New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giant Hornets Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The other odd thing about European Hornets is that they can fly at night, and are attracted to light. Caught one in a window screen one night - window was open and the office was lit. Something hit the screen hard and kept thumping at it. At first I thought it was a very confused hummingbird. Shut the window to trap the thing, then got some better light on it. Turned out to be a very pissed-off, thumb-sized hornet.

I figured I'd deal with it in the morning, and left it there. In the morning, it was dead...not sure why. Anyway, on closer inspection and with some Google-fu, the size, the reddish-brown back and its nocturnal flying identified it as a European Hornet. They seem to like lights at night as they eat moths, etc. that are also attracted to the lights.

Hasn't been a problem - they seem to keep to themselves.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had huge ground borrowing hornets in NY. Easy 3-4” long. Nothing would kill them. I poured gasoline in the ground and torched them. Scary creatures.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karpteach:
We had huge ground borrowing hornets in NY. Easy 3-4” long. Nothing would kill them. I poured gasoline in the ground and torched them. Scary creatures.

Those are cicada killers.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
'At's not a knoife - this is a knoife....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'm looking into an Stihl SR200 fogger. We have mosquitoes, ticks, wasps and hornets. I understand this, with the proper chemical, repel these unwanted insects for about 3 weeks per application. It also rids my trees of tent caterpillars.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I really am not prepared to acknowledge the possibility that giant hornets could fly at me at night. I encountered Japanese giant hornets while out in the Japanese countryside -- I think that's what's in the photo of the crazy man holding some kind of demon on his fingers -- but that was on a trip to Japan. That's Japan. A lot of crazy shit goes on in Japan.

But giant hornets dive bombing me at night here in Massachusetts...

I'm just not prepared to acknowledge that...

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
So, tonight, my wife comes in from the garage and says, there are a lot of bees in the garage. I go to check it out. When I opened the door, I could hear the buzzing. There were probably 15 of these European hornets buzzing around the lights. I made one of those meat traps on a board with water. Hopefully, I will get the strays. I am betting that we have a nest in our garage attic.

Calling the pros tomorrow. No way will you catch my ass up there looking for them.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I think I have seen and encountered less stinging monsters this summer than ever before.

However , early fall seems to amp their activity up. I think all the wet weather we had this summer slowed their activity.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I found this image online. I'm just going to go ahead and thank God I haven't seen either of these.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I found this image online. I'm just going to go ahead and thank God I haven't seen either of these.

we have all of them here in VA,

only been lit up by bald face hornets (out of what is on the pic)

hurt very much,

worse than yellow jackets

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Here is one that was dispatched with a board. It was a smaller one, about the size of a quarter. I saw others that were 50% larger.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That thing looks surprisingly tame. Either it's dead, or that guy has a huge set of brass balls to be letting it land on his hand.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
'At's not a knoife - this is a knoife....

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I saw two hornets here in NW Houston for the first time within the last two weeks.

Hornets not yellow jackets or red wasps or bees but larger mofos that had a hornet head.

I have been trying to kill wasps of late once I learned that they kill my monarch caterpillars so it has been on wasp bitches.
But when I saw the two hornets I had to reassess my strategy. Someone above mentioned a badminton racket, I think that is exactly what I have been looking for, something I can swing fast that is rigid with some surface area.

We live in insect capital of the world (Houston) so why not, lets add hornets to the mix now too!

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Someone above mentioned a badminton racket, I think that is exactly what I have been looking for, something I can swing fast that is rigid with some surface area.

HK Ag

The rackets work, BUT...Bees and hornets release pheromones that will identify threat to others in the hive. If you step on them, pick squished ones up, or carry the racket too close to the hive, you could initiate a painful invasion upon yourself (que Apocalypse Now music).

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I saw two hornets here in NW Houston for the first time within the last two weeks.

Hornets not yellow jackets or red wasps or bees but larger mofos that had a hornet head.

I have been trying to kill wasps of late once I learned that they kill my monarch caterpillars so it has been on wasp bitches.
But when I saw the two hornets I had to reassess my strategy. Someone above mentioned a badminton racket, I think that is exactly what I have been looking for, something I can swing fast that is rigid with some surface area.

We live in insect capital of the world (Houston) so why not, lets add hornets to the mix now too!

HK Ag

Badminton rackets have several good attributes. You swing hard enough and you might get dismemberment. The strings provide almost no resistance, so you can get a bitchin fast swing in. And as I said, Euros are slow, almost slow motion.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post