SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on the auto start-stop engines?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the auto start-stop engines? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Such as what Ford is apparently making standard on their vehicles.
Should I not have an aversion to this? Is it not another thing to break/disaster in waiting?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
27k on my F150 without issue so far.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Starters, solenoids, flywheel teeth and turbos.

I'm sure there's someone on the forum that can calculate MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures)...

As soon as I saw these liberal dream devices (auto start/stop engines) one aspect became clear- Imagine you are driving a typical car or truck. You start that vehicle once for each driving session for each segment under normal conditions. Depending on the horsepower or electronic complexity of the vehicle, a starter might last 75k miles or greater. No one has any real consumer data yet but a vehicle in city traffic could conceivably stop/start/stop a 50+ times during one day.

While some starters are less than a hundred dollars. Most are more expensive. Also consider flywheel ring teeth. They generally wear at a rate consistent with starting sequences.
Even if you use those magic foo-foo-dust integrated-starter-alternator devices they are developing/proposing the wear is hundreds of times greater than a normal vehicle. Changing a flywheel is not cheap.

This is not even addressing heat build up and wear in non-commercial turbo vehicles. *When you turn off an engine the turbo spins down with no pressurized lubrication. That space of time between engine "ON" running (oil pressure) and engine "OFF" is the highest friction sequence time for a turbo as well as other parts.
No cooling system flow when the engine is off- either, which means you may also have decreased oil lubrication properties loss without this being reflected by mileage.

Imagine vehicles that spend a lot of time in traffic, particularly in hot states.

So what happens to your AC when the engine is off?

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Annoying as all hell. I've disabled it on my BMW.

Adding another point, my last BMW was a manual and had it. Car would shudder every time I pushed the clutch in. Not as bad since current one is an auto.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Starters, solenoids, flywheel teeth and turbos.

I'm sure there's someone on the forum that can calculate MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures)...

We looked at a Toyota Highlander that had start-stop. On the test drive, I asked the salesman if it could be disabled as it was annoying as hell. I live in Florida, it gets hot here. The AC has to stay on at all times over the summer.

Just more shit to break by turning it on-off.

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I hate them.

HATE.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I get them as rentals sometimes.

They suck, especially in hot weather as the AC 'runs / blows' but it's not cold anymore when the motor turns off - like the fan is running but that's it.

So I just manually put it in Neutral as I approach the stop sign and that keeps the motor running, then I click it back to Drive when the light changes to green - kind of like driving a manually transmission for dummies.

They are also a dog off the line, even with the Gucci auto fast start, it's slower than a similar car with a engine running.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Damn sure seem like a bad deal in a traffic jam in a city like Houston. A battery killer.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
2015 Volvo XC60, 50k miles. Auto start/stop works great. If air conditioning is on and needed, engine will automatically start. It will not let the interior get hot.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they came about to save the climate Roll Eyes Never mind about the pain in the ass they are.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Most of the Fords can easily be deactivated with ForScan.

I think it is a terrible idea. Had a loaner vehicle it was very annoying.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25405 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I can’t stand them. Hopefully I’ll never own a vehicle with that mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Why the hate? At least on the Volvo restart is instantaneous.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Why the hate? At least on the Volvo restart is instantaneous.
Sounds like Volvo has it right (from your report). The Non-Volvo cars I have driven (I forget the myriad of Fords and other mainstream junk I've driven as rental cars) have sucked for the above mentioned reasons - hot car and slow restart responses and performance.

quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I think they came about to save the climate Roll Eyes Never mind about the pain in the ass they are.

Yes yes, they'll "save the world". LMFAO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Grand Cherokee has it and I hate it. Other brands do it better but this one is slow to restart and not smooth at all. Thankfully someone makes a module you can buy that disables it as otherwise you have to hit the off button every start.

It isn't terribly scientific but after a year plus of owning the Jeep and keeping this crap off, I ran it for a tank of gas. Same commute, essentially the same temperature, filled at the same station and I got essentially the same MPG.

The only reason this is being done is manufacturers get an across the board CAFE credit for this garbage, regardless of whether or not it actually saves fuel.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Hate ‘em. Had to deal with the annoyance on rentals.

I have a hard time believing the constant start and stop does not cause premature wear.

What exactly is the savings on fuel?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
You can thank your Federal Gooberment - manufacturers trying to figure out how to adhere to CAFE standards. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...average_fuel_economy

The question you really need to ask is: “Why do we give them so much control over our lives and freedoms?”

BTW - We just turn the function off.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
I can't tell about the benefits of it for fuel mileage or wear and tear.

In the Volvo system, stopped at a red light, engine stops. Lift your foot off the brake and you're on your way. There is no pause or hesitation. There is an illuminated button on the console to disable the function. There is also an indicator on the tachometer when it has powered the engine off.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Mrs. slosig's BMW has it. I find it mildly annoying, but it isn't that hard to game so the car is running when I want it to be. When I harassed the salesman (who is a friend) about it was going to eat starters he claimed that that has not been what they have seen and that BMW supposedly beefed up the starters before rolling this out. Time will tell.

On the beemer at least, if you get off the brake and let it creep a little, it restarts and turns off the auto start stop until you get on the throttle and move out a bit. Additionally, there is a button to disable it.

Do I want it on a car? Nope. Can I work around it if I have to? Yes.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a company car Malibu with it for 3 years now. After a while you don't notice it. No problems, but then the lease is up and I'll be in an Escape soon...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post