SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Decent tasting cost effective MREs.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent tasting cost effective MREs. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bulk canned food and rice, beans are your budget go-tos.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
If you're an NRA member, you are entitled to a membership in Expertvoice, which enable you to get discounts on many items. I buy my GunVault safes through them (I just became Daniel Defense certified there). Several of the food brands are
  • Peak Refual
  • Food For the Sole
  • Katadyn Products
  • LifeStraw (for clean drinking water
and others.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Now if someone could figure out a way to package coffee for long term storage!

I bet freeze-dried instant coffee lasts pretty much forever. Some of them aren't bad. I generally buy whole bean coffee and grind it right before brewing, but my wife bought a jar of Nescafe decaf instant for when she wants a quick cup of decaf in the evening. It doesn't taste the same as a good cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee, but it tastes just fine, there isn't anything objectionable about it. There's bound to be a place to buy it in giant economy-sized buckets.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

... It doesn't taste the same as a good cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee, but it tastes just fine, there isn't anything objectionable about it.

i agree -- definitely don't forget coffee in the equation

'bad coffee' would be infinitely better than NO coffee

------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Most MREs are decent tasting nowadays. I like to keep a layered system of emergency food.

1) First layer is canned goods, peanut butter, crackers, tuna, canned fruit, rice, etc.

2) MRE meals that require no or very little water to heat.

3) Freeze dried full meals like Mountain House that requires some water.

4) Long term food storage such as dehydrated items that are stored in cans such as onions, beans, rice, sugar, potatoes, wheat, carrots, etc.

Most everything I will eat as it gets close to expiration and then replace it. #4 items will last 30+ years. I also keep a layered system of ensuring I have water to cook items with.

I have done the calculations and keep a spreadsheet to ensure I have one year of food for both my wife and I in case we ever needed it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:

... It doesn't taste the same as a good cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee, but it tastes just fine, there isn't anything objectionable about it.

Never even thought about coffee. Probably a good idea. I do have a lot of salt stored. Salt doesn’t expire and you can do a lot with it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agree with the salt. sugar too. as previously suggested -- olive oil is a good one

other random things too:

plenty of toilet paper / wipes

i try to keep 10+ cases of 24-count bottled water on hand for drinking

battery powered radio with extra batteries

lighters / matches / candles

--------------------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter is a good addition - tons of calories and doesn’t need to be cooked. Lasts a lot longer than the sell by date as well. I consider canned goods to be nearly immortal so long as it’s stored well but you should be aware of the warning signs.

FWIW, I ate some corned beef hash with a sell- by date of 2015 last weekend and lived to tell the tale.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Most MREs are decent tasting nowadays. I like to keep a layered system of emergency food.

1) First layer is canned goods, peanut butter, crackers, tuna, canned fruit, rice, etc.

2) MRE meals that require no or very little water to heat.

3) Freeze dried full meals like Mountain House that requires some water.

That's exactly what I do as well.

The 1st layer of canned/jarred goods is all stuff I usually eat/cook with, so it gets rotated and replenished regularly. The 2nd layer get rotated every few years, since I crack open the oldest case of 12 MREs each year to eat once a month or so for lunches or the like, and buy a new, fresh case for the stockpile. The 3rd layer doesn't really get rotated, unless I take some camping (and we don't really go camping much any more), but it lasts for ~30 years so I'm not worried about it.

I don't have your 4th layer, because I'm not planning on living off my stockpile for months/years.

I also keep about 6 cases of bottled water on hand, taking bottles out of the oldest as needed and adding a fresh case once it's gone.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Bulk canned food and rice, beans are your budget go-tos.

no kidding

there are whole countries who basically survive on a diet of primarily rice and beans... with maybe an egg or two thrown in occasionally

----------------------

posted Hide Post
I like where this thread is going.

quote:
quote:

I've recently found that I like the vacuum packed foil wrapped bricks of Fair Trade German Roasted Mild ground coffee Aldi's carries. YTMV, but I like it, I'd bet it lasts a while, and it sure stacks nice.

Edit to add: I use this in a Keurig machine.

Also, any recommendations for a substitute for half and half? I'd like something better than a powdered substitute, maybe evaporated milk?

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:
I like where this thread is going.

quote:
quote:

I've recently found that I like the vacuum packed foil wrapped bricks of Fair Trade German Roasted Mild ground coffee Aldi's carries. YTMV, but I like it, I'd bet it lasts a while, and it sure stacks nice.

Edit to add: I use this in a Keurig machine.

Also, any recommendations for a substitute for half and half? I'd like something better than a powdered substitute, maybe evaporated milk?

You can get completely dehydrated milk powder. I have no idea the shelf life, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
Peanut butter is a good addition - tons of calories and doesn’t need to be cooked. Lasts a lot longer than the sell by date as well. I consider canned goods to be nearly immortal so long as it’s stored well but you should be aware of the warning signs.

FWIW, I ate some corned beef hash with a sell- by date of 2015 last weekend and lived to tell the tale.

Gotcha beat, about 3 weeks ago I had some with a best by date of 2013, tasted great and we all lived to tell about it too.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:

Yep. Canned evaporated/condensed milk has a shelf life of several years.

Just keep in mind that most is sweetened for use in things like baking and making desserts. You might have to hunt around a bit for unsweetened.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
I consider canned goods to be nearly immortal so long as it’s stored well but you should be aware of the warning signs.

I am not an expert on this, so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that as long as the can/jar was properly processed (i.e. was held at a high enough temperature long enough) and the seal remains intact, canned goods will stay safe to consume essentially forever, although the color, texture, and flavor may deteriorate over time.

Basically as long as the can isn't bulged out or the jar's safety button popped up (botulism from improper processing) or dented/rusted (possible broken seal) it is safe (but may be bland, mushy, or otherwise gross if it's really old).

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
After reading replies, I definitely need to rethink my ideas. Was originally thinking I wanted stuff that didn't require hot water. Guess I should just stock up on propane tanks and stick with classical cheap easy things like rice and beans and supplement that with canned stuff. Will definitely be looking into Mountain House.

I need to be prepared for normal things like natural disasters, power loss, insurrection. The possibility of coronavirus or other widespread sickness affecting supply chains has me worried. I want to have 30 days since that's a seemingly reasonable compromise between unprepared and ready for TEOTWAWKI.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
BTW Costco has a 6-pack of One Gallon jugs of water for less than $5.00.

Take a $20 bill and some coins and get 24 gallons put up.

We've got tornado season coming up in a couple months.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Might I mention the venerable SPAM? Along with Ramen, I question do they ever expire.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I may have to start buying my beer by the pallet like Grumpybiker(?), just to be safe.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I keep cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and rolled oats in stock. The beef stew for general nutrition and the oats for good fiber content. I eat the rolled oats dry – like ‘em best that way (nut-like flavor) and so convenient.

Also German-baked Mestemacher pumpernickel. More fiber, and unopened six-slice packets keep good for months at room temperature.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post