So I buy popcorn from the Boy Scouts and their coupon book, and cookies from the Girl Scouts who come to my door.
Although in my day I just set out to sell the stuff on my own. Parents were at work, no cell phone, just a mission to fulfil.
Now I see the boy scouts and girl scouts with their parents at the curb. I don't blame them as a parent.

I am surprised, it is a miracle really I wasn't abducted as cute as I was in my little league days.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will always help support little league sports.

During baseball and football season, me and my buddies would go out and sell popcorn fritters, candy bars and M&M's.

Sometimes a parent would drop us off in a neighborhood and we would meet up at a pre-determined spot, and other times we were on our own. No one bothered us, and every one was friendly and talkative whether they bought something or not.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I will pretty much buy anything that kids shop door-to-door. I've been there before, plus it seems like kids rolling up their sleeves and earning it just isn't as common.

What I won't do is just give money to kids collecting. The local high school chorus was going door-to-door a couple of years ago, "collecting" money for a trip. I asked them what they were selling. They said they weren't selling anything, just collecting money. I said well that's not going to work for me...sing me a song. Sure enough, they sang, and I gave them a donation. Then I texted all the neighbors on my street. They earned their donations on our street that day.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
Yeah, I will pretty much buy anything that kids shop door-to-door. I've been there before, plus it seems like kids rolling up their sleeves and earning it just isn't as common.

What I won't do is just give money to kids collecting. The local high school chorus was going door-to-door a couple of years ago, "collecting" money for a trip. I asked them what they were selling. They said they weren't selling anything, just collecting money. I said well that's not going to work for me...sing me a song. Sure enough, they sang, and I gave them a donation. Then I texted all the neighbors on my street. They earned their donations on our street that day.

OMG, I'm rolling! Big Grin

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
We had a UAL Flight Attendant bumming a ride to work the other week. As customary, she sticks her head up front to say thanks. "Oh...by the way..."

She left the cockpit minus a box of Trefoils for us and a box of Thin Mints and a Samoas for the girls to snack on. Quite ingenious on her part.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post