SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do the Brits drive on the left side of the Road?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do the Brits drive on the left side of the Road? Login/Join 
posted
The question arose when I was reading the thread about why things are a certain way. Anyone know?

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told that it was because jousting knights carried their lances with their right arm necessitating an approach from the left. This could be utter BS so no flaming please.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s always been obvious to me: So double-oh seven (or is it double naught?) and gang could shoot out the window on the right with their right hands. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Swords, he touches on it here... (actual facts are who knows)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do the Brits drive on the left side of the road?

Becuse they lean to the left?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
I was told that it was because jousting knights carried their lances with their right arm necessitating an approach from the left. This could be utter BS so no flaming please.

Jousters carried their lance with their right arm but attacked to the left, so the jousting reference makes no sense. It's more likely that the right hand was the sword hand, so a rider tended to stay to the left so he could draw his sword and attack or defend if needed.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve often wondered about that too. In days of old, knights meeting on the open road would likely pass to the right, so that they’d meet shield-to-shield, with their sword arm free.

That ought to lead to cars passing to the right. But it didn’t…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Michigan was the first painted center line, 1911 at the behest of Edward N. Hines, predated California by six years.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
But there were knights in more countries than just Britain. They were on mainland Europe too. There were French, German and Italian knights, so why don't they drive on the left too?

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
https://www.2pass.co.uk/goodluck.htm

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Right handed sword protection.

Horse paths turned into roads and there you go.

Why do we drive on the right ?

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, story relayed by a Brit tour manager, and I have not checked it. But, it’s entertaining.

Brits and most of Europe started their traffic management back I the horse era. To the left was kept, so that opposing riders could be met with sword or handshake, as needs be.

Except Napoleon was left handed. Where Napoleon went, laws changed. And once changed, inertia set in, and they remained.

Hitler was a fan (Godwins Law is now invoked). Wherever Hitler conquered, if it wasnt already drive to the right, it was changed so. A quick Google says this isn’t precisely so, though the Germans may have advanced timetables.

In America, the first traffic laws were in Philadelphia, where people were driving teams of horses from the left side (keep the whip hand towards the team). Therefore, they all “drove” on the right.

Again, it ain’t thoroughly fact checked, though there is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...d_right-hand_traffic

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One of the explanations I was told and not sure if it was for RHT or LHT but it was to allow wagon drivers to watch their wheels as they passed another wagon coming opposite?

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
it was to allow wagon drivers to watch their wheels as they passed another wagon coming opposite?

Well that would be true for either right- or left-hand drive.

Tomorrow I'm renting a car in Christchurch, NZ, and will be driving on the "wrong side" for the first time. Told just to keep telling myself "me in the middle".

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ive heard the Knights rode horses on the left to be able to use their swords. Ive also heard in America, we rode horses on the right as it was easier to draw a pistol and shoot to the left, or carry a rifle across the saddle bow.

Dont know the validity of either theory, but they sound cool!

Cheers
Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
75 other countries also drive on the left. While some were part of the British Empire, others, such as Thailand and Japan were not.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
We could legitimately ask why we drive on the right.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've heard that Japan was the same reason, swordhand while on horseback, but also to avoid the errant clashing of scabbards between passing Samurai, a breach of ettiquette which technically meant an instant duel to the death.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Because they are right-handed. Carry the whip in the right hand. Sit in the right seat. Better line of sight and use of whip in the turns.

The colonies drove on the other side in rebellion.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because their steering wheels are on the right side of their vehicles Smile

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post