SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many hunters
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many hunters Login/Join 
posted
I grew up hunting and still love it. I hunt dove and then mostly quail. My love for this is tied a lot to my many bird dogs over the years. The act of training a dog to point and retrieve and then hunting with them gives a special feeling.

I also hunt rabbits a couple of times a year with my brother and his beagles. I do not deer hunt but eat plenty of venison that my friend provide.

Question:
How many of you hunt?

Choices:
frequently
occasionally
previously
never

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Grew up hunting upland game (Pheasant, quail, woodcock, turkey, etc...)

Now I have an annual deer hunt in Nebraska and raising my kids to do the same.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I also grew up in a hunting family, and I still do it every year.

Although I have stopped waterfowl hunting since I no longer like to eat them.

Already have my out of state tags sent in, and just waiting on the draw results... Big Grin

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Down to just deer now.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I mainly hunt hogs, once or twice a year.

I've been deer hunting a few times, and duck and quail hunting once each.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
While I love to hunt anything, my real passion is for deer and other big game. Haven't gotten to do as much hunting as I would like these last few years.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I did not grow up hunting. However, my wife;s uncle loves to hunt. He raises llamas to take on pack trips for deer and elk season. He currently has about 12 llamas or so. We usually take about 8 llamas on the annual elk hunt. We go to a wilderness area so no motorized vehicles are allowed. I've never seen another hunter as far back as we go. I left my GPS on the entire time 3 years ago. We did 42 miles on foot in 6 days.

I'd probably go during deer season if I had more vacation time.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I shoot feral hogs whenever I see them, but I wouldn't classify it as hunting. more like killing cockroaches.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
You name it, I'll hunt it. Mostly bird hunting (doves, waterfowl, quail, pheasant) and deer hunting. We kill the occasional rabbits, hogs, and turkeys, as well. And I have a soft spot for small game hunting that I can't wait to introduce my boys to. I have such great memories of squirrel hunting when I was younger but I don't do it much anymore.

I love following dogs around looking for quail, but if I had to just pick one thing to do forever, it'd be dove hunting. I love all of the social aspects of the hunt, to go along with the challenging wing shooting.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have, mostly deer, but I suck at it.

It wasn't something I grew up doing. Dad and brothers didn't hunt for a few reasons but mostly because game was scarce at that time in central Michigan. The odd pheasant, maybe a rabbit if you were lucky.

So lack of experience, lack of practice, lack of knowledge and now advancing age, stiffness, inability to sit for more than a few minutes without moving to relieve stiffness and pain, inability to get through the woods quietly just makes it pretty pointless these days.

Daughter and grandson are all over hunting and fishing and pretty darn good at both. Daughter has taken turkey and black bear, been skunked on deer so far but really getting after it both gun and bow seasons. She's also right into fishing.

I've done a little fishing and had fun when the perch were biting. Enjoyed a day on the ice and caught a couple of nice ones, but the "catch and release" thing doesn't interest me. The couple of times I went out with friends to do that all I could think of was all the stuff I could be getting done if I wasn't sitting on my ass wasting time in a boat.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I shoot feral hogs whenever I see them, but I wouldn't classify it as hunting. more like killing cockroaches.

I'm the same way with foxes and porcupines.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I hunt doves every year, and often waterfowl as well.

I am not a big game hunter. Not for any particular reason other than it is a greater time and money commitment.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up hunting, did it most of my life, taught my kids to hunt, hunted everything available in my state, birds, small game, deer, hogs, now due to arthritis a can no longer hunt. Well I could hunt but due to my hands and lack of hand strength I can't do the stuff that is required after the kill. In the past I processed my own deer, I had access to a walk in cooler, I would age deer for a week or two hide on, skin it, cut the meat off the carcass, break down the cuts to cooking size portions, etc. now I could still kill a deer, but the rest of the process can not do. Same for fishing. My left hand can just barely handle 5 pounds and that for only a short time, right hand is better but no by much. Getting old sucks!!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Never been bird hunting.
Used to deer hunt every year; actual got an elk one year.

Great experience, but expensive elk meat. Must have cost close to $100,000......in 15 years of 'elk pursuit' I wore out 2 campers & 3 pick ups & changed rifles 3 times.....

Ok, ok.....just got too geezered up to continue my joyful excursions into the awesome outback to bear the concerns of 'what if I actually get another one?'

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Been hunting rabbit, grouse, turkey, duck & deer for over 40 years now.

Also tried my hand at Chukar hunting in Oregon which was a whole lot of work for very little reward. Wink

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted April 26, 2017 09:56 AM Hide Post
I hunt doves every year, and often waterfowl as well.

I am not a big game hunter. Not for any particular reason other than it is a greater time and money commitment.

We did not have deer or so little there was no hunting season where I grew up. So I never did it and later got so involved with wing shooting that I just never tried it,

Now it the same area they have huge number of deer. My brother who still lives there has hit two with his car in the last year.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I bowhunt for deer, hogs and turkeys and enjoy wingshooting as well. These days I am mostly a guide for my 10 and 13 year old boys but that suits me just fine.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I missed the window where I was of age and my dad would have taken me hunting. He fractured his leg around that age and never hunted again until I was out of the house and in the Marines. He's gone now and we never hunted together.

Once I got married and had a full time job, kids and responsibilities, I didn't have time for it.

I only recently got back into it and have been hunting for the last 6 years. I finally got my first deer in 2015 at the age of 42. I've resolved that I won't miss another season now until I can't hold up a rifle. By that time, I'll be driving the jeep so my kid(s) can hunt and traipse through the woods.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I don't know if what I do/have done is actually hunting or not. I have shot varmints on the ranch. Rabid raccoons, groundhogs etc that were posing a threat to the horses or farming.

I don't much care for the experience of killing things. I have no problem the idea of hunting and I get how people like to hunt. My in-laws are avid duck hunters. I just don't really care for it.

Fishing on the other hand. Smile But even there we catch and release about 99% of the time.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
German Wirehaired Pointer owner here. I love watching a dog work. Unfortunately, we have very few pheasants anymore here in southern Michigan even though we manage our property for upland bird habitat. We are on the far north edge of quail range so quail hunting is pretty hit or miss. No dove hunting as the HSUS got it banned via referendum after one season.

Most of my hunting anymore is deer hunting which I can do out my back door. I have to travel 3 hours north to get into partridge or woodcock.

We do have ducks and geese but I'm not a big waterfowl hunter.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post