SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Shit, read Day of Wrath if you want to get nervous about the possibilites.

Definitely. I think its a "must read". Right up there with One Second After. Forstchen is one heck of a writer.

Are we talking the book by Larry Bond?

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Shit, read Day of Wrath if you want to get nervous about the possibilites.

Definitely. I think its a "must read". Right up there with One Second After. Forstchen is one heck of a writer.

Are we talking the book by Larry Bond?

Nope. William Forstchen. Author of One Second After.

He reportedly has a sequel to that one coming out called One Year After.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
OK. Let me see if I can find it soft with an e reader.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I wish I could carry a SBR in my cars everywhere I went.

I suppose I could...if I could afford it.

This weekend we had something like 5 drivebys in my sleepy little city. Two or three people hit. One was an AK or SKS I hear, almost 40 rounds pumped into a house.

It doesn't have to be jihad.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
Ozarks Holster Co.
Picture of dosborn81
posted Hide Post
I feel fairly safe where I live, but I never leave the house unarmed, either.

I want to live a happy and paranoid-free life, but I'll be watching my back while doing it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Posts: 9147 | Location: Nixa, MO | Registered: April 07, 2009Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I carry SD ammo in my carry gun, but despite having a good stock of FMJ for plinking/competition, I am sorry to say I don't have any SD ammo in 5.56. I also need more SD 9mm. Suggestions? Good quality and price?

Barnes TSX is not too expensive but any barrier blind round should do the job. There is a good post over at ARF.com about it.

also 55gr FMJ is not terrible for most social functions

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Carl, I stock:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/...low-point-ammo-9bple

As extra. 9PBLE is old but it is effective and cheap as hell for quality SD ammo. Its my SHTF along with handloaded HSTs.

For 223 I like Fusion. Sold as a hunting round but basically a lighter gold dot.

Very good price and while an older design it set the standard, I keep a couple hundred rounds of this on hand. I also used it in my CM9...works very nice

And seeing this I will get a couple more

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Holy crap ! I keep 40 AK mags fully loaded.

quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
... three extra loaded magazines in the bag.

Been keeping at least 3 fully loaded 30-round mags in the safe with my AR for quite a while now. I used to keep only 1 loaded, but that changed at least six months or so ago.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
A point several posters mentioned is very valid, so YOU carry at all times but what about when your SO is alone at home? My SO does not carry yet but finally started to be interested.

I have firearms in the bedroom and near the front door....need to get her up to speed on the AR and basis "oh shit first aid"

Need to work on her training and in getting her permit.

Also how many of you carry a BOK or similar in your vehicle or laptop bags, can you treat trauma wounds....not ER type treatment but something to get people through the "golden hour".

I do carry a fairly good FAK in the truck as well as in my "shooter" bag....more like a medics squad bag really but I do need to refresh my training.

Also people might look at body armor as being RAMBO-ish or crazy but when "they" come they more than likely won't be carrying sticks.....or hi-points (a hi-point will still create more holes than a normal body needs to have).

All valid questions to ask yourself

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have carried a pistol/pistols since MI became a shall issue state about 14 years ago. I have had a loaded, ready to go AR in my house for 26 years now, and a pump shotgun in the corner for 35 years.

I am glad to hear that others are so like minded, because it is just plain common sense these days.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
Ozarks Holster Co.
Picture of dosborn81
posted Hide Post
This also reminds me to get more 10mm ammo.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Posts: 9147 | Location: Nixa, MO | Registered: April 07, 2009Report This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at a number of possabilities for a truck gun. Though I have a full size AR, I am looking to get a collapsable stock version. Don't know why but the last 6 months I have had this nagging feeling that I need to get one. These days when you go into bigger towns it almost seems like you need to have one just in case you end up in the wrong area at the wrong time.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
So, my regular carry gun is my Kahr PM9 (with a spare mag). Obviously not a lot of firepower. Anyone carry compact guns and are considering upping their capacity? G19 or P226?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My regular carry gun is a Jframe Smith, however I have a Beretta 92 at the ready, and 2 ARs, FNFAL, a couple of M1 Garands, M1 Carbine, about 10 98 Mausers, approximately 11 Mosin Nagants, half a dozen Enfields, , etc. etc. etc.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Great topic Para. After having a CCW for many years, I have recently decided to start carrying. Too many situations globally have popped up and I do not want to get caught in one with my gun at home. Better safe than sorry. I recall conversations with my buddy about carrying an extra magazine and we both thought it was overkill. We would say, What just happened where you need more than 15 rounds? Well, I have changed my mind. Extra magazine is always with me.

I have HK's and Sig's but my carry is a G19 and in some instances a G17.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: saindo,

------------------------------
U.S. Navy
SACLANT 1997-1999
VF-213 1999-2001

Posts: 124 | Location: Delaware | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saindo:
Great topic Para. After having a CCW for many years, I have recently decided to start carrying. Too many situations globally have popped up and I do not want to get caught in one with my gun at home. I understand its a slim chance, but better safe than sorry. I recall conversations with my buddy about carrying an extra magazine and we both thought it was overkill. We would say, What just happened where you need more than 15 rounds? Well, I have changed my mind. Extra magazine is always with me.

I have HK's and Sig's but my carry is a G19 and in some instances a G17.

You never know when the mag in the gun can fail.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been following this thread with interest. Para's comment (as well as others) about having several 30-round magazines full in case of incidents like the recent one in France seems prudent.

Assuming we're talking about standard 5.56 AR magazines, what type of ammo should be in these magazines for an unknown event? The variety seems much wider than with pistol ammo. For example, do you load:

1) Standard Full-Metal Jacket?
2) Hollow Points?
3) Soft Points?
4) Steel-core penetrating rounds?
5) What else?

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I used to not even think about carrying extra magazines...<<snip>>

Another good point; I never did either. Now I carry at least one spare no matter what pistol I'm carrying! I should carry two spares but since I'm flat broke right now I can't afford to upgrade any of my equipment and have to do the best I can with what I have, including dropping a spare magazine in an empty front pocket when necessary. When/if I ever get another job, I'll be rectifying some of these issues ASAP!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've definitely turned my spidey-senses up a notch or two over the last few months. Last week's attacks in Paris only reinforce my increased attention to security.

I'm putting together a 2nd AR as we speak, and I've already had a conversation with my wife about getting her up to speed with it. She is definitely ready, more so after this weekend.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
http://www.theblaze.com/storie...lamic-state-message/