SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arline tickets ** UPDATE **
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arline tickets ** UPDATE ** Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I no longer fly, but am frequently astonished that people book on other airlines where their route has a Southwest flight available. Souhwest doesn’t fly to every city, or from every city, but if it is available, why endure or risk these adverse conditions, baggage charge, ticket change, etc?

We had a visitor from the midwest who came and returned on United. There were Southwest flight, with similar stops, etc.

Why risk these situations?

Southwest has the most convenient rebooking policy and cashing in their miles is the best in the business, but having status with other airlines like Delta/AA can be enticing.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

Southwest has the most convenient rebooking policy and cashing in their miles is the best in the business, but having status with other airlines like Delta/AA can be enticing.

You mean like Admirals Club, etc?

A cousin who travels all over constantly on business told me a few years ago that he might never have to pay for a first class ticket on Continental for the rest of his life. He had enough miles to go to the moon and back, free!

That would be handy, and enticing, if you didn’t have to endure all those flights to earn it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

You mean like Admirals Club, etc?

A cousin who travels all over constantly on business told me a few years ago that he might never have to pay for a first class ticket on Continental for the rest of his life. He had enough miles to go to the moon and back, free!

That would be handy, and enticing, if you didn’t have to endure all those flights to earn it.

Admirals club, first class upgrades, preferred seating, priority standby, free baggage (a wash versus Southwest) but you're correct, it's a lot of flying.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aguilar64:
I bought 5 tickets on 11/19 to go to my brother wedding in January, today I realized the tickets had the wrong dates, a week later than the actual wedding, I called United and they are asking $200.00 fine per ticket, does anyone here knows how to get around that?

Thanks

Can't your brother push the wedding back a week?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Is the change fee per ticket or per reservation?
Per ticket usually.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I no longer fly, but am frequently astonished that people book on other airlines where their route has a Southwest flight available. Souhwest doesn’t fly to every city, or from every city, but if it is available, why endure or risk these adverse conditions, baggage charge, ticket change, etc?

We had a visitor from the midwest who came and returned on United. There were Southwest flight, with similar stops, etc.

Why risk these situations?

Personally, I don't like the cattle car mentality of SWA - I have a pretty good status on Delta, so I get to pick my seat and know it's mine, instead of herding behind some mouth breathers and trying to play the check in early game.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Agree on having status - I have it on United and American and it makes all the difference. If the company books me on Delta I change that shit to an airline I have status on. SWA is a whole different animal. Group C = center seat for you!

As for the OP, if you are still reading. You are probably screwed but never say never. Use some techniques from the former lead international hostage negotiator for the FBI.

1. When you get on the phone with an agent, establish empathy. This is easy. Say something like "I know this is the busiest travel time of the year, and I know I am taking up your time. My name is xxxx, how is your day going?" Let the agent vent if he/she has to. If they say something like "weather" or "overbookings" just repeat that back. Weather? Pause. Overbookings? PAUSE. Let them talk.

2. When it comes time, get all the ugly stuff out in front. Admit you screwed up. Say something like "I know you think someone who screws up the date of his brother's wedding has to be an idiot, but that is who I am. My wife and my brother can't believe I screwed up something so simple."
Etc. The agent should by now be saying "No sir, we see it all the time..." etc.

3. Ask the key opened-ended question. "How do we fix this so that my brother and my wife do not forever remember this day as how bad I screwed up?" PAUSE. You now have the agent, who you have established empathy with, working WITH you to solve your problem. Comtinue to ask HOW do WE fix this problem. It forces the agent to come up with a solution, and avoids the easy "No"
answer.

4. If they say "It's $200 per ticket." Say "I'm sorry, but I just don't have that in my budget. How do we make this work so I do not miss my brother's wedding?" Have as your goal getting the change fee down to zero. If you repeat the same open-ended question enough times (without giving them the chance to say the easy No, but having to think and explain), most people will cave and give you everything you want.

Straight from the book, this stuff works. Worth a try, right? What do you have to lose?

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Aaaand, I'm an idiot. Just read the update from agular64.

Good for you! The things I posted still work - I bet you established empathy with the second agent since you remeber his name was Frank!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Excellent update! A $26 per ticket change fee is certainly more palatable than $200 per ticket

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Many times that is what it takes...being nice and getting on the phone with a kind and agreeable agent.

I more times than not have favorable outcomes with the delta people, but having Platinum status certainly factors in.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Aaaand, I'm an idiot. Just read the update from agular64.

Not at all. I thought your suggestion was gold. I plan on printing it out and keeping it on hand if I run into a similar problem.

Like you said - got nothing to lose. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$130 is very very fair.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Did you really want to go? Maybe this is your subconscious saying it's worth the thousand dollars not to have to endure a wedding Wink

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Glad you worked it out.

I've been flying Southwest for 15 years now, after jumping from a Philly-based carrier who merged then folded ...

I can cancel TEN minutes before a flight and get a full credit. Changing dates is never an issue, but their rates change all the time. One day $320 PHL/PHX round trip non-stop, the usual maybe $400, sometimes $550 ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just think of it as an incentive to "GO Greyhound".

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post