SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for feedback from those who use iCloud
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for feedback from those who use iCloud Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
https://www.apple.com/icloud/

More specifically, if you have a 200GB plan that you share with family.

Do you like it? The cost seems very good.

Is there anything you do not like about it?

Got my mother in law an iPhone so she can standardize with my wife and myself. She also has an iPad to Facetime with the grand daughter.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have debates w/ myself everyday - I'm contradictory. I have all this storage space in the cloud. I never use it - I vowed that I would never put personally identifiable info in the cloud. And yet I use email which contains just that. I need to have a serious discussion with myself someday.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I have debates w/ myself everyday - I'm contradictory. I have all this storage space in the cloud. I never use it - I vowed that I would never put personally identifiable info in the cloud. And yet I use email which contains just that. I need to have a serious discussion with myself someday.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one here who talks to himself.

Yet my wife thinks I'm weird for that.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm an iCloud addict and needed the extra space for all of my device backups. That alone has saved many hours of frustration. I'm slowly migrating all documents up there too since its saving me when someone asks for a document and I only have my iPhone in hand. Document can be opened on all my devices and updated.

As for sharing with the family. Well they want their personal space. They know that it's good to keep their data central and accessible on their devices.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I have the iCloud 50 GB plan and think it's great. I share it with Mrs. Flash only.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I have the 50 GB plan also. I’m the only one that uses it. I have some spreadsheets, and documents on it. Also have all my manuals in PDF format up there. Like others have said, I can access everything from my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook. It’s very handy.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have the 50 GB now and will upgrade to larger when needed.
I do like Muddflap and keep photos and all sorts of stuff that takes up large space. My wife's is separate so that sort of acts a a bit of a firewall if someone were to access one of our accounts. The big data breaches get pretty much everybody anyway.
Easy to access across all my Apple stuff and can access it from my Windows computer too.
Another benefit is I can buy a smaller capacity phone and keep a bunch of that stuff in the cloud.
Seems like a great deal to me.

Posts: 9504 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the 50 GB plan to synch Mail, iMessage, and various other things. Also for my iPhone and iPad backups. I recently upped to the 200 GB plan to try to get my desktop and documents folders on iCloud but not sure if I'm going to really do it. Might go back to 50 GB plan.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
Yes, I'm an iCloud addict and needed the extra space for all of my device backups. That alone has saved many hours of frustration. I'm slowly migrating all documents up there too since its saving me when someone asks for a document and I only have my iPhone in hand. Document can be opened on all my devices and updated.

Ditto. Mrs. Angus and I share the space. We have tons of digital pictures. I love iCloud.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Had the family plan and somehow my phone started collecting her pics and she mine. Not all of them. Just random ones so I canceled it and we both just have our own 50gb plans.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
To expand even further...

I replaced my old MacBook with a new one earlier this year. I save everything on iCloud.

When I turned on my new MacBook, I just had to log on my iCloud account and all my data populated.

All my files and folders in the iCloud folder, all my music, all my pictures, all my calendar entries, contacts, emails, notes, reminders, even my browser bookmarks, ...everything.

No having to backup to an external hard drive.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both have the 50GB plan. I don't know why. I don't even have a clue how to access it. Hers said she needed an upgrade so she deleted a bunch of shit on hers and it still says she needs an upgrade

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
When I ran out of the free 5GB of iCloud storage I upgraded to the 50GB for 99¢/mo. plan. So did my wife. It's a good deal, IMO.

I'm not particularly trusting of cloud storage, but it's the only sensible thing to do with mobile devices, IMO. Plus my phone, tablet, and watch all being sync'd through iCloud means... well they're all sync'd. (How's that for a tautology? Big Grin)

In the end I've chosen to trust Apple's security and the fact that the data stored on iCloud is stored encrypted.

Really the only truly sensitive thing I have on there is my digital keyring (password safe). That's stored encrypted by the app, itself. So it's double-encrypted. There's really nothing much all that "sensitive" in the rest of the data on my mobile devices.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I use iCloud storage, but I mostly rely on Google Drive. I find Google Drive more intuitive to use. For example, if I want to upload a file or folder to Google Drive from my computer, I can do so while having it remain on my computer. I find it confusing that I have to make a duplicate of the file or folder I want to upload to iCloud to keep it in both places (in the cloud and on my computer). At least, that's how I use iCloud. If I'm doing it wrong, that just proves my point that Google Drive is more straightforward.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I worked in the IT industry for 38 years before retiring. I will never use a cloud account. They are easily hacked (ask stars who are dumb enough to save nude pics, etc to the cloud). Also your information does reside on a disk/electronic memory shared by others. If one of the others does something illegal that disk/electronic memory can be taken by the authorities. Your info then goes with it. Just not worth the risk to me.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I have the 200gb plan; I can barely operate my Macbook Air, iPad and iPhone, and have no idea where all the shit is stored and don't care. I've had a previous Mac go tits up, and the incredible hassle of rebuilding all the storage tells me the $3 or $4 a month is worth it. If I knew more about this stuff I'm sure I'd choose some other means of back-up - but I'm 70 and don't want to waste time learning shit like this.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Forgive this slight thread drift, my question goes in the exact opposite way.

My country is punishing us for spending hard currency. Prices are usually at least double of what you pay (don't even bother to figure out our income) but now they add an extra 35% luxury tax on top of it plus the real possibility of an IRS audit. Bottom line, Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and other streaming services are things you get from someone else but you don t get your name involved.

Now, the Q: Got the wife a MBP, an iPad and and iPhone. She needed a new puter for a zoom class she just finished. Her MBP was DOA (no official Apple in the country) so while it was being debated if were SOL or not (Apple replaced the faulty unit after 2 weeks), she got the iPad to start her Zoom class and the iphone to boot.
Her last iPhone was an 5s.

Her free iCloud space is almost full, we suspect it has stuff from ages ago.
How do i clean up her iCloud and do i need to follow up on each device she now owns?

For the time being, the 5gb should be fine.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I share the 200GB plan with my wife and it works well, no issues here.

Posts: 33799 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have the 50 GB plan each for 99 cents monthly per plan. If ever we need more, I'll go for a bigger plan and share with her.

It's more about ease of restoring the phone contents should you switch phones or have to reset a phone like when I jail breaked my iphones.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post