SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Decent tasting cost effective MREs.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent tasting cost effective MREs. Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Just to add:
Vodka and whatever other hard liquor you like.

It's medicinal, it's currency, and if the end is truly nigh...

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Come to think of, the LDS places have a really good water bottle filtration unit, with excellent price.

IIRC the brand is Seychelle and the price is under $15, and extra filters are available.

I’d definitely encourage everyone to have a way of purifying water

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Come to think of, the LDS places have a really good water bottle filtration unit, with excellent price.

IIRC the brand is Seychelle and the price is under $15, as well as extra filters are available.

I’d definitely encourage everyone to have a way of purifying water

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ LOL yep, except that won’t fit in the backpack and it goes stale and loses effectiveness after awhile.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^ LOL yep, except that won’t fit in the backpack and it goes stale and loses effectiveness after awhile.

I thought the OP was talking about 'Shelter in Place', not bugging out.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought the OP was talking about 'Shelter in Place' for a month or so, not bugging out.

Couple of gallons of bleach would be plenty.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, it will. I've taken it in an eyedropper on many backpacking trips. Big Grin

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^. Yep sometimes we get a little bit of thread drift.

However, FWIW, liquid chlorine bleach goes impotent after awhile. Go buy some Pool Shock, make SURE it’s Granular Calcium Hypochlorite. Stuff is cheap and for sale almost everywhere.

It’s cheap, lasts almost forever. Keep it in a glass jar with lid, follow advised safety instructions and precautions You could put a little in a small container for portability if you wish.

It’s all good and it’s fun to think about these things.

Best wishes to all y’all.

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what timeline is relevant, but household bleach is >6 months in mint shape and usable for what we are talking about for >12m.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
SPAM

It's all you need.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, FWIW, liquid chlorine bleach goes impotent after awhile. Go buy some Pool Shock, make SURE it’s Granular Calcium Hypochlorite. Stuff is cheap and for sale almost everywhere.

It’s cheap, lasts almost forever. Keep it in a glass jar with lid, follow advised safety instructions and precautions You could put a little in a small container for portability if you wish.

Pool shock is not 100% Ca(ClO)2. It has various fillers that may or may not be healthful. Instead get the dry chlorine for shocking well systems. That would be a safer bet. It comes in a bottle of little balls which makes handling easier.

Also, over time the chlorine will eat away and destroy almost any container in which it is stored, even the original packaging. Instead try glass clamp jars, with glass lid (no ring), then turn upside down and dip in melted wax to seal.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could remember where I bought the first set of MREs, I ordered years ago. Prior to expiration the family and I would try them. We were all actually surprised at how delicious some of them were. I ordered the next batch from somewhere else and comparatively, dog food would be better then those things.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

Pool shock is not 100% Ca(ClO)2. It has various fillers that may or may not be healthful. Instead get the dry chlorine for shocking well systems. That would be a safer bet. It comes in a bottle of little balls which makes handling easier.

Also, over time the chlorine will eat away and destroy almost any container in which it is stored, even the original packaging. Instead try glass clamp jars, with glass lid (no ring), then turn upside down and dip in melted wax to seal.

Isn't bleach destroyed from UV light?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Going back to the coffee question - a normal retail jar of Nescafe freeze-dried instant coffee is 7 ounces and makes around 100 cups of coffee. That's enough that you could just buy a couple of jars and be fine for a pretty good while.

In a brief search online, I also found 1kg cans (35 ounces, about 500 cups) and if you go up to bulk food service suppliers, 25 pound bags (400 ounces, about 5700 cups). The 25 pound bags are about $500 though, you could actually buy 25 pounds worth of 7 ounce jars for less money. On Amazon some of the 7 ounce jars are less than a dollar an ounce.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I can't get you anywhere near your price point. 2 people x 2 months for $200 isn't going to happen unless you resort to survival bars and multi-vitamins.

I can, however, vouch for the quality of the foodstuffs offered by My Patriot Supply.

It's tasty and good for 25 years. You'll probably spend close to $1K for 8 full weeks for 2 people @ 2K calories per day, but you won't notice you're eating survival food. I think they offer financing, too. For a 25 year investment, that's only $40/year for peace of mind that you won't have to worry about starving in the event of disaster.

ETA: My Patriot Supply sells the Datrex emergency survival bars if you really want. You'll need about 38 packages to stretch two months for 2 people and that's gonna run you less than $300. I did Medifast for 30 days and these probably taste better, so you could probably pull it off if you wanted to. Big Grin

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a pressure canner and learn how to preserve meat at home. I have done it with deer and pork loins and it is delicious. I usually do pint jars,and that is perfect for 2-3 people.

https://www.gopresto.com/conte...ressure-canning-meat

Pork loin roast are under $2.00 a pound where I live.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rob, was looking for 30 days at least to start with. I will check out the above info. We also only eat two meals a day or a snack and a meal per day, so we don't have to provide for three meals per day.

Not much of a coffee drinker anymore, but I think I will pick up a couple of containers of freeze dried to replace my Redbull habit as well. Probably some liquor of some type too for antiseptic/anesthesia purposes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Thanks for that reminder! I’d forgotten about them even though I usually have a dozen tins of King Oscar “Tiny Tots” bristling sardines on hand.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take some time to walk around your local SuperMarket and you will find a lot of foods you can keep on hand for emergencies that will have shelf lives over 2 years and food you would actually want to eat. Canned food, (meat,chicken),soups and stews, rice, beans,etc. Buy keep in stock and rotate. Have a good water source or bottled water, a good gas grill to cook on if power is out. And some MRE’s if you have to move for while.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
mountain house pouches for having to leave the house. #10 cans for the most bang for your buck. Have some food to mix with it. They tend to be high in sodium so eating only taht for a month may not be ideal!!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post