SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sea/touring kayaks, which is best?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sea/touring kayaks, which is best? Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We built our own in high school using canvas and dope.

Here is a list of different kayaks:

http://www.onthewater.com/fish...ea&mc_eid=61a89c4710

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aP5jTJQGZ0

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Trapper,

Yeah, it would be neat to do a carbon fiber boat but that mess is terrible to work with. It is hard to cut and LOVES to unravel on you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Dilettante,

I haven’t done much paddling at the beach or in surf. We have paddled mainly lakes and rivers. I froze in my lake this weekend practicing getting out of my kayak and getting back into it while in the middle of the lake. I have a Dagger Zydeco that is INCREDIBLY stable. My son and his friend tried to flip me and couldn’t. Once you got over the initial shock the water wasn’t so bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only like Sit on Tops.

BUT, for a sea/touring kayak it's really hard to beat the Ocean Kayak Malibu Too's. They're very stable whether with one person or two. They have a dedicated seat for 1 person only, and 2 other seats for 2. They track well, paddle easy, are well built and extremely stable.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post