SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Also, this thread is not about gear, or buying this or that.

Man do I ever agree with that...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've been shooting a bit lately, made a couple of changes to a rifle I keep close at hand and I wanted to check it for function.

I'm glad to see some people in the world waking up to the barbaric nature of some in this world, but it's not enough not nearly enough, not yet.

We have a president who couldn't manage to keep us secure in the highly unlikely possibility that he would actually care to even try to keep this nation secure.

We are on our own in the face of imminent danger. This is not simply talk. I am not some young man full of hyperbole. This is real. We in the United States now face guerrilla-style attacks from cells of these psychopaths, and we, each of us, are on our own.

The odds are against you encountering such a thing. This nation is so vast, the odds are astronomically low that you will be at the wrong place at the wrong time. For some reason I do not take comfort in this.

So, I've been shooting a bit lately, and today I cleaned my rifle and threw three extra loaded magazines in the bag.

The first post, as a refresher.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Today I worked on a friend's rifle. He had an A2 upper which was fine, but his eyes are old like mine and he found aiming to be unsatisfying. I swapped an flat top upper onto his barrel and found an Aimpoint to mount atop. He will be much more accurate with this combo and will enjoy the experience more. I have been all set with 10,000 rounds of M855 and one well equipped AR for each member of my family for quite a while. Now I am helping others so prepare. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
This week I built a new rifle from a unfinished Spike’s Crusader lower that had been sitting around. I have collected all the parts over the past few months and finally just decided it was time. I have enough spare parts to build another, but have more than I need already. My next project is to SBR a SCAR 16.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I started this thread in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo attack.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I’m just glad I finally have a rifle to clean! It may not be an AR or AK, but my lever-action .30-30 is more than I’ve had in years, so now it will stay clean and ready!

Maybe someday I will be able to afford an AR, but for now my Marlin 30AW will do just fine. Big Grin

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Para's OP seemed like good advice to me, something I could do, without, you know, really getting involved. So I cleaned my rifle shot it some, more function testing than an ass busting day at the range, but I shot it some.

About a year and a half ago with no particular motivation, just paying attention to George Stephanopolis and his ilk the scales fell from my eyes. I cleaned it, inventoried my gear added 20 mags and made sure they were in the bag and the bag was shoulder mountable and good to go.

I've had two interesting trips to build skill, one local, one down in Oregon and now the gun has moved from its lock up in the garage to our bedroom. I'm not any more terrified or shaky now than I was 20 months ago, I've just been listening to them tell us who they are...and I believe them. So I will take no offense at somebody reminding me to clean my rifle.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I’m just glad I finally have a rifle to clean! It may not be an AR or AK, but my lever-action .30-30 is more than I’ve had in years, so now it will stay clean and ready!

Maybe someday I will be able to afford an AR, but for now my Marlin 30AW will do just fine. Big Grin

For the last several years the only centerfire rifle I have had is my Marlin 336. I recently bought two AR lowers and plan on building a rifle and a pistol out of them. If the left had left me alone I may have never bought another AR but they made me remember that I need to be ready.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Today I was reminded why I enjoy shooting with my friends. It lets me clean out the old ammo for new. And to reload and clean the weapons. I don't often agree with Para, but he has a point here. You fall to your level of training. So train

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I cleaned my new rifle for the first time yesterday. I did it at my Dad's house. It was a very enjoyable father/son time!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn't want to be on the other end of someone armed with a Marlin (or Winchester) lever .30-30. Light, handy, affordable, holds plenty of rounds, utterly reliable, and packs a punch.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:

I wouldn't want to be on the other end of someone armed with a Marlin (or Winchester) lever .30-30. Light, handy, affordable, holds plenty of rounds, utterly reliable, and packs a punch.

True! I just can't seem to figure out how to insert one of those evil high-capacity 'clips' into it! LOL

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I cleaned and lubed all of my AR-15's. Replaced the batteries on my optics and made my weekly run to pick up a little more ammo and powder for my reloads. I also have been in the hunt for some replacement parts for my Sig556r. Its been a good rifle for me. A couple of days ago optics planet showed they had three Sig556r replacement firing pins in stock. I ordered one and I shipped yesterday.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/s...firing-pin-556r.html

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris Cox - Another reason to be aware of the goings on in the neighborhood - So-called activists vandalizing Chris Cox's home

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Today I will clean four rifles. Yesterday at the church camp out, I introduced 3rd thru 6th graders to hitting steel plates with scoped rifles.
Something about training up children.....

I suspect that I will be called on again to repeat yesterday soon.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Reply old adage, " One is none and two is one" , had us going through everything that we have two of and packing them up in some of our GOOD bags.
It only took about three hours but we laughed and planned a lot for a few JICs.

My wife said she would do it was predicated on my not using the words " oh, we need more of these."
Or, anything meaning we should buy something.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post

It had been a good long while. The POF Puritan had about 600 rounds through it since new. It got its first good cleaning. The MPX has about 1000 total, 250 on this cleaning. The Sig 556r had about 90 between cleanings. The POF p308 had 70 rounds through it and is still really tight. The Kriss vector has about 500 rounds through it, 100 on this cleaning.

All in all an enjoyable afternoon. I now have a headache from the hoppes, and pollen falling here at my place in va.

I helped a neighbor pick up his first AR on saturday. He brought it over and we went through it and got it all sorted out for him. he also bought a new to him ruger american 9mm. Challo is 68 ish and has been through 4 shoulder and elbow surgeries in the last two years. He usually hunts with a browning BAR ins 7mm RM, or a black powder with 150 grains of powder. So he was just inlove with the AR's light recoil. I think he is looking forward to a 300 black out upper for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Teaching someone new to firearms is a learning experience unto itself.
The more you do it, the more you potentially learn.
Good for you.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaned one, need to clean another this evening. Took out 2 rifles that I rarely shoot to check that the scopes are still zeroed. An old Remington 760 in .30-06, and a 10/22. Minor tweaking needed. Easier to get to the range with the nicer weather.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Today, I put a scope on a friend's Mini14 (Nikon P223)..
tomorrow morning I will bore sight it for him

I do what I can, when I can.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post