SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions re Replacement Headlight Bulbs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions re Replacement Headlight Bulbs Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
The headlight on the wife's Toyota Highlander just went out. It looks like replacing the bulb is pretty straightforward, but I was wondering:

- Should I replace both? I've seen some vehicles where it looks like one headlight is brighter than the other, and I don't know if "unmatched" bulbs are the same brightness.

- Are headlight bulbs all the same?, or should I get an OEM bulb from the local Toyota dealer?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
With our vehicles I have a habit of replacing both headlights (or turn signals) at the same time even if one goes out. I save the extra good bulb I replaced as a backup if needed in the glove box.

Usually, I order the bulbs I need online if have the time to wait to get them. Otherwise I go to a local automotive store to get the bulb. I have not gone to a dealership for bulbs or parts.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have HIDs. For whatever reason, even though I buy supposedly the exact same OEM bulb from a reputable vendor, I don't get the original headlight experience - dimmer and not the same illumination breadth / depth. But buying bulbs from Toyota are expensive - 3x more. Not sure why. YMMV. And newer LEDs may be different.

If one failed prematurely, I'd replace one. If one failed for age, I'd replace both.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You could change the one bulb out without a problem and I wouldn't go to Toyota for a bulb unless it's an LED headlight that is only factory replaceable.

Most Auto part stores sell the bulbs, Sylvania Silverstars are good bulbs, some come in pairs, and if that's what you buy, replace them both.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

The Highlander is a 2012, so it looks like it failed due to age. I am going to run over to the local auto parts store and replace both of them.

I appreciate the help!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to O'Reilly. They have a great selection and will install them for you. I recently picked up a pair of Sylvania bulbs. I think they are HID. Come in a Gold package and cost around 75 dollars each. Well worth it IMO.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I just change them as needed.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
With our vehicles I have a habit of replacing both headlights (or turn signals) at the same time even if one goes out. I save the extra good bulb I replaced as a backup if needed in the glove box.

Usually, I order the bulbs I need online if have the time to wait to get them. Otherwise I go to a local automotive store to get the bulb. I have not gone to a dealership for bulbs or parts.

I do the same, when I have the hood open and hands dirty I want to get it all done at once. In my experience when one fails, the other will in couple of months.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I replace them both and save the good as a spare.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I do both thinking if one went the other probably isn't far behind. Before you buy high dollar super bright bulbs check out the expected life of the bulb, you might think twice about it.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Most bulbs will fade over their lifespan.

Changing the bulbs is fairly straightforward (unless you have a Cadillac CTS. Boooo!)

Mine weren't what I had hoped for, so I converted them to HID. Wasn't any fun, but they have been great for at least 7+ years.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Most bulbs will fade over their lifespan.

Changing the bulbs is fairly straightforward (unless you have a Cadillac CTS. Boooo!)

Mine weren't what I had hoped for, so I converted them to HID. Wasn't any fun, but they have been great for at least 7+ years.

What? You don’t like pulling the bumper fascia off.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced the bulbs in my wife's 2009 CRV with fan-less LEDs.

One side was a pain because it barely had clearance for the heat sink.

I have not changed a bulb since and it has been many years.

They are brighter than the original oem bulbs too.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Replace both with LEDs.
Much brighter.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've got Beamtech LEDs in my daughter's car now and they're decent but during the last snow storm it wasn't hot enough to melt anything. I ordered her some Morimoto 2stroke 3.0 LEDs. It should fix the icing problem.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I used to always do both and keep the extra used one as a spare.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Whichever way you go do both at the same time and if your not sure how check out Youtube videos which can be helpful.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend Sylvania Silverstar bulbs anymore as they’ve consistently lasted only a year or so for me and they’re pricey.

Philips X-treme Power seem to be doing better for me.

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

You clearly never owned a 2006-2015 generation Honda Civic Eek

Changing lightbulbs either involved pulling inner fender well liners out and contorting yourself into unnatural positions while laying on your back and reaching up into the car and blindly trying to fit the bulb in, or just saying “screw it“ and taking it somewhere and having them put it on a lift to be able to access the headlights. The engineers who designed that should be lined up against the wall and shot.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I went to the local O'Reilly yesterday and got a set of bulbs to replace both headlights.

Today, the wife mentions in passing "the wipers need to be replaced too".

Apparently, there was no need to mention that yesterday. Roll Eyes

EDIT: What a freaking ordeal. I am not very mechanically competent, but I thought I was capable of doing simple things like changing headlights, air filters, pumping gas, putting air in the tires, etc. I am going to have to rethink my "skill set".

In addition to the wipers, the wife says she's due for an oil change. So, I make an appointment and run over to the local Toyota dealer. While there, I get the usual upsell on everything from new brakes to a transmission flush. I decline everything except the engine air filter. We are heading out of town tomorrow and, based on past experience, getting at the rear bolt on the filter housing is a pain in the ass. So, I tell them to go ahead and gouge me for the filter replacement.

I get home and pop the hood to swap out the headlight bulbs. I take a quick glance at the air filter housing and there is no rear bolt. I decide I better check to see if the filter was even replaced and remove the front bolt. It was. But, when I replaced the bolt, I overtightened it and it snapped it half. Mad

I decide to finish swapping out the headlight bulbs before confronting the Toyota dealership. I get the old bulb off no problem, but the new one will not go in no matter how many times I try. Finally, I compare it to the one I pulled off and they are not the same. A little internet sleuthing reveals that I bought high beam bulbs when I needed the low beams. Mad

Back to the auto parts store, where the guy says "We're not supposed to exchange them, because you already opened the package". But, before I could slam my head into the wall, he quickly says "But, I'll make an exception. Here you go." (Maybe he saw the look on my face and was worried. Wink ).

Back home, I call the dealership. I decide I'm not going to scream or shout. I'm just going to lay things out and see how they respond. Luckily, the service manager just says "Bring it back as soon as you can. We'll take care of it." I did just that and they had two guys stop what they were doing and replaced both bolts. Ten minutes later I was on my way.

I got back home and tried the new headlight bulbs. They popped right in and I (thought) I was finally done for the day. Then the wife says "When are you planning on replacing the wiper blades?"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolRich59,