SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How strong is JB Weld????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How strong is JB Weld???? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Seems like Ford likes to use the softest metal fill and drain plugs possible in their differentials.
The plug utilizes a 3/8” square opening. So in theory you pop your 3/8” breaker bar in there and voila out comes the plug.
Nope, nope, and nope. The opening starts to get buggered up before the plug breaks loose.

So say I were to fill the opening with JB Weld hammer on a 1/2” to 3/8” impact adapter let the JB Weld set and then pop that sucker with an impact gun??

Don’t have a welder or I’d likely just weld a nut on the plug.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I think it would extrude out as you applied torque. I would go the ol' walk it out with a chisel method.

Get on the edge with your cold chesel and tap it out counter clockwise... Hopefully.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the plug and properly torque it next time around? A drain plug should not be smoked on there. Under 20 ft/lb would probably suffice and if it's torqued properly, removing it shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It will shatter from the impact gun/drive.

Use a chisel and replace the plug when done

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Idiots Big Grin

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the plug and properly torque it next time around? A drain plug should not be smoked on there. Under 20 ft/lb would probably suffice and if it's torqued properly, removing it shouldn't be a problem.

That is the plan but I have to actually get it out first.
I soaked the bastard in PB blaster for quite awhile too and it won’t budge.

Could Someone please explain a little more or point me to a good example of this chisel method.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
EZ Out

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Try using a chisel to get it moving or leave it alone and get a cover with fill plug.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black9

I’ve had better luck with Kano Kroil. Get a can of compressed air and blow it around the plug before and after you apply, hoping to work some of that into the threads. Soak it with the Kroil. It’s not failed me yet.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:

That is the plan but I have to actually get it out first.

Could Someone please explain a little more or point me to a good example of this chisel method.

Gotcha. I vote nipple extractor method.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pb blaster kinda sucks.. a YouTuber did a pretty good test and found that liquid wrench and even wd40 worked better. Can’t remember the channel name but the guy does a lot of lawn mower engine vids. And I’d go invest in an air chisel and walk that thing out. Try the kroil too. And the last thing you’d want to do is weld right there.. you’d likely start a fire.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“I vote nipple extractor method.“

Kinky

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

I've not had to do this, but I did find this on YouTube - Chisel method starts at 4:27:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/hFnOejt3VIU?t=4m27s

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Not the plug but I can vouch for unexpected success slathering ample sheet onto the front corner of an oil pan that had nicked a rock and leaked most of the contents out.

Afternoon pan removal, sort of a thick icing on both sides in & out & thru the remaining crack ub the metal, overnight dry, & that sucker held up for the next 100,000 miles.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Get a cold chisel, or even a wood chisel you don't mind buggering up. Find a spot on the outer diameter that affords you some room to work. With a hammer get the chisel dug in (a good firm bite into the plug). Tap the chisel at an angle shallow enough to begin backing out the plug. Once it rotates few degrees, you can stick you 3/8 drive back in there and back it out fully.

Get a replacement plug and crush washer beforehand.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I’d put the chisel in the opening crossways get on it with a vice grip. Add heat and hammer taps as needed

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'd hit it with a heat gun or a portable torch. If you still have enough for the breaker bar to grab, try that with the heat. If not, use the chisel.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
It isn't just your Ford that has that problem, tried removing the plug in my Colorado's rear axle last week. No joy. Those plugs are so tight I don't think you could chisel, beat or any other applied force would break it loose. I think it's a real possibility you could crack a housing trying to get it out.
Greymann's second idea actually sounds like a winner. Your differential cover is probably sheet eteel so drilling it out for a bung you could tig-weld on would be very doable.
Thanks for the idea!

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Ford? This is on your new Expedition?? Confused Makes you wonder what else is rusted.

I don't see filling the hole with glue working. I think it would just shatter and fall out. If the drive hole is completely rounded out, and you have air and an air hammer, about the only thing you can do is try to catch an edge (if any sticks out) of the plug or the inside of the hole and try to "walk" it out with the chisel bit. Sharpen the chisel so it bites in and is less likely to slip out. I'm sure you've been soaking it in penetrant. Do you have an oxy-fuel torch? If the differential case is iron, heat it up until it just starts to glow red. Be very careful if it is aluminum. These plugs are typically a 3/8" pipe thread male plug.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post