SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arline tickets ** UPDATE **
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arline tickets ** UPDATE ** Login/Join 
Picture of aguilar64
posted
I bought 5 tickets on 11/19 to go to my brother wedding in January, today I realized the tickets had the wrong dates, a week later than the actual wedding, I called United and they are asking $200.00 fine per ticket, does anyone here knows how to get around that?

Thanks

UPDATE:

I guess since I'm a MileagePlus Explorer member they made an exception for the 5 tickets and I end up paying an extra $130.00 (Total)

The first customer service person I spoke to was rude and didn't want to hear that I had made a mistake, she said there wasn't anything she could do, I was polite and told her I would call back. The second time I called, the customer service rep I spoke to whose name is Frank, put me on hold for about 30 minutes after I told him I had made a mistake, when he came back on the line he said "since I was a MileagePlus Explorer" member he would make a one time exception, needless to say I was grateful to him, nice early Christmas present.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aguilar64,

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2209 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it but you're pretty well buggered. Any chance you bought refundable tix that you can cancel and buy new ones? If not you can call res again and maybe see if you can get a sympathetic supervisor, don't expect an agent to do anything for you. Maybe plead your case on United social media and hope some pressure from the masses helps. Good luck!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
There is no way. You purchased a non refundable ticket with change fees. Sucks but it is what it is.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
if you fly frequently, it might be better to just cancel and buy new tickets. they will credit your account a larger percentage of the value in miles, usually.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Why does it cost so much to change the ticket? Is there $200 worth of effort involved? Is it more to discourage people from making changes to the travel plans? If so, why -- it's not like they really lose money, especially if a couple months in advance (I can understand better if it's within a week or something).

Is this just a racket? Or is there some reasonable justification?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this just a racket?

Yes it's been a racket for a long time

Airlines have used it as a way to increase revenue from low cost fares when people change or make mistakes.

I think Southwest has a better deal on the changes but the OP is basically screwed, he can put it out on social media however it's not the airlines fault he booked the wrong dates.

Since they all do it as it's major revenue there is not an incentive from competition to change the process.

Like Bank Fees, Overdraft fees, change fees on airlines are commonplace.

The only way out is if you can get them to move the wedding date...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Is the change fee per ticket or per reservation?

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
you could just try and be the squeaky wheel just keep asking for managers up the chain sooner or later you will hit somebody that doesn't want whant to deal with it and give you what you want

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Are all of the tickets on one reservation number? If yes, you might call again and see if you can get lucky. Be really nice and ask if they will help you out. Might ask for a manager - maybe they will have the authority to help you out.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Keep appealing to higher authorities within the airline and hope someone feels like wearing a white hat that day.

The last time we had to make a change, the airline would not budge.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Is the change fee per ticket or per reservation?

Usually per ticket plus any fare change. I have to change a lot of tickets for work, often times it's just easier to buy a new one or a new portion if it's the return part of the trip.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9688 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
if you fly frequently, it might be better to just cancel and buy new tickets. they will credit your account a larger percentage of the value in miles, usually.

They will credit your account minus the $200 change fee per ticket. You normally then have one year to use those credits towards new flights.

It's ridiculous the amount charged for changing a ticket, but that's the shakes. If you explain the circumstances though, and even have proof that the wedding is a different date (which of course you do) that shows it was an honest mistake, you may--*may*--get a kind agent who is willing to help you out. It's United though, so don't hold your breath. Otherwise there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I also have to change my tickets quite frequently for work. It's just something that I budget in. It's always a gamble.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Why does it cost so much to change the ticket? Is there $200 worth of effort involved? Is it more to discourage people from making changes to the travel plans? If so, why -- it's not like they really lose money, especially if a couple months in advance (I can understand better if it's within a week or something).

The simple answer is that it was a condition of your purchase. You agreed to it when you bought the ticket (read the details).

Large penalty fees for ticket changes exist for several reasons, one being to discourage frivolously buying a ticket then changing the ticket.

The airline passenger scheduling system is complex, and it's not just your flight that's involved; it's every connecting flight of every passenger on that flight, and every connection of every one of those flights, and so on. It impacts thousands and thousands of people, and hundreds of flights, possibly thousands. Every time a change is made, it has ripples across not just the sales for that flight, but every system tied into that seat. If you say you'll take a seat and pay for it, that seat goes off the market across the board and it's assumed sold. The price continues to fluctuate for the remaining seats with numerous variables; the cost of the seat may be considerably more as time gets closer to departure due to availability.

The earlier you book a flight, the lower the cost, generally; as demand increases and availability shrinks as the flight grows closer or conditions and demand change, the cost may increase (often does). What you bought at 500.00 may now be worth 1200, and so on.

If the flight is left too late, the airline may be unable to sell the seat, which alters the cost of the overall flight, but has also impacted available seats on other connecting flights; the airline may have been unable to sell a connecting flight because your seats were taken, making it impossible to book the passenger through to the destination; your accepting the purchase of those five seats also altered the ability to put connections on at least five other flights, possibly many more, and it snowballs, exponentially. When you consider how many are tied together, the picture of what your seat cost the airline, and cost the system is far more complex than you might imagine.

Add to that the increased complexity of code sharing between airlines, and the potential impact of taking back your seat has increased the problem exponentially.

Not a racket, but definitely a discouragement to taking flights and returning them on a whim. For those who may need to cancel, trip protections are available for additional cost, which are accounted for and incorporated into the system as variables. Yours apparently was not such a fare.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aguilar64:... does anyone here knows how to get around that?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A $50 fee would still be excessive yet wouldn't be a racket.

A $200 fee is just a racket pretending to be otherwise.

Technically, you're probably screwed. Escalate and ask, repeat as necessary.

But yes, it's a (legal) racket, fine print and all.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
You can cancel within 24 hours otherwise there is a change fee per ticket. Been that way for years. The way around it is southwest. They don’t ever charge change fees, only a difference in fare if there is any.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I think you're screwed.

quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
You can cancel within 24 hours otherwise there is a change fee per ticket. Been that way for years. The way around it is southwest. They don’t ever charge change fees, only a difference in fare if there is any.

Yep, I like Southwest for their baggage policy when I go on dive trips. Those added fees for bags add up.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is a racket! He is lucky it only cost him $200. United screwed me for $400.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be a racket if the pricing structure was set up with the expectation that sales profits stemmed from ticket cancellations, which is exactly opposite the truth. The airline does not sell the ticket in the hope that you cancel. It's expected that you book with the intent of taking the trip.

When you book, the conditions of purchase are given.

It's a little like those who buy their ticket, go to the airport, and then whine that security screening represents unusual search. It's a condition of entering the secure area, just as a fee for cancellation is a condition of purchase.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I no longer fly, but am frequently astonished that people book on other airlines where their route has a Southwest flight available. Souhwest doesn’t fly to every city, or from every city, but if it is available, why endure or risk these adverse conditions, baggage charge, ticket change, etc?

We had a visitor from the midwest who came and returned on United. There were Southwest flight, with similar stops, etc.

Why risk these situations?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post