SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AI As A Weapon -- Death By Swarm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AI As A Weapon -- Death By Swarm Login/Join 
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted
https://www.facebook.com/RTDoc...os/1819508171439117/

Question:
Are you for or against military use of AI to kill humans without human oversight?

Choices:
Yes -- it is okay (please say why)
Yes -- But AI must obey Asimov's 3 rules of robotics
No -- AI has no restraints

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Appreciate if someone could help me open the video.
------------

Thank you cheni

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rustyblade,

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Can we have a choice of No without Asimov's bleating attached?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Can we have a choice of No without Asimov's bleating attached?

Good point. Thank you.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
With current state of human intelligence and competencies, NO to AI doing anything that might harm humans (intentionally or not) without oversight.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with autonomous vehicles attacking and destroying military vehicles during combat, with combatants within or not. But any device targeting individuals must have direct oversight.

On another note, I am shocked that there has not been some kind of terror attack utilizing a drone. It would be a simple matter to load a large, weight bearing drone up with a toxic substance, biological weapon, or radioactive threat. It would be simple to pack one with explosives and fly it into the flight path of a jet on approach. The variety of attack scenarios are infinite.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15565 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Once the rock has left your hand, the only oversight you have is as a spectator."

-Ook the caveman

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think what we might say has no bearing on what will actually be done.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
...But AI must obey Asimov's 3 rules of robotics

In case you have never read them:

"A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law." Wink

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Are you kidding me? Just the fact that you linked to the right arm of the beast freaks me out!

Eek

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Asimov was brilliant, as were his Robot books, but although his three laws impressed the ever-lovin’ out of me as a kid, others pointed out later that even if it were possible to ensure they were enforced faithfully in AI creations, that wouldn’t guarantee things would turn out the way we humans would prefer. One of the most obvious issues is the “or, through inaction, allow a human to come to harm” clause. An AI might decide that countless things we humans do cause harm to ourselves: owning weapons, eating the wrong foods, releasing pollutants into the environment, engaging in risky activities such as riding motorcycles, etc. And because controlling such things would require rigorous control over our behaviors, that’s what would be necessary: countless free will restrictions.

If the three laws were followed, it would of course be impossible for an AI to serve as a weapon except, possibly, against other robots.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I welcome our Robot overlords.

I'm getting sick of people and their "feelings" being so fucking important.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I'm sure South Korea wouldn't mind the Samsung automated gun platform system gunning anything in sight down if it's northern neighbors were to march across the dmz.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Let them loose on our foes. I have worked in robotics for 30 years and with the proper rules then no worries. Don’t fall for the Hollywood BS terminator crap.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
No -- AI has no restraints

Not what I had in mind.

It should be:

No -- AI cannot be used as a weapon against any living entity, ever. Period. No exceptions.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I welcome our Robot overlords.

I'm getting sick of people and their "feelings" being so fucking important.

Agreed. I'd rather depend on AI than people in most cases.

Posts: 2365 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think this made the rounds about 6 months ago.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I think what we might say has no bearing on what will actually be done.

Agree with this. Regardless of what we as a people with a conscious might do, our enemies will use it to fight us without the moral constraints.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
How is an AI killing someone without human supervision any different than a non-AI land mine or booby trap killing someone? Dead is dead.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post