SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you remember the first time you saw genuine crazy in real life?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you remember the first time you saw genuine crazy in real life? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I guess I was nine or ten. My dad had this friend named Charles. I liked listening to his stories because he had been in Korea. It was damn interesting to me to hear about firing machine guns so much that the barrels glowed cherry red and drooped from gravity. He talked about being in combat. It wasn't like war movies. It was very interesting.
I never said much in his presence but he gave me a hard time, calling me girls names and speaking to others about me like I wasn't there. My dad's other friends didn't act this way towards me. I guess I just accepted it about the guy because I found him interesting. It's kinda screwed up when you think about it. Maybe he was unhappy. Who knows.
I do recall that he gave me a nice Christmas present- a folding saw, and I used that sucker, too.

Well, ol' Charles had a wife. I don't remember too much about her, except this one night. Charles and his wife were visiting my parents house. We were all in the living room (They had no kids of their own), business as usual, small talk, coffee, etc.
Come time to leave, they say their goodbyes and walk out to get into their car. Just a few seconds later, Charles' wife comes back with this odd smile on her face. She's looking at my dad. He laughs and says "What?" She smiles even more, grinning ear to ear. Again, my dad says "What?" He's uncomfortable but trying to be polite.
She says something like "I know you're that little kid."

Again "What?"

"You're that little kid, down in the dirt and his nose is runny. Come on, you know. You know!"

By this time, she's grinning like the Joker. I can't take my eyes off of her. The next thing I know, my mom is taking me out of the room. Here comes Charles passing us in the hallway to gather up his wife. I heard him saying to my dad "I'm so sorry."
After that, we didn't see either of them for a long time.

In terms of the insanity of the world, this is nothing, but it was rather remarkable at that age to witness someone having some sort of psychotic episode, and at the drop of a hat, no less.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plenty of crazy stuff growing up. I did not realize how insane until I was older. Growing up in a large metro area, saw plenty of people laying on benches and talking to themselves. I was about five and asked my Dad if that guy was dead because he was not moving. He said he was probably passed out and told me to move along.

In my teen years, my friends mom went to the state hospital for psychotic episodes on a monthly basis. His father killed himself one day in the garage. I just thought all that was normal.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was sorta sheltered growing up. I was 40 before I saw genuine diagnosable crazy in the wild. We were doing the memorials and museums rounds in DC when we passed a homeless woman having an argument on a cellphone that wasn't there. "That was my paycheck motherfucker!" Eek

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I was 20 and working in a jail. There was a guy in solitary confinement, who was polite enough every time I saw him, and he called every deputy captain. He thought he was on a ship and he also thought he was Adolph Hitler.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
There was a guy in highschool named Randy that claimed to be a vampire, wore a cape to school every day. He was dead serious said he liked the taste of blood. The kid was wacked for sure.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. A couple of very close relatives suffer from schizophrenia. They're both on and off the street, it's very sad. I remember being VERY frightened as a child. Her mother got hauled off to the state mental institution in St. Joseph, MO. Then her father committed suicide. Very depressing.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
There was a guy in highschool named Randy that claimed to be a vampire, wore a cape to school every day.
Randy the Vampire. Oddly, I feel no fear.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I was likely 9 or 10 as well. My grandparents took my brother and I to Kings Island (an amusement park just north of Cincinnati)and we were riding the tram from the parking lot to the front gate. You know the open air cars that had maybe 4 or 5 benches per car that sat 4 across. With the tractor and likely 5 cars. It was a full day so you are talking around 100 people on the tram total.
We were smack in the middle of the tram and all of the sudden the guy in his 30s behind us just starts yelling "Fuck You Old Man!!" directed at my grandfather.
Not once did my grandfather acknowledged the guy not once. I looked over his shoulder once just see what was going on. The guy just kept yelling "Fuck You Old Man!!" and got more agitated as my grandfather ignored him. He then began to rip off his clothes and throw them at people waiting at tram stops. He continued to yell and curse.
Finally the tram stopped and some folks not sure if it was security or police tried to snatch a hold of the guy and bit of a tussle ensued.
Knowing what I know know he was probably high. As a kid I had no idea about drugs really and no idea what was going on.
I also had no understanding why my grandfather ignored the guy. I presume now my grandfather was well aware it was only words that the fella would be spewing and much easier to deal with. I have no doubt if the fella would have tried to grab a hold of my grandmother, my brother, or me that the fella would have been wishing the police had gotten to him before my grandfather.
I can only imagine without a doubt the country ass whooping my grandfather would have unleashed on this guy. But my grandfather kept it cool.

Since then I have seen so many sorts of crazy somethings I still don't believe myself.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Back when I was young, real young, we had a shortcut to get to the store. It involved going over the back fence, cutting through some apartments, and then crossing the next road and through FiFi Carpenters side yard. FiFi was a piece of work. Middle age, not particularly good looking to any of us, except she was nekkid. If you wanted to see what a real nekkid woman looked like, there she was. Certifiably crazy with a resume to prove it. And she was once an attorney. She also ran for President a few times, but only locally.

She did have a daughter who was good looking, but embarrassed about her mother. Understandably. She didn't date much because she didn't want a guy to pick her up at home.

Dogs diagnose crazy and don't like it. My dog Spot took a lot of walks with me. We'd often stop and talk with friends. One day we were in a guys front yard and Ole Spot started going crazy himself. Very unlike him. But then I saw the reason. A crazy woman was dancing up the middle of the street and singing. There is no doubt in my mind that had I let him go, he would have attacked her. He was about as mad as I've ever seen him, and we spent most of 13 years together. He sensed she wasn't right and didn't like it a bit.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Who is to say crazy, or merely odd?

We had some people in town who acted odd, erratic, over boisterous sometimes, saying peculiar things about events. They didn't seem to be a danger to themselves or anyone else.

There was one fellow, a youth worker at the church. He disappeared, without trace or mention ever again, reputedly after being caught outside some lady's window.

I wondered about a couple of guys in college. They had some strange ideas about how things worked or not.

I was a participant in a group of middle aged athletes, runners, triathletes who ran together at lunch in Balboa Park. There was a gym where there were dressing rooms, showers which we used nearly everyday after the run. We were very often joined by one or another of the homeless people. One fellow we named "Bubbles" because he would stand under a shower for a very long time, soaping all up, then rinsing, and repeat, over and over. Another guy carried on rather involved conversations in the shower, with himself. His name was "Monologue." Attempts to join the conversation were repulsed.

One fellow who threatened to kill me I thought might be crazy. It happened that I was representing a psychiatrist at the time, in an unrelated matter. I talked with him. From my description of this fellows antics, the shrink thought he was probably asocial, a personality disorder that can range from very mild to acute requiring professional intervention.

I'm not sure I have ever encountered a mental meltdown.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
We had a woman in town when I was a kid up through high school who we used to call Walkie Talkie. Because she'd walk around town all day long puffing a cigarette and talking to herself.

Other than that I didn't see much until I started working in public safety, in particular EMS in various cities. You see all kinds of crazy doing that.

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My birth mom is mean as a rattlesnake and bipolar. I didn't realize how crazy all that was until later. You wouldn't believe half of it. I'm thankful I can't remember all of it. I was able to get away from it in 7th grade and got my sister out a year later.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
It must be 30 years ago but the episode I had was trying to help a neighbor who was a bit bent by his experiences in Vietnam. There were 3-4 couples living in the apartments who were social, and the wife got scared when she learned her husband was changing for the worse and started sleeping with a sword under his pillow.

We tried to help, so we listened and coaxed some stories from him. started when his best friend was killed in front of him. He hated so much he enjoyed his job too much. The part that widened my eyes was when he said he felt killing was better than sex for him. He was getting lost in his crazy. At the time I was LIVING for sex. The juxtaposed views were both unnerving and motivating for me to help. I got to thinking he felt he was broken and evil. I did my best to let him know while I was not there, I also could not judge him for when he was there. Tried to find a positive message forward that he should forgive his wartime self and do his best to see what stateside life was offering him.

I/ we all asked him to say these thing to the VA therapist he was seeing as well. Moved away short time later but we can all hope he found his way.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2004 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
At age 6, I accompanied my Dad to a downtown building in Houston. While waiting in the car for him to complete his business, I observed a bum like creature standing in front of a pawn shop window watching 3 golden balls randomly move in a circle for at least an hour.

I asked my Dad what he was doing. He only said stay away from people who are enraptured by repetition. No good can come from it.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I saw it before I realized what crazy was, probably around 12 years old.

My friend's mother was bi-polar and schizophrenia and could shift gears faster than you could keep up. She did not bring people home often because of her mother. We were close so I was around more often but the more I was around the more she would ask me to meet her down the street as her mother would use me as a tool against her in her emotional head games.

I learned much more about it years later when we were adults.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
My grandmother had a major stroke when I was very young. We tried to care for her at home, but it was too much. Eventually we had to put her in a facility where she could get dedicated care. Yep, a nursing home.

Visiting there to see her, was like visiting an asylum. One lady I will never forget, would just silently sit there and slowly and repeatedly bang her head against the wall. All I ever saw her do. They had her in a football helmet.

Oddly, this wasn't entirely.... novel. Just more concentrated.

You grow up in the big city, you see things.

One time, I was maybe 5 or 6, I was going to a store on the avenue with my dad. Walking towards us down the avenue was some old man who didn't look quite right. He had a strange look on his face while walking. Then he slightly paused, did a little shake, slightly lifted one of his pant legs, and a turd fell out. Full size. (At this point he's less than 10 feet from us.) He said not a word and resumed walking toward us.

My dad just ignored it, so so did I. Stepped around the turd.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
He only said stay away from people who are enraptured by repetition. No good can come from it.
Far out Big Grin

Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I grew up with several sick relatives. I knew crazy before I knew normal.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My crazy was more the squalor "Hoarders" type.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was working USPS part time college job, & drove around the shire for several hours nearly daily. I would see this gaunt old man wandering about, usually in a suit coat & some raggedy pants, and always bare-foot regardless of season or weather.

My group had tried to determine who/what he was doing, but never came up with any definite conclusion.

I had my head deep into a large corner-parcel pick up box (yes, poor situation awareness) and was startled to hear some kind of gibberish from just over my exposed shoulder.

Recovering position discovered it was 'him' and he had managed to launch into some full throated and basic incomprehensible string of words that had no meaningful structure or content relationship. He did *see* me but was not responsive to any verbal or eventually physical response I made to his brief pauses in his own narrative.

Finally I just thru my mail sack in the van & drove away. A lot of the wonderful theories we had considered of metaphysical savant was discarded that day.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post