SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AUTiger89:

quality instruction seems to be difficult to come by here in the sticks. Frown

Which sticks do you live in? I'll find some for you.

there are a lot of traveling road shows, Tom Givens from Memphis, Southnarc from his secret lair someplace, John Farnam out of Colorado, Ken Hackthorn, Maasad Ayyoob to name a couple.

And of course the ones who stay put can really be good too, anyway where are you? state will do I'm not gonna stalk you.

I'm in WI, and I definitely appreciate it!!

Maybe brl will finally come out to play. Big Grin

Maasad Ayoob is coming to a theatre near you!

I've done a fair amount of training and would describe Ayoob as very challenging and very detailed and on the expensive side, but I've been back for 120 hrs including his instructor course so I've voted with my check book. http://massadayoobgroup.com/schedule/

John Farnam doesn't have a complete schedule yet but keep a watch on John Farnam, Defense Training International web site.

Both of these guys are very good IMHO.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Well damn. Of course it had to be then.

I'll be in Kentucky for a PRS match. Frown

I really, truly do appreciate your finding that info for me though.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well damn. Of course it had to be then.

I'll be in Kentucky for a PRS match. Frown

I really, truly do appreciate your finding that info for me though.

There will be more. Nobody has their whole schedule up yet except maybe Thunder Ranch. Want to go to Texas?

Bruce Gray's outfit wanders too and you should watch them as well, they post regularly in the competetion and training forum here.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
TX would be much too far. Lol

To be honest, as much as I want training, I have many other priorities, and I don't think I could dedicate the amount of time it would take for a multi-day out of state type of gig. If it's something that I can drive to within 6 hours, then sure - I could head out Friday night, and drive back Sunday night. But all my time off of work is pretty well spoken for at this point with rifle matches and regular vacation with SWMBO.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

To be honest, as much as I want training, I have many other priorities, and I don't think I could dedicate the amount of time it would take for a multi-day out of state type of gig. If it's something that I can drive to within 6 hours, then sure - I could head out Friday night, and drive back Sunday night. But all my time off of work is pretty well spoken for at this point with rifle matches and regular vacation with SWMBO.

There are some excellent training videos out there/
Watch and practice at your own pace. Some would argue that they are not as good. But since you have decided against a multi day course, this may be your best bet.
Good luck to you, me boy. Smile

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:

There are some excellent training videos out there/
Watch and practice at your own pace. Some would argue that they are not as good. But since you have decided against a multi day course, this may be your best bet.
Good luck to you, me boy. Smile

Well, like I said, it could be a Saturday/Sunday course, but needs to be within a 6 hour drive. I can't do multiple days off work, they are all accounted for.

Online videos & practice on my own is currently my regimen. I also shoot 3 gun, but treat it much more like training than competition - instead of only the required two hits on target, I will do a Mozambique drill. Stuff like that. Keeps it interesting.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, like I said, it could be a Saturday/Sunday course, but needs to be within a 6 hour drive. I can't do multiple days off work, they are all accounted for.

Online videos & practice on my own is currently my regimen. I also shoot 3 gun, but treat it much more like training than competition - instead of only the required two hits on target, I will do a Mozambique drill. Stuff like that. Keeps it interesting.

You may want to look mat the link for qsi that I left a few posts back. They do have some one day courses at Ahlman's.

I just practice what we did in LRP exercises. Maybe outdated but functional enough for a 3-6 person team.
We had a drill that we must have practiced a thousand times that was what we were supposed to do if we encountered an enemy patrol or more. The problem is that I cannot find any grenades. So that puts the Kaibash on that.
Mostly, my wife and I are practicing an LPOP with 2-3 fallback positions.
Be well.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Huh. Interesting day today.

Seems like a good evening to sit with a cigar/beverage, and clean some guns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am loading mags....

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Told the misses we ARE going to the range, offered to bring the MIL as well......

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Loganspawn
posted Hide Post
Yes extra gun time needed today. Mad

------------------------------
Knowing is half the battle!

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6696 | Location: FederalWay WA. Ocupied territory | Registered: April 23, 2009Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Huh. Interesting day today.

Seems like a good evening to sit with a cigar/beverage, and clean some guns.

Yeah, pretty much the same. Cigar, 12 yo scotch, and loading some extra mags of 5.56 for my Sig 556xi pistol in my office.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I need to get a pistol kit for my lower receiver. I need to load more mags and mark the 62 vs 55 as the indoor place doesn't allow the steel core, for good reason.

I'm looking at selling some less used guns and getting more Glocks but also some more med gear and supplies.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Well, would rifle plates be overkill at this point?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Hmm. Well, would rifle plates be overkill at this point?

Nope.

They ride in my truck 24/7.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
How are you storing your ammo? How much of it is ready to go....in mags? How do you keep yourself portable and what and how much do you keep for bug out gear?

Because of all that's going on now, I don't think I'm quite prepared enough, but want to be.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
How are you storing your ammo? How much of it is ready to go....in mags? How do you keep yourself portable and what and how much do you keep for bug out gear?

Because of all that's going on now, I don't think I'm quite prepared enough, but want to be.

Over the last couple of years I've been assembling a couple thousand rounds for each AR in my family. I store the bulk of it on stripper clips in metal ammo cans. Each can has a stripper clip spoon and desiccants. Each person in the family has his/her own AR with several mags. Each person also has a load bearing vest with pouches. some of the pouches have mags, but most of the pouches have loaded stripper clips. That is how I keep them. This way we can be mobile within minutes, we can carry the max ammunition per and have ammo in storage. I hope we never need it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts, Kev. Any handguns/ammo ready to go or only rifles? Besides a pretty hefty stock of 223, I also have about as much 9mm to distribute into G17 & G19 mags as well as P226 mags. I also have a 9mm AR making the 9mm more useful, but I wonder overall if my 5.56 AR's are most important.

I need to look into serious carry vests.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for your thoughts, Kev. Any handguns/ammo ready to go or only rifles? Besides a pretty hefty stock of 223, I also have about as much 9mm to distribute into G17 & G19 mags as well as P226 mags. I also have a 9mm AR making the 9mm more useful, but I wonder overall if my 5.56 AR's are most important.

You have a lot of ground to cover if you are just starting. My wife and I have been at it for a little over 10 years and feel very comfortable with where we are.
Our primary goal is bugging in so we are not worried about mobility.
I cannot believe the huge amount of money we have spent/ But, it will be worth it.

My son in law and his best friend say they will pick us up and move everything to their little town on the South Dakota border. ( His friend has a trucking company with about six 18 wheelers)

We are not going anywhere. This is our home.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, Carl I bought 9mm hand guns for each member. Each pistol has at least 3 mags. The cartridges are in ammo cans too. Recently I bought an HK VP9. I like it so much, I think I'll get one for Mrs DF. The Jr DFs seem to prefer their own choices. I think it woulf be best if we all had the same brand and model but the Jr DFs don't have the same vision. It like herding cats really. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post