SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Group of left wing activist employees at Spotify now demanding editorial control over Joe Rogan podcasts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Group of left wing activist employees at Spotify now demanding editorial control over Joe Rogan podcasts Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://www.digitalmusicnews.c...editorial-oversight/

Spotify Employees Demanding Direct Editorial Oversight Over Joe Rogan Podcasts — Before They’re Published

A group of Spotify staffers are now reportedly pushing to introduce direct editing oversight over The Joe Rogan Experience — before the episodes go live. That includes content flags, trigger warnings, references to fact-checked information, or simply refusing to publish an episode at all.
The demands follow a string of controversial comments by Joe Rogan, who was lured to Spotify in a massive, $100 million deal. Rogan’s appeal to millions of listeners is his unfiltered and irreverent approach, though that style isn’t sitting well with an activist group of Spotify staffers who say he needs to be reined in.

Earlier this month, Digital Music News first reported that multiple podcast episodes were missing following a migration to Spotify’s platform. That included controversial interviews with the likes of Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos, and Gavin McInnes. Also missing are episodes featuring right-wing figures like Owen Benjamin, Stefan Molyneux, and Charles C. Johnson.

But despite the glaring omissions, Spotify staffers are now stepping up their demands to control more of Rogan’s content. Vice first reported that Spotify employees have conducted more than ten meetings to discuss possible changes. Those discussions included proposals for the outright removal of additional podcast episodes.

Of particular focus in an earlier conversation featuring author Abigail Shrier, who wrote Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters. Shrier’s opinions on the matter drew howls of protest from certain Spotify staffers, who demanded its removal — though the episode is still available on the Spotify platform.

Now, Digital Music News has learned that the protesting employee group is stepping up its demands to control Rogan’s work.

Part of the rationale is that Spotify already exerts control over content like playlists, even those created by outside curators. So why not extend that oversight to podcasts as well?

This has reportedly gone all the way to the top, though Spotify CEO Daniel Ek appears to be pushing back. From a business standpoint, the reason is fairly obvious: Rogan’s audience likes his direct, unedited style, and could quickly abandon the comedian-podcaster if he’s edited. That might explain why the Shrier podcast is still live, though a strange development emerged earlier today.

In completely uncharacteristic fashion, Joe Rogan issued a public apology for comments made during his recent interview with Douglas Murray.
In the episode, Rogan alleged that left-wing activists had intentionally set wildfires in states like Oregon, a claim refuted by the FBI and other officials.

“I actually love Portland, it’s one of my favorite places to perform,” Rogan said. “Most of the people there are very nice. But there’s a madness going on there — you want to talk about the madness of crowds, that exemplifies that right now. They’ve arrested people for lighting forest fires up there, they’ve arrested left-wing people for lightning these forest fires. Air quote ‘activists,’ this stuff isn’t widely being reported.”

Earlier today, Rogan issued a mea culpa: “I need to make an apology and a retraction,” Rogan said on Instagram. “I said something on the podcast with Douglas Murray about people getting arrested for lighting fires, and I got duped. It’s wrong.”

Whether that apology was made under pressure from Spotify is unclear, though Spotify staffers want to edit comments like that before they get published. That would include simply cutting the section out, or issuing a warning and link to other information — similar to the oversight employed by Twitter and Facebook.

Of course, that level of oversight could create a serious rift between Rogan and Spotify. Beyond that, it could constitute a breach of contract, which would give Rogan an exit from the deal after delivering a handful of episodes.
Either way, this marriage looks troubled — just days after the honeymoon.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
What does his contract say? Whiny little shits

You can want in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills up first

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Spotify was Rogan's Crossroads.

Faustian.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the episode, Rogan alleged that left-wing activists had intentionally set wildfires in states like Oregon, a claim refuted by the FBI and other officials.

And:

Earlier today, Rogan issued a mea culpa: “I need to make an apology and a retraction,” Rogan said on Instagram. “I said something on the podcast with Douglas Murray about people getting arrested for lighting fires, and I got duped. It’s wrong.”

Wait, so all those stories and videos of people actually starting wildfires and got caught didn't actually happen???

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
More like the FBI is saying they haven't confirmed they were BLM/ANTIFA people, just for now arsonists.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have at it- Goes to the very heart of Platform vs Publisher + the associated liability.

Can't have it both ways.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think he got to where he is by being stupid. I would be thoroughly shocked if he didn't have coverage for this in his contract.

That's one of the main reasons he likes doing Podcasts because he can do exactly what he wants to do and if people like it great and if they don't no big deal find something else.

He used to complain about TV and having multiple layers of everything watering down and ruining the product so I'm sure he has this covered.

Those employees who think they should have control over his product need to find a job at Facebook.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
This is nuts. Never in a million years would I ever even consider doing something like this...especially as an employee!

Rogan has enough balls, sway and “fuck you” money to handle this. (I hope).

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
He probably knows exactly who they are. They should be invited to go camping. That will solve the problem

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Nhtagmember, I see you’re coming up on 50,000 posts. I never figured you for such a blabbermouth! Big Grin
Can’t wait for the karma.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Rogan will never allow this to happen. He won't give up that control over his content.

And why is Rogan apologizing for saying something that is true?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I watched some content online that offered conjecture this is really all about his offer to host a Trump/Biden debate. He's now being targeted to try and hurt him such that people will completely forget about any Rogan hosted debate. Rogan's smart enough, but more importantly, he's tough enough to jam this right back down the throats of these whiny babies. I think he's now learned his first mistake was ever apologizing in the first place. His podcast is not a news show, and he damn sure isn't a journalist (whatever that means today), so he had nothing to apologize for.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can print or Broadcast anything you want.
Just as long as it tows our party line!
[said in German accent as one goose steps away]

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post