SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flashlight in front pocket creating holes in pants
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flashlight in front pocket creating holes in pants Login/Join 
Picture of Suppressed
posted
I bought a Fenix PD35 a few months ago and began carrying it in my front pocket. Recently, I noticed an area in my jeans that were nearly worn through. I determined that it was caused by the crenulated bezel.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you guys carry your flashlights?

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have this problem carrying the exact flashlight in my work pants.

I learned to proactively add in an iron-on jean repair patch to the inside of the pocket where the flashlight rubs. Never had one wear through since.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It's so the light can get out, silly. Smile

On the same note, the finger grip on the extended 938 mags works a hole in the pocket of my jeans. Since I usually have a Maxpedition Versipack nearby, I keep my flashlight in that.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I carry a Felix E25 on which I have fenagled a pocket clip in my left front pocket. No problems with wear.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That PD35 is a big flashlight to EDC, IMHO. I only carry mine at work. I carry a 1 AAA Streamlight as my EDC, and some days I don't carry that, having a small light on my key chain and a light on my phone.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
You could get a leather pouch..similar to the pocket carry mag holders.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

the finger grip on the extended 938 mags works a hole in the pocket of my jeans.
Try these: Sig Sauer 938 Mag Carrier

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeans pockets have been their weak spot for years. I used to wear out the seats or knees first, but the last 20 or so years it's been pockets, then the pant leg where the pocket hole is.

My problem is that I've been carrying a pocket knife since I was a Cub Scout. I carried that knife, then a Boy Scout knife for most of my life, graduating to a Kershaw Cryo II, then a ZT0301. Ironically, the ZT, at the biggest and heaviest of all, is causing the least damage.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
I carry the PD 35 tac everyday.
I use a belt holster. I'm currently on my third holster as the ones that come with the light won't last even a year. Frown

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dig through your giant medicine cabinet, and find one of these bottles.
https://www.amazon.com/Pharbes...ablets/dp/B0714BGBHT

you are bound to have one , just the right diameter .

cut it in half and let your light rest in it , instead of in the pocket fabric.

note the nice evenly rounded radiused corners

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
dig through your giant medicine cabinet, and find one of these bottles.

Thanks. Never would have thought of that.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
It's so the light can get out, silly. Smile

Is that your flashlight or are you happy to see me?

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I carry my PD35 inside the left front pocket of my jeans utilizing the clip on the rear of the pocket as far back as possible, with my leather wallet in the same pocket in the front. No wear problems at all. I have however had the light inadvertently turn on, it gets hot enough to burn the skin if you don’t notice it soon enough. YOWSER!!!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I found that my PD32 and PD35 were just too bulky for EDC so I got an RC09 rechargeable. It fits perfectly in the watch pocket of jeans. You just need to reverse the clip.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fe...rc09-led-flashlight/

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a flashlight holster... black is for a 1" Nitecore P10GT/P12GT and the tan is for a .9" Olight S2R/H2R

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
EDC for work is PD32, no problem, is slightly smaller though. I also replace work pants every 12-18 months.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RC09 is my ECD, been carry it on my front pocket for years no problem.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My BFF gave me a little L-shaped Guide Gear light that I carry in my Jeans watch pocket. It rides well with no wear.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My Duluth fire hose pants have the hammer loop on the outside of each leg. I clip my light to it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry my single-cell flashlight in a DeSantis mag holder in my left front pocket.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post