SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Is it easier to clean a larger bore rifle? Wink

(considering trying .308, from 9mm)

Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
It’s all the same to me. Usually 308 barrel is rifle length(16-26”), 9mm is pistol length (3-6”). With rifle you need bigger cleaning rod. Same process with both; scrub with cleaner, wipe, add rust protection. If stainless or chrome lined, bore corrosion is less likely to start, you must be vigilant anyway.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Then, let us be vigilant.

posted Hide Post
Seems like a good thing to do today, given that it's 4 degrees outside with a wind-chill value of minus 10, and, I'm rather 'agitated' by the fake news story about the kids' from Kentucky and the hate and threats of violence being directed towards them and their families.

It's out of control.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yep, clean your rifle and hang in there. It's a balmy 12 degrees here. Stay warm! Smile

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
^ Are you guys saying clean our rifles because "Winter is coming"?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It finally occurred to me last month that, although I've been preparing, my sons have gone out and established families and homes of their own. They've outfitted themselves with pistols, but no rifle.

I let them know that I was getting a couple ARs specifically for them to learn to run and practice with (and clean). If that goes well and they set up secure storage in their homes, they can have them.

They both seemed exited by the idea (and I REALLY want them to know how to use them and have access to them).

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
It finally occurred to me last month that, although I've been preparing, my sons have gone out and established families and homes of their own. They've outfitted themselves with pistols, but no rifle.

I let them know that I was getting a couple ARs specifically for them to learn to run and practice with (and clean). If that goes well and they set up secure storage in their homes, they can have them.

They both seemed exited by the idea (and I REALLY want them to know how to use them and have access to them).

Good Job. Better double up on Ammo for them as well. Young families suck up money with all of their priorities.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When each of the Jr DFs graduated high school I gave them their AR-15. As situations changed and sometimes the AR would get sold for the money, I would replace it with one I keep in the safe....just in case. Two of the boys are not in a situation that they have a rifle in their home. One of the boys has 6 antique military rifles, his graduation AR and my AR-10. The youngest keeps his AR and a couple of handguns in our safe since he still lives at home while he's in school.

Anyway, I say all of that to agree with the above.v Sometimes as parents we need to prepare what our younglings cannot. There is one AR for each darthfuster as well as a few loaner guns for those who might need them in our neighborhood if the fit hits the shan.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Will you be my dad?

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
When each of the Jr DFs graduated high school I gave them their AR-15. As situations changed and sometimes the AR would get sold for the money, I would replace it with one I keep in the safe....just in case. Two of the boys are not in a situation that they have a rifle in their home. One of the boys has 6 antique military rifles, his graduation AR and my AR-10. The youngest keeps his AR and a couple of handguns in our safe since he still lives at home while he's in school.

Anyway, I say all of that to agree with the above.v Sometimes as parents we need to prepare what our younglings cannot. There is one AR for each darthfuster as well as a few loaner guns for those who might need them in our neighborhood if the fit hits the shan.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm going to lock this thread. All throughout this thread, I have pointed put to members that this is not about gear, not at all. Rather than keep saying it when this thread pops up at intervals, I'll say that it has run its course.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post