SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video of dangerous dirt bike stunt in California launches investigation
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Video of dangerous dirt bike stunt in California launches investigation Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
A dangerous Southern California dirt bike stunt near a freeway caught the attention of the authorities.

A video posted on Kyle Katsandris’ Instagram account shows a dirt bike launching over cars traveling on the 60 Freeway in Moreno Valley. The mind-blowing footage showed the biker launching off a hill on one side above the freeway and landing the jump on the other side.

The stunt might have been seen as a success, but the biker and the group could be in for some legal trouble.

CBS Los Angeles reported Friday that the California Highway Patrol and the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department were investigating the video.

It’s unclear what charges the stuntmen could be facing. But a friend of Katsandris said the jump was not as daring as people think. The friend told CBS Los Angeles that Katsandris is an experienced rider and the stunt only looks more difficult because of where the biker pulled it off.

One person wondered what would have happened if the stunt went wrong.

“Becoming a threat to other people as well. Not only to himself. It’s not only about his injuries, it’s about other people,” the person told the station.

Video here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRL6EU0BH9l/

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked like a good jump to me. No illegals were harmed in the filming of the jump. Smile

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
"Authorities"......I don't like that the rider did a dangerous thing that could have gone really bad. What I don't like more is that 'authorities' must prosecute based on what could have happened rather than what did happen. Think of where that road ends.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
"Authorities"......I don't like that the rider did a dangerous thing that could have gone really bad. What I don't like more is that 'authorities' must prosecute based on what could have happened rather than what did happen. Think of where that road ends.

I'm fine with them prosecuting him. First the obvious danger it posed to the cars. If he hit one then it could have been multiple fatalities, second he could have freaked one out and caused them to wreck.

Besides the danger aspect of it. Who's land did he alter to make the jump? What will it do for drainage in the area, is it going to cause flooding or run off in unwanted areas? Who's paying to restore the land?

If he owned the land on both sides of the road. Then really the only issue is not getting proper permits and having the highway closed down. Since no one was hurt it's probably a small civil fine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Those who can't race, do stunts or ride "freestyle".

He's an attention whore, I say give him a ticket for reckless endangerment or careless and imprudent or whatever. But other than that...meh.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don't care about the stunt. Curious about the property he jumped from though. Who owned the land that the approach and jump hill was dug into? How about the clearing on the other side of the highway?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Great, another way to give ideas to illegals to jump Trumps wall. Big Grin

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Report This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I don't care about the stunt. Curious about the property he jumped from though. Who owned the land that the approach and jump hill was dug into? How about the clearing on the other side of the highway?

This ^^
That trail he followed to the top of the hill was very well worn/groomed.
Did not look like the first time someone rode over it.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I'm fine with them prosecuting him. First the obvious danger it posed to the cars. If he hit one then it could have been multiple fatalities, second he could have freaked one out and caused them to wreck.

Besides the danger aspect of it. Who's land did he alter to make the jump? What will it do for drainage in the area, is it going to cause flooding or run off in unwanted areas? Who's paying to restore the land?

If he owned the land on both sides of the road. Then really the only issue is not getting proper permits and having the highway closed down. Since no one was hurt it's probably a small civil fine.

I agree. I don't like it. I also don't like the principle that is being established.

By the way, aren't you an electrician? I might need to bend your ear on something I'm trying to do.

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some years ago members of the Kennedy clan were tossing a filled water bottle like a football while skiing. One skied into a tree and died. One of the other participants later said, “What he was doing wasn’t dangerous.”

Sorry, dear, but if death is a reasonable possibility if things don’t go completely right, then it’s dangerous. It’s like the stunt of having someone stand between the targets and take pictures when one’s students are shooting: If everything goes right as it no doubt has hundreds of times, no one will get hurt. If something doesn’t go right, someone could be killed. That makes it dangerous. And in this situation the danger was not only to the rider. That makes it not only dangerous but also unacceptable.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You want to risk yourself doing stupid things fine. But when you put other people unknowingly in danger that is a problem.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the ENTIRE premise behind Driving While Drunk/Impared laws. Its not that the drunk/impared person caused an accident - its that it is illegal because of the LIKELIHOOD of something bad happening.

Same thing for speeding, reckless driving, and a whole slew of other laws.

You simply cant do something criminally negligent and then claim that 'nobody was hurt.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Part 103 violations.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree. I don't like it. I also don't like the principle that is being established.

By the way, aren't you an electrician? I might need to bend your ear on something I'm trying to do.

Just what principle do you think is being established? There is one in place, called public safety.

Did the people on the highway below give their consent to the stunt? Were they aware it was going to take place?

One fuckup and some poor family is injured or killed, or a busfull of transgender orphans, or whatever.

If the idiot wants to risk his own neck, fine. But putting other people at risk is wrong, and he should be penalized.

Why are "authorities" looking into it? Because if they don't, they'll have copycats, and with the increase in frequency, the chance someone gets killed only increases.

This is not some "the MAN keeping us down" thing. Idiots can do stunts where no one else will get hurt.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did the people on the highway below give their consent to the stunt? Were they aware it was going to take place? One fuckup and some poor family is injured or killed, or a busfull of transgender orphans, or whatever.

What about planes or helos flying over roads. Do we have to give consent for them to overfly as well? After all - one fuckup and . . .

I agree, he shouldn't have done it there. But I don't see it as a huge deal.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine driving down the highway and seeing a motorcycle suddenly appear overhead.
How many accidents could that alone cause?
Having said that, the guy is an idiot.
That is my scientific and also my medical opinion of him.
I got my first motorcycle back in '67.
One of the first things that went through my mind was, "Hmmmm. I probably shouldn't be jumping over traffic with this thing".
But then again I am highly advanced intellectually speaking....... Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
What an incredibly reckless and stupid thing to do.
Investigate / Arrest / Prosecute

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Motorcycle riding jackass.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
Did the people on the highway below give their consent to the stunt? Were they aware it was going to take place? One fuckup and some poor family is injured or killed, or a busfull of transgender orphans, or whatever.

What about planes or helos flying over roads. Do we have to give consent for them to overfly as well? After all - one fuckup and . . .

I agree, he shouldn't have done it there. But I don't see it as a huge deal.

Are you forgetting about all of the regulations regarding planes, helos, and our airspace in general? Apples and oranges. Controlled flight and a knucklehead on a dirt bike are totally the same, brah.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just what principle do you think is being established? There is one in place, called public safety.

Did the people on the highway below give their consent to the stunt? Were they aware it was going to take place?

One fuckup and some poor family is injured or killed, or a busfull of transgender orphans, or whatever.

If the idiot wants to risk his own neck, fine. But putting other people at risk is wrong, and he should be penalized.

Why are "authorities" looking into it? Because if they don't, they'll have copycats, and with the increase in frequency, the chance someone gets killed only increases.

This is not some "the MAN keeping us down" thing. Idiots can do stunts where no one else will get hurt.

That govt. has a role in everything that might or could have happened.