SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Citigroup Becomes First Major Bank to Restrict Some Gun Sales
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Citigroup Becomes First Major Bank to Restrict Some Gun Sales Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Why pay for gun stuff with citi cards? It only gives them your money.

Destroy the card and get a card from their competitor, then go buy gun stuff.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Why pay for gun stuff with citi cards? It only gives them your money.

Destroy the card and get a card from their competitor, then go buy gun stuff.

Why give any cc companies your money, as long as your pay off the entire balance each month.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Why give any cc companies your money, as long as your pay off the entire balance each month.

CC companies don't get any money from me, but do make money every time I use their card. The issuing bank (e.g. Citibank) and the cc company/network (e.g., VISA) both take a percentage of the transaction, which is paid by the merchant, who factors that into his pricing. That's why some gas stations have different prices for cash vs. credit.

If folks stop using Citi cards, it hurts Citigroup.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes, using citibank cards to buy gun stuff just gives more money to Citigroup.

Cancel the darn cards.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarinetoRN:
I had a shittyBank credit card years ago. Couldn't wait to pay it off even back then. Now I deal only with Navy Federal Credit Union whenever possible.

We call it "Shittybank" down here, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
This is a perfect example proving the need for decentralized crypto currencies. Bitcoin will never deny or restrict a transaction because of the underlying product or service its being exchanged for. Imagine other banks following suit and these pricks in their ivory towers who know nothing about reality are now dictating to gun retailers how they are allowed to transact business. They're relevant because they control everything money. Take that away and they'll be begging all their vendors to stay and sell whatever they want so long as they hit their bottom line.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Razz

Rep. Todd Rokita (R-IN) and fifteen other Republicans sent a letter to the General Services Administration (GSA) urging the government agency to re-evaluate a $700 billion contract with Citibank due to the financial giant’s anti-gun policies.

Rokita said in a statement on Thursday:

This flagrant disregard for American citizens and their God-given Second Amendment rights cannot be tolerated. Those who seek to undermine those God-given rights do not deserve taxpayer dollars and should be denied federal contracts. Congress has sworn to uphold the Constitution, and it is paramount that we stand united for the American people and their right to bear arms.

Reps. Thomas Massie (R-KY), Paul Gosar (R-AZ), Matt Gaetz (R-FL), and Louie Gohmert (R-TX) are a few of the prominent Republican lawmakers included on the letter urging the GSA to re-evaluate their contract with Citibank.

Citibank used a March 22 “Commercial Firearms Policy” to announce a requirement that gun stores quit selling “high-capacity” magazines to do business with the bank.

Rokita said in a statement to the Daily Caller, “This flagrant disregard for American citizens and their God-given Second Amendment rights cannot be tolerated.”

Rokita hopes to win Indiana Republican Senate primary and then defeat Sen. Joe Donelly (D-IN) in the November Senate 2018 midterm race.

The House Republicans wrote in their letter to the GSA:

Because of Citibank’s new guidelines targeting customers wishing to exercise their legal Second Amendment rights, we urge you to cancel Citibank’s participation in the SmartPay 3 contract, and award it to a company that does not unfairly restrict a customer’s constitutional rights.

Breitbart News reported that Visa refused to cave in to media pressure to force the company to cut ties with semiautomatic rifle manufacturers.

“We do not believe Visa should be in the position of setting restrictions on the sale of lawful goods and services,” Visa argued.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...e-anti-gun-policies/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
Damn. Just cancelled the NRA card from Omaha National, and got approved for a Citi Master Card. Now they do this shit.

Stop dealing with big banks. Period. Join a credit union and get a CU card.

I dumped commercial banks decades ago. Every time I see more stunts like CitiGroup and BoA pulled I'm reminded again of why.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We cannot stop using shitty group!

Never used it in the first place.

We use a credit union mastercard and pay it off every month.

We decided decades ago not to use those big bank operations for anything.

Couple it all together with all these "mergers" and we begin to see what they have in store for us.

Which brings up the question:
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THAT FEDERAL LAW ABOUT MONOPOLIES, ETC?"

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider this.

CITI charges vendors between 1.75-2% on transactions.

If you have their double rewards card, they pay 2 % every month assuming you pay off your full balance, leaving them zero interest.

When you factor in the cost of administering your account, CITI would actually be losing $ in this scenario.

Fortunately for big banks like CITI, most people do not pay off their monthly balances.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
Damn. Just cancelled the NRA card from Omaha National, and got approved for a Citi Master Card. Now they do this shit.

Stop dealing with big banks. Period. Join a credit union and get a CU card.

I dumped commercial banks decades ago. Every time I see more stunts like CitiGroup and BoA pulled I'm reminded again of why.

I have a CU Visa. It’s my main card, but I wanted a backup. I basically use it for automatic renewals and my wifes mail order prescriptions.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I second the credit union route. I have been a member of two credit unions for the past two plus decades. One national, one local. The national one is my primary and they have been outstanding on any needs I have had, wherever I have been. The local one is just a passbook savings account I have. For years I have had an allotment going to them and I have no electronic access to the account at all. I have to physically walk into the bank to make a withdrawal. (It helps that this one is in Maine and I currently live in NC, and I have not "lived" in Maine in years.)

I do feel that if banking institutions get too big to the point that they can affect lawful commerce based solely on their political or personal beliefs something needs to be done. They may be private institutions but they sure as hell have taken whatever handouts the .gov has given them without question.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post