SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AI As A Weapon -- Death By Swarm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AI As A Weapon -- Death By Swarm Login/Join 
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
The Singularity must not happen.

AI is one thing, but I want my toasters, cars and killer drones as dumb as possible and still be able to do the job required.

No need to have Marvin the smart robot, questioning why he is catering to the whims of a bunch of meatsuits and putting 1 and 1 together.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Functionally you are correct. However being actively hunted by a robot is a very different emotional experience than falling victim to a booby trap.

Edited to add: I meant this as a reply to Fenris, apologies for any confusion Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arabiancowboy,

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You want the Butlerian Jihad? Because that's how you get the Butlerian Jihad.

I'm actually reading a novel where nanobots were weaponized. Some Iranians developed them, released them into the air, where they spread around the globe and infected pretty much everybody. They lay dormant, just multiplying really, but doing nothing else, until the kill signal is given, and then they proceed to kill the fuck out of you, violently. Sounds like a bad time to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The batteries on those tiny little things would only go for around 5 minutes and an emp would render them inert.

AI?

meh

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34112 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
Let them loose on our foes. I have worked in robotics for 30 years and with the proper rules then no worries. Don’t fall for the Hollywood BS terminator crap.

What about hacking and cyber security issues? Just about anything can be hacked. Surely these AI based robots will have a datalink of some kind that provides a way to hack in.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
You want the Butlerian Jihad? Because that's how you get the Butlerian Jihad.

I'm actually reading a novel where nanobots were weaponized. Some Iranians developed them, released them into the air, where they spread around the globe and infected pretty much everybody. They lay dormant, just multiplying really, but doing nothing else, until the kill signal is given, and then they proceed to kill the fuck out of you, violently. Sounds like a bad time to me.

Sounds like south Louisiana mosquitoes too. Smile

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We damn well better have them. We all know the bad guys will. Whether or not we use them will be determined by future events.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is going to determine what the targets are?

An old saying goes, the people voting don't matter, the people counting the votes are who matters.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Who is going to determine what the targets are?

Well, everybody. Robots are simple-minded....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post