SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question re: Tires\Alignment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re: Tires\Alignment Login/Join 
posted
2018 Nissan Armada with Toyo Open Country tires.
When I drive it after it has sat overnight I get a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Most pronounced at 65-75. Goes away in a few miles.
Tires have 30,000 miles and are not wearing funny. Lots of life left in them.
Any ideas what might be causing it?

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Still cold there? Uninsulated garage? Almost undoubtedly flat-spotting, but unusual for it to happen overnight and persist for quite some time.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
When is the last time you had them rotated and balanced?

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still in Florida so cold isn't the issue.
Rotated tires about 10,000 miles ago. Not sure if they checked balance.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Probably flat spotting like TMats said. I had a set of Nitto Motivos a while back and they were awful for that, even when it wasn't very cold. I could park it a few hours and the tires would flat spot and vibrate until I got a few miles down the road. After that they were smooth as they could be.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Still cold there? Uninsulated garage? Almost undoubtedly flat-spotting, but unusual for it to happen overnight and persist for quite some time.

This is probably the correct answer. I had the same thing with some tires when I lived in Alaska.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

This is probably the correct answer. I had the same thing with some tires when I lived in Alaska.
He said that he's in Florida. Not sure what part, but it has been daytime 80s, night 60s, here in the Orlando area, for a while.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That has tire(s) flat-spotting written all over it. Very unusual for it to happen overnight with modern tires, though. And since the flat spots will have ironed out, so to speak, by the time you get to the tire shop, it will be difficult to, um, spot. Are these the OEM tires?

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
That used to be a very common issue when nylon was used in the carcass. Fairly uncommon to be used in plies or belts now. But your situation is not uncommon either. Especially if it goes away in a couple miles don't worry about it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I had a set of new Uniroyal tires that flat-spotted really bad, but would even out by the time I got to the shop, and they "couldn't replicate the issue".

I was going away for a weekend anyway, so I scheduled a Monday Morning appointment and dropped off the vehicle Friday afternoon.

Got a call on Monday stating that 2 of the tires were un-balanceable, the other 2 were borderline, but due to being within the 'defect window" they'd credit the amount toward a different brand.

I havn't bought Uniroyal tires since.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the flat spotting mentioned. Car sometimes sits several days without use nowdays.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Sounds like the flat spotting mentioned. Car sometimes sits several days without use nowdays.

Yep, some brands worse then others. Being on the low side for air pressure will make it worse so check that if you haven't already.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tires shouldn't flat spot overnight. It could also be wheel bearings. Take the car to a tire shop and have them check the tires on the balancer and also make sure they don't wobble from side to side......I had generals that had a recall and all of the tires wiggled an inch from side to side when you spun the sheel on the balancer and watched it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
May be that brand of tire. I'd check the pressures too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Any deep mud? I had a similar symptom in the RAV4. There was a few pounds of dried mud on the inside of one of the rims. Knocked it out and all was good.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Have you tried going up on the cold air pressure about 3 pounds or so? What cold pressure are you using now.

Posts: 2676 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Regardless, after the 10k, I would make sure pressure is correct & rotate them.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Perhaps one of your particular tires is just more prone to it from a variable in manufacturing or materials. Move front to back and it might go away. You'd likely not feel it if it weren't hooked to the steering rack and wheel.

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Usually vibration in the wheel is balance on the fronts and vibration in your butt is balance in the rear - tires that is.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CV joint.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post