SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I am almost 46 years out of the Army. What are you guys using to lube your AR's with these days?

Mobile 1

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are you guys using to lube your AR's with these days?

Mil-Comm MC3000

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Lucas Gun Oil

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Hurley's Gold is now my favorite. I was turned on to this by someone here on the forum. It's slick and almost dry to the touch after a few minutes. Doesn't collect much carbon making cleaning intervals much longer.

http://www.hurleysgold.com/

I also use it on all my handguns. I was previously a big fan of Mobile One and still keep a bottle handy for others to use.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am almost 46 years out of the Army. What are you guys using to lube your AR's with these days?

Whatever is laying around.

I usually soak a brush with Kroil (i like the smell) or Hoppes (cause my big kid gave me a gallon of it a few years ago)

punch the bore a few (ten or so) times then run a clean patch and a oiled patch...

I use whatever oil is laying about..I have about a quart of Mobile 1 I used on the mower last fall...so there is some left in the can...

After almost 50 years of sucking up good air, I realized oil is oil is oil...unless it's vegetable oil and that won't cut the mustard....

(as an aside: Hoppes 9 is just perfumed kerosene, and it has worked for decades)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Guys, this is not a thread about cleaning your rifles. It is not a discussion about what oil or cleaner to use while cleaning your rifle.

it is about preparedness. Try reading the original post. it will really help you out.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Mobil 1 fan.
You know, reading these 34 pages of posts (and I didn't read all of them), I realize how lucky I am. I turned 57 in May, hoping for retirement somewhere around 60-62 Y.O. I piss, moan and complain about property taxes, and the cost of health insurance.

My taxes are $7000 a year, I have a very good insurance plan through work that if I retired, it would cost me $30,000 per year just for taxes and insurance. My plan has been sell the house and head south for warmth and low cost of living.

That said, I leave the keys in my car if I'm around or plan on going somewhere. My wife or I will forget to lock the entryway door once a week or so.

There was a neighbor that we think was stealing gas, but he never made up to my house. Gone now. We have the kids smashing mailboxes. Other than that, speeders and drunk drivers.

I don't feel the need to carry around the house, and if I carry outside, it's more in case another animal attacks my dog.
I had two dogs came up on my deck and attacked my golden. They were dodging 230 grain ACPs as they left. Their only warning. Now I have a 12 gauge close by.

Saying that I notice the two cities within 40 miles of me are getting populated with the NY city dealers. I don't mean to be racist, but it is black guys shacking up with fat white girls on welfare! What the frig!

I'm sure drugs will head my way. Terrorists? Hope not.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Guys, this is not a thread about cleaning your rifles. It is not a discussion about what oil or cleaner to use while cleaning your rifle.

it is about preparedness. Try reading the original post. it will really help you out.

I would think that proper cleaning and lubrication is an important part of being prepared.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have read the entire thread.

Someone asked a question; I answered.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered a few hundred rounds each of 5.56 and 9mm. Been trying to get more range time with my pistols as well. I'm very proficient with my rifles but they aren't what I carry when I leave the house, so I need to train more with what I use most.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Although I have a CZ to clean from last weekend's range trip, wanted to share a good experience Smile

Yesterday, we went to the opening day of the Plymouth Street Fair. Got a good parking spot, got into the fair quickly and easily, although both of us were a bit grumpy from being hungry. We had several vendors we wanted to find and the primary one was not there and neither was the secondary Frown

We did find a couple of pottery pieces my wife liked and before that, she fell in love with this incredible, heavy(!!!) coffee(?) table made from recycled barn wood with an awesome American flag pattern on top. They also had several wall mount items that she pointed out to me(!) were hidden gun storage. Well, the table was $500 and too big and heavy to even try to take home, but I went and chatted with the wife of the artist, "Cowboy," who was relaxing in the shade from the heat and humidity. Turns out the table has a lift-up top with foam padding inside for lots o' gun storage!!! Big Grin

(think: several ARs would fit nicely!)

Mrs. EK didn't take well to me offering to get it for her as a birthday present Wink Wink Wink

Anyway, they are in Willis and so not too far away and the wall mount storage is rather reasonable ! Big Grin

Strange that one would see gun storage furnishings at a street fair, you say ? Well, one would think that, but it seems that this place is a bit different. As we were walking in, there was a fellow in his 50s sporting a "FNN" t-shirt ! Before the departure of barry the wonderturd, there was always a stand or just folks standing taking petitions and such against that pos...

Anyway, by now we were both far too tired and hungry; all the restaurants were packed and kinda pricey, so we decided to beat a retreat to somewhere for some sustenance and take a break.

Got back to the car and couldn't find anything of interest along the way toward home, and kindly, Mrs. EK tossed out many an idea of what we might do. One was the famous Miller's Bar for one of their even more famous ground rounds. I replied that I cannot go. To which, she said, "Oh! Are you armed?" and proceeded to pat me right on the M11-A1.

Dear friends, I am armed 99.9% of the time. The point of this long message is that we spent hours together, from the time I got home and even she did not notice until then.

Aside from the surprise, the better thing is that she is now fully accustomed to me being armed so that it is not even a consideration.

We ended up at a rather nice place near home that we had not yet tried and it turned out to be very nice and although there was a bulge on my right hip from the chair in which I was sitting that might have been noticed, no one did. Then again, I was at a coney island for lunch earlier in the week and one old fart yahoo walked in open-carrying and no one noticed... I am sure I was the only one.

Folks, if you are concerned about people noticing that you are carrying, putting that concern far away will make you even less noticeable.

Always. Be. Armed. Smile

Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnw91498:
Been carrying my CCW more often then not these days. Heck, even church sometimes doesn't seem safe.

Have you seen the numbers on how many attacks there have been on churches over the last 10-15 years? Churches are unequivocally NOT safe. It's mostly DV type stuff, but there are plenty of instances to warrant that the topic of church security has been coming up more frequently and many candid conversations have been had where I have been trying to spread the word and the message of security between consulting and personal attendance, assessment, evaluation, and like usual trying to increase knowledge, education and awareness.

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by AdkMtnGuy:
I've been eyeing the Springfield M1A SOCOM for a while, <snip>

<snip>

By your CUT, it seems that you would be perfect for an LPOP.
You could join Sig Monkey and me. Wink

More details please? PM me? And/or I'll try to track one or both of you down vi email too.

~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

NRA Certified Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
I've been eyeing the Springfield M1A SOCOM for a while, <snip>

<snip>

More details please? PM me? And/or I'll try to track one or both of you down vi email too.

Just fantasizing about the perfect Listening Post/ Observation Post. Monkey and I are two old farts who both served our time ducking enemy fire.
Neither of us would be much good for LRPs or LRRPs but we could stand our ground about 2 clicks from a perimeter. My wife is an excellent marksman and, I assure you, nothing would move that was not supposed to in a 300 meter arc.
I will send you an email. Smile

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

- SNIP -

Just fantasizing about the perfect Listening Post/ Observation Post. Monkey and I are two old farts who both served our time ducking enemy fire.
Neither of us would be much good for LRPs or LRRPs but we could stand our ground about 2 clicks from a perimeter. My wife is an excellent marksman and, I assure you, nothing would move that was not supposed to in a 300 meter arc.
I will send you an email. Smile

Ohhhh, THAT LPOP....I was in gun mode, instead of acronym mode, especially the .mil acronyms, too many to count....

~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

NRA Certified Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
I am blessed because I finely HAD to clean my firearms. Been way to long since I made a extended range trip.

Fired several mags through every one of my guns .

Done ok, but realized how vital trigger time is to keep you sharp.

And yes, Church security is foremost on my mind,We have a team of 15 in and around church grounds at every service.

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Report This Post
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEC505:
I am blessed because I finely HAD to clean my firearms. Been way to long since I made a extended range trip.

Fired several mags through every one of my guns .

Done ok, but realized how vital trigger time is to keep you sharp.

And yes, Church security is foremost on my mind,We have a team of 15 in and around church grounds at every service.

We should connect on this topic of church security.

~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

NRA Certified Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
We should connect on this topic of church security.[/QUOTE]

Jason, e-mail sent

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Report This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
More relevant than ever..............be ready when they come for the flag or sign on "YOUR" front porch. Or the symbols of your faith for holidays and all year long. How soon before your car is smashed or torched for a bumper sticker that "offends"?

Cleaned and lube all my firearms regularly - and just ordered more "defensive" ammo..........just because.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Report This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:......
I had two dogs came up on my deck and attacked my golden. They were dodging 230 grain ACPs as they left. Their only warning. Now I have a 12 gauge close by...

Sounds like you need a little more range time...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Report This Post