SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today I cleaned my rifle
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Today I cleaned my rifle Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Not so sure. I do not wait for events like these to get ready or to "clean my rifle". I am just as pissed off as the rest of you. And I try to be always vigilant.
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
My rifles are always clean.
You couldn't have missed the point any more if you had tried. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not so sure. I do not wait for events like these to get ready or to "clean my rifle". I am just as pissed off as the rest of you. And I try to be always vigilant.
quote:
quote:

Mike, it could be that cleaning the rifle is not always about maintenance of the rifle, but readiness of the heart, mind and spirit. At the risk of over-thinking this, sometimes a task or threat is so ominous that one must prepare him/herself to engage it beyond the equipment taken into conflict. I'm reminded of scenes in dramatic battle depictions where the warrior sits with the thousand yard stare and hones the edge of his weapon. The real preparation is that which cannot be seen. The individual focuses emotionally, mentally and even spiritually in the interest of success and survival. So today we clean our rifles to purify our souls.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike, it could be that cleaning the rifle is not always about maintenance of the rifle, but readiness of the heart, mind and spirit. At the risk of over-thinking this, sometimes a task or threat is so ominous that one must prepare him/herself to engage it beyond the equipment taken into conflict. I'm reminded of scenes in dramatic battle depictions where the warrior sits with the thousand yard stare and hones the edge of his weapon. The real preparation is that which cannot be seen. The individual focuses emotionally, mentally and even spiritually in the interest of success and survival. So today we clean our rifles to purify our souls.

Well put!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The real preparation is that which cannot be seen. The individual focuses emotionally, mentally and even spiritually in the interest of success and survival. So today we clean our rifles to purify our souls.[/QUOTE]

Well put![/QUOTE]

Sometimes the prep of the spirit happens during a poker game where millions are at stake Wink or in lighting smoke after smoke without taking a drag. But, you are so right that this has to happen.
Be well

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I do find I spend more time handling the rifle, even if I am not able to shoot it as frequently as I would like.

Familiarity, muscle memory, etc. Last count I am sitting on about 30 magazines, they will soon all be loaded instead of just 3-4.

France by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not so sure. I do not wait for events like these to get ready or to "clean my rifle".
Yet again, you are missing the point.

It's a metaphor intended to convey a message of vigilance, and you're taking it literally.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Cleaned mine after using a 25m, 15m, 10m, 5m to confirm my POA/POI at those ranges. This was with my SBR i use gor HD.
Everyone knows their 25m, 50m or whatever meter zero but do you know what it is at true social distance.

Nice to finally find a range i can practice at these distances.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Not so sure. I do not wait for events like these to get ready or to "clean my rifle".
Yet again, you are missing the point.

It's a metaphor intended to convey a message of vigilance, and you're taking it literally.

Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too quick, I would catch it!

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Took both my AR's and my 10/22 TD to the range today to zero/re-zero the optics. All is good. I feel better.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
How are you storing your ammo? How much of it is ready to go....in mags? How do you keep yourself portable and what and how much do you keep for bug out gear?

Because of all that's going on now, I don't think I'm quite prepared enough, but want to be.

Over the last couple of years I've been assembling a couple thousand rounds for each AR in my family. I store the bulk of it on stripper clips in metal ammo cans. Each can has a stripper clip spoon and desiccants. Each person in the family has his/her own AR with several mags. Each person also has a load bearing vest with pouches. some of the pouches have mags, but most of the pouches have loaded stripper clips. That is how I keep them. This way we can be mobile within minutes, we can carry the max ammunition per and have ammo in storage. I hope we never need it.

OK, I'm not the biggest gun expert, I just like to shoot them and have for protection, so this may be a dumb question. I've always been concerned about keeping mags loaded and it wearing out the springs, so I keep a couple 5.56 loaded and a couple 9mm. Does it weaken the springs to keep mags stored long term loaded?

Springs weaken from being coiled and uncoiled repeatedly. You can leave them loaded, just slightly underload the mags.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Took a class yesterday and am signing up for more to knock the rust off. Practice practice practice makes progress.

And I can't stay in Md anymore. I feel defenseless unless I am at home with my guns. I do not like that feeling.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Report This Post
Picture of colomtn
posted Hide Post
More good advice from John Farnam

Stay alert and aware Have a plan Buy guns, ammunition, blades. Get trained in their effective use Go armed

Posted by John S. Farnam on 16 Nov 2015

16 Nov 15

“I always believe in being prepared, even when dressed in white tie and tails.”

Patton

Post-Paris, 2015

Do you think the French have finally learned their lesson about “no-policing zones” in Muslim neighborhoods?

Over here, the BHO Administration, even now yet locked in its leftist fantasy world, has apparently learned nothing! From the White House, we’ve heard little more than hand-wringing drivel of bleating sheep. Pompous weasel-words, the language of liberals, designed to mean nothing, offend no one, and commit themselves to no course of action.

While assuring us that ISIS has been “contained,” a laughable absurdity, BHO still can’t get the phrase, “radical Islam” to come out of his mouth! And, even after last week’s events in France, he insists on importing thousands of military-age Islamic “refugees,” with no conditions, while simultaneously releasing Gitmo detainees. More than a few of us are openly speculating about whose side he is really on!

In Paris, pitiable hostages used social media to send desperate pleas for help, appealing to police to respond immediately, in order to save them from certain death. They indicated that their captors were casually shooting them to death, one by one. French citizens paid a terrible price Friday for being unable to defend themselves in any effective way, as dictated by current French law.

“Tweets” were the only weapons they had!

When that awful moment comes my way, for one, I will not be responding to such bestial violence with “tweets,” but rather with fast-moving .355-caliber projectiles (at least until I can get to my rifle)! Of course, there are no guarantees, but for one, I will go down fighting, rather than surrender to these modern-day savages for whom wanton murder is part of their “religion.”

It is obvious that the BHO Administration’s agenda does not include protecting American citizens from terrorist attacks, attacks that ISIS has already promised are coming our way soon.

Down here at the peon-level, every American better understand that we are on our own. Whatever protection we enjoy, we’ll have to provide ourselves.

My advice:

Stay alert and aware
Have a plan
Buy guns, ammunition, blades.
Get trained in their effective use
Go armed

“A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country.”

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”

James Madison

/John

My grandfather voted republican until the day he died, now he votes democrat.

Posts: 4346 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: August 09, 2008Report This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Cleaned mine after using a 25m, 15m, 10m, 5m to confirm my POA/POI at those ranges. This was with my SBR i use gor HD.
Everyone knows their 25m, 50m or whatever meter zero but do you know what it is at true social distance.

There is a range in Terrell you can use for free.

And I will help clean your rifle.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

There is a range in Terrell you can use for free.

And I will help clean your rifle.

Thank you Sir, once the misses get back from UA i will drop you a note.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colomtn:
More good advice from John Farnam

Down here at the peon-level, every American better understand that we are on our own. Whatever protection we enjoy, we’ll have to provide ourselves.
Yes indeed.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody know a good grease for an M-1 Garand? I never used it before (only sparingly used the M-1, in fact!) and, until it was mentioned in a thread here, didn't know it should be.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Im pretty sure the Garand calls for Lubriplate 130A as the standard grease.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

yes indeed, not only are we alone but we have been betrayed....

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That speech in Turkey was mind numbingly bazaar. Even the faithful Democrats called him tone-deaf.

I get the "cleaning my rifle" thought. I carry a gun every moment of the day even when I'm home.

I live in PA and until now, I've felt fortunate. But now I look at my liberal governor's position on the Syrian immigrants and now feel not so fortunate. All my guns will be very clean.

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Im pretty sure the Garand calls for Lubriplate 130A as the standard grease.

Correct, according to MidwayUSA and Brownell's websites. I'll have to look for it, since it's out of stock at Midway and almost twice the money at Brownell's when you compare shipping.

Must be a lot of people cleaning rifles, if it's out of stock!

Thanks, Nismo.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post