SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Been shooting some more, experienced my first double feed in the AR. Good practice on clearing the gun and reinforced the need to have a spare magazine handy! Had that been the only mag, I would have been in trouble. That mag is now trash.

Picked up some more medical gear and am searching for a civilian level trauma class.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe a few mag repair kits JIC.

This is one of the best threads on The Forum.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picked up some more medical gear and am searching for a civilian level trauma class.

Great classes where you can find them. I attended a 2 day Combat Lifesaver course taught by SF medic and a former Army Doctor who now works for one of the level one trauma centers in the area. Fantastic class. Part of my EDC gear is a small trauma pack that goes in cargo pants pocket.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Been shooting some more, experienced my first double feed in the AR. Good practice on clearing the gun and reinforced the need to have a spare magazine handy! Had that been the only mag, I would have been in trouble. That mag is now trash.

https://www.bleedingcontrol.org
Won't make you a trauma surgeon, but shows ways to stop bleeding (pressure, tournequit etc), seal chest wound to help breathing, search for wounds, etc. I found the course very educational.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Regarding the area of buying stuff-- If during prep for readiness, you find that something is missing that is truly need it, make certain that you practice with it intensely to incorporate it into your program.

I categorize that as coming under "Duh". Wink

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

maybe keep that mag and use it as a range only mag,

as in the malfunctions would be good practice ?

just would need to mark it in a way that it does not get used beyond the range,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Another case of ammo added to the stash. It's getting pretty volatile out there.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Another case of ammo added to the stash. It's getting pretty volatile out there.

My gut feeling is it's only going to get worse... much worse, especially as mid-term elections come up this November!

Which means of course I have to stay on top of cleaning my rifle... and ALL of my firearms, especially EDC stuff! Need to be sure plenty of mags and ammo are on hand well ahead of time also. Thanks for the reminder!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Keeping my FAK's in shape and adding blood stopping powders.
At my age and condition I am just a back up and owwie fixer.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Ordered another 500 rounds of .308 and am getting reloading equipment for it. Got my Remington 700 .308 set up exactly the way I want it. Now just waiting for the end of July, beginning of August for the Tavor 7 release. Currently, my Tavor x95 is my go to rifle. Already have a Steiner 5x red dot and mini red dot for it.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Keeping my FAK's in shape and adding blood stopping powders.
At my age and condition I am just a back up and owwie fixer.

(Yochanan has long payos!)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll say it again, although it seems pointless now- this thread is not about equipment. This thread is about mental preparedness. When you come in here and talk about model numbers of rifles or how much ammunition you bought...

That has nothing to do with it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This isn't about specific firearms or ammunition or anything else like that. That's not what this thread is about. This thread is about being vigilant and being prepared, no matter what tools or methods you employ.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Last night I practiced racking the slide and loading a round. It seems easier to grip the slide with the safety on. Arthritis is increasing. The snap-caps are coming out of basement storage.

There is an Ammoholic thread ... I was able to use it as a reference to see when and where my last ammo was ordered.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was crossing the street toward a woman walking her GSD on the other sidewalk. The dog did not break his stride, he didn't growl or show his teeth, but his eyes on me were lasers. He did not assume I was either a good guy or a bad guy. He wasn't making any assumptions. He was simply ready for any eventuality.

That is the frame of mind I try to maintain. Not paranoid. Not Pollyanna. Quietly alert. Ready.

Cleaning my rifle is like exercising that state of mental readiness, keeping it strong.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
In terms of practice, I haven't had my Garand out to the range in many years, due to cost and availability of ammo.

I seem to recall that it was OK to dry-fire it without snap caps, and that the military made extensive use of it for practice. It may be something my father told me, but he was most definitely not a gun-guy, even though he hunted occasionally.

Any Garand experts here? Would it be safe to dry-fire, or would it eventually damage it?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9147 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
In terms of practice, I haven't had my Garand out to the range in many years, due to cost and availability of ammo.

I seem to recall that it was OK to dry-fire it without snap caps, and that the military made extensive use of it for practice. It may be something my father told me, but he was most definitely not a gun-guy, even though he hunted occasionally.

Any Garand experts here? Would it be safe to dry-fire, or would it eventually damage it?

I haven't damaged mine yet, I shot one for years in NRA Service Rifle and lots of dry fire practice.

Arman

posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll start tonight.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9147 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Designed to be dry-fired without ill result. Go for it.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I can now understand Parabellum's angst over this thread. keeping the thread on track and shifting thread forums that fit the topic and gets more people involved/

In my post on IFAK's, I should have spoken a little about my mindset for awareness.

Hope that I made some level of sense.