SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on the auto start-stop engines?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the auto start-stop engines? Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Don't you guys suppose that an auto start/stop engine will have the starter components engineered for the anticipated use?

I have an APU on a truck that is used for hotel loads. It starts and stops constantly, and when it does start, it revs immediately up to full speed (1800 rpm). It now has over 12,500 hours on the unit, and nothing has been replaced. It doesn't even use any oil between changes. It is a Yanmar diesel. You can see the flywheel, and the teeth look brand new. Those Japanese make a hell-of-a little diesel motor!

Sigforum 100 years ago:
"Starters? Pfffft!! My hand crank never needs a jump!"

They can spec anything and an engineer somewhere will meet the spec. 6 duty cycles or 600,000 probably have a electric start on that 14 litre diesel too, how the hell can that work Roll Eyes :.

Every problem quoted can be accounted for... If they choose to. I bought a year early because I'm not convinced they'll choose wisely. I only see 5 stop signs on my commute and I still don't want it. For me it's an absolute waste of my money, my money.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Most of the people in the thread that don’t mind it are driving Volvos or Audis. I get that they may have figured it out / made a better system.

The crappy Fords and Chevies with it suck. When the motor turns off at a light, the AC flow cuts to about half in force and temperature - and the startup to acceleration / movement is near a second, if not more. Seems minor but if you are working in places where the temperatures top 100+ in the summer, it matters. Especially if you have to wait somewhere in your car.

Thankfully I’m a Hertz Gold member, so I get to pick my rental now. I sit in the car, smell for old smoke, check for USB ports, and start the car to see if it has this feature. If those checks fail, I move on to another car.

I recently sold my 2011 Yukon Denali XL and leased a 2018 Lincoln Navigator L (essentially, a fancy Ford Expedition).

It has auto start-stop. There's a switch to deactivate the feature, but unfortunately it resets to its default state (on) every time you turn the car off.

Honestly, after a few months, I don't even notice it any more. At a brief stop, the engine turns back on the moment my foot starts to lift from the brake pedal (not even OFF the brake - just LESS brake). It's up and running before I can get my foot on the gas. At longer stops, the engine turns back on by itself after a few minutes and doesn't turn back off. If the heater or AC is working hard, the engine doesn't turn off.

What has actually taken longer for me to get used to is that when you shift the car out of park, the parking brake stays engaged until you actually hit the gas - if you shift to drive and don't do anything else, the car just sits there.

Other than that, I like the Navigator a lot. It has a small-displacement, high-compression engine with twin turbos and puts out more torque and horsepower than my Yukon Denali did (which had the 6.2L V8) while getting significantly better mileage. It's also quieter, rides better, and has more comfortable seats and a better-sounding stereo.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
What has actually taken longer for me to get used to is that when you shift the car out of park, the parking brake stays engaged until you actually hit the gas - if you shift to drive and don't do anything else, the car just sits there.

You can also press on the same little switch you just pulled to set it and it should release the parking break.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Fords have a brake hold button, you can turn this on or off, it doesn't reset, when you come to a stop you can lift your foot off the brake pedal and the car will hold in position until you press the gas. Make sure that's turned off.

Yep the Ford doesn't take a while to restart the engine waiting on the gas to be pressed, as soon as you lift lightly off the brake it will start the engine. Also if you come to a stop with the wheels turned it will not stop, so you just have to learn how far to press the brake and not engage the stop/start, or just press the button.

My guess is on the EPA it's one of those things not designed to help mileage much in each car, but to reduce the emission of cars sitting at lights, since we have millions of cars every minute stopped at some light or intersection idling and giving off carbon.

Single - it's not much, collectively it's quite a bit, JMO it won't change the temp of the earth one iota.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

You can also press on the same little switch you just pulled to set it and it should release the parking break.

The parking brake is engaged automatically when you shift the car to park. You don't have to manually set the parking brake.

The issue (which is not actually a problem, just different behavior than I'm used to) is that the parking brake doesn't automatically disengage when you shift out of park - it automatically disengages when you shift out of park and then push the gas pedal.

An example is that, in the past, when I've parked on the side of the street, I would always shift to drive, let the car idle forward as I pull away from the curb a bit, then hit the gas and drive off. Now I shift to drive and the car just sits there unless I give it a bit of gas (to automatically release the parking brake) or hit the manual parking brake switch (to manually release the parking brake).

It's fine, it's just different.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Fords have a brake hold button, you can turn this on or off, it doesn't reset, when you come to a stop you can lift your foot off the brake pedal and the car will hold in position until you press the gas. Make sure that's turned off.

I'm aware of the brake hold function. That's completely separate from what I'm talking about (and frankly, seems like a really stupid idea - I can easily imagine a distracted driver not quite stopping all the way, expecting brake hold to engage when it doesn't, and inching forward to bump the car in front).

The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's for people that are used to driving electric cars that don't idle forward.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post