SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Then reload the magazine, wiping each cartridge with a silicone cloth. Can't hurt.

Actually, it can.

Okay, it probably won’t matter too much with a common defensive autoloading handgun, but it is definitely something to be avoided with rifle cartridges. At the moment of a cartridge’s firing, the case expands to fill the chamber and adhesion occurs between the case and the chamber wall. That lasts until the pressure drops and the case springs back part way to its original size due to the elasticity of the case metal. That adhesion between the case and chamber helps hold the case in the chamber rather than its being pushed back with full force against the bolt, and that in turn lessens stress on the locking lugs.

The problem with putting lube on the cartridge or lubing the chamber is that that adhesion between case and chamber wall is reduced because of, … well, the lubricant. That then results in greater setback pressure and stress on the locking lugs and recesses of the bolt and receiver.

I don’t know that that brief adhesion between case and chamber has any effect in a handgun like the Walther, but it might.

In any event, as a general practice cartridge cases and firearms chambers should be kept dry and free of added lubricants.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Trying to anticipate what might happen: As the Democrats, MSM and some Republicans go after President Trump, demonstrations in support of Trump are going to get bigger and more frequent. This is likely to be the flashpoint-- violent counter demonstrations, in which those rallying for President Trump are attacked. (This has already begun to happen, yesterday in California, for example.)

But Obama and his toadies want sustained violent disorder. See Loretta Lynch's statement in the Trump thread. We are not divided geographically, North and South. We don't live in totally separate places or neighborhoods. If their goal is the sustained violence of a civil war, how do they accomplish this? Is it even possible?

We cannot anticipate it, that wastes energy. Develop a family plan that will work in all conditions, then enjoy a physically active lifestyle if you can.

The communists want sustained violent disorder, they won't get it though. The vast majority of their followers are good at crying but not much else, they'll be really upset if they can't Xbox or iCrapple.

Remember the occupy movement, where is that now.

You certainly are right about that. What makes the commies dangerous is that they use the force of govt. to execute their plan. I don't think there is one commie in this country who could enforce his subversion without the arm of govt. We see that there are many in govt. who mindlessly or willfully enforce the will of commies here. Those are they whom we should fear.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

It makes life so much easier - no "oh, I use my knife to fight to my pistol, my pistol to fight to my rifle" nonsense. Just "yeah, my pistol is right here, with me. Like car keys, like a wallet, like a cell phone".

Easy Peasy.

Indeed, sir.

It's now to the point that one feels really quite undressed without one's pistol.

Really quite naked.

There's a whole calming effect to it all, rather like patting the wallet before stepping out for the day.

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch Smile

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

In any event, as a general practice cartridge cases and firearms chambers should be kept dry and free of added lubricants.

Excellent tip! Tomorrow out comes the magazine. I'll polish each case dry with a clean lint-free cloth and reload the mag. And check both the chamber and barrel.

The silicone cloth I use is pretty dry as it is. But what you say makes sense. Someone told me it is good practice to avoid leaving fingerprints on cartridge casings, and there was something else about loaded Makarov magazines decades old, with lube on the cartridges which retarded corrosion. I may have ended up with some of that 50 year old ammo ... fired fine, every round.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

For me, that would be "spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch, pistol, spare mag, and knife"

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

For me, that would be "spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch, pistol, spare mag, and knife"

That probably counts as crossing oneself twice Wink

(BTW, think the name of the movie from which that line comes is called, "Nuns on the Run.")

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

It makes life so much easier - no "oh, I use my knife to fight to my pistol, my pistol to fight to my rifle" nonsense. Just "yeah, my pistol is right here, with me. Like car keys, like a wallet, like a cell phone".

Easy Peasy.

Indeed, sir.

It's now to the point that one feels really quite undressed without one's pistol.

Really quite naked.

There's a whole calming effect to it all, rather like patting the wallet before stepping out for the day.

Just makes sense to always be armed, it's just not that difficult.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally bought my first AR last week. I had thought that I had a gun to cover every need.

I was wrong.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new AR. You're weren't wrong, just delayed. Smile

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
of course you will be practicing with your new weapon and having some fun while you do. it is important to learn what you do not know. Couple that with where you want to be, proficiency wise, and you will be well on your way to integrating the AR into your defense system.
Good luck to you.

BTW, what did you get?/

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
DPMS Oracle 556. (All the stars aligned - I had many gift cards from Gander that I felt I probably should use, and they had this on sale.)

It reminds me a little of the rifle my favorite Uncle loaned to me 49 years ago.

I put some flip-up sights on it and got mags and ammo. The glacier is melting again today, so I may get to the range to break-in and sight-in.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Use it in the best of health. Smile

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I remember a thread from a member on Malta who started to tote his 551 around with him. I hope he is doing well.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Cleaned my two AR's yesterday, and will clean my two shotguns today.

Neither gets fired much anymore, but they do still need to get cleaned and lubricated from time to time.

I believe one needs to keep all firearms in "good to go" condition.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Changed the batteries out of my Aimpoints.

Cycled all of my rechargeable NiMH AA and AAA batteries on the charger. Topped off all of my lithium batteries on their chargers.

Changed all of the batteries out of my go bags, flashlights, GPS.

Replaced all of my first aid kit meds.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Cleaned my two AR's yesterday, and will clean my two shotguns today.

Neither gets fired much anymore, but they do still need to get cleaned and lubricated from time to time.

I believe one needs to keep all firearms in "good to go" condition.

What are you using for practice if you need to go??

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I must admit I hardly ever practice with them anymore.

When I do even shoot them, it's standard 55gr 5.56, and 12GA 00 buckshot reduced recoil. I keep a case of 62gr steel core on hand for the apocalypse, along with a 25 round box of buckshot.

Banned
posted Hide Post
You do not need too many rounds at a session to maintain muscle memory and reaction time. You would be amazed at what 25 rounds could do to keep your skills honed.
Good luck to you.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Then reload the magazine, wiping each cartridge with a silicone cloth. Can't hurt.

Actually, it can.

Okay, it probably won’t matter too much with a common defensive autoloading handgun, but it is definitely something to be avoided with rifle cartridges. At the moment of a cartridge’s firing, the case expands to fill the chamber and adhesion occurs between the case and the chamber wall. That lasts until the pressure drops and the case springs back part way to its original size due to the elasticity of the case metal. That adhesion between the case and chamber helps hold the case in the chamber rather than its being pushed back with full force against the bolt, and that in turn lessens stress on the locking lugs.

The problem with putting lube on the cartridge or lubing the chamber is that that adhesion between case and chamber wall is reduced because of, … well, the lubricant. That then results in greater setback pressure and stress on the locking lugs and recesses of the bolt and receiver.

I don’t know that that brief adhesion between case and chamber has any effect in a handgun like the Walther, but it might.

We used a 20 mm Oerlikon gun on my first ship. It used an oiler to spray the rounds as they were entering the chamber area... It used to jam all the time because it would run outta oil halfway thru a belt...well, I figured how to put a gallon jug of CLP on top of the gun to replace the little oiler while it was firing...back in business....

When it was to be replaced, I got to shoot all the ammo aboard to get rid of it...four tons of ammo ....I was a happy Gunner's Mate that day. The whole crew got to shoot it and take pics of them firing...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the top.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post