SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018 HYUNDAI SONATA SPORT vs. 2018 NISSAN ALTIMA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 HYUNDAI SONATA SPORT vs. 2018 NISSAN ALTIMA Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
New job, new company car.

I'm leaning towards the Sonata, but the Nissan is an option. Thoughts?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sonata.

CVTs are no bueno.

http://www.nissanproblems.com/trends/cvt/

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If work is paying for it, get the one that costs more. Big Grin

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
CVTs are no bueno.

CVT?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a different type of transmission than the traditional geared transmission.

see the link I posted up above for a description of some of Nissan's historical problems with the design

-----------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
see the link I posted up above for a description of some of Nissan's historical problems with the design

Thank you. Work is paying for it...insurance, gas, the works....but I'll be spending a LOT of time in it. My wife wants me to hurry the hell up and get it so she can take my 4-Runner away! LOL

To add -

CVT - like that Craftsman tractor engines I sold I sears? Screw that! Hydrostatic all the way!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm easy to please. HP to Weight ration is all I need to decide.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
company car is a nice perk

have you had a chance to sit in / drive both?

also - will you likely be driving commuter type miles or long-haul cruising miles -- 100+ miles per trip?

---------------------------

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've driven both. I'm partial to the Sonata.

Trips will run 25 to 50 miles at a time. Check in for a bit; then back on the road.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
if the Sonata is comfortable for you - I would go with that.

I really dislike the CVTs based on the throttle response 'feel' which is commonly referred to as the 'rubber band effect'

it's just weird like 'what the hell is my car doing??' ... revving but not accelerating...

---------------------

posted Hide Post
Wife drives a Sonata SE 2.0T.

274hp and paddle shifters make it fun for me to drive. I'm sure she has never used them.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother, who puts 30k plus miles a year on his car, bought the 2018 Sonata Sport in December. He is very pleased with it. I have a 2016 Optima with the Turbo and 6-speed automatic. The 8-speed automatic on the Sonata Sport is a huge improvement.

What you really want is the Kia Stinger or Genesis G70 with the 3.3 liter turbo, AWD. Drove one at a Kia track event. Great performance. The base Stinger has the 2.0 liter Turbo and I believe the 8-speed.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
What you really want is the Kia Stinger or Genesis G70 with the 3.3 liter turbo, AWD. Drove one at a Kia track event. Great performance. The base Stinger has the 2.0 liter Turbo and I believe the 8-speed.

I read about and drooled over both for months. When it came down to it, though, I bought an '18 Accord Touring 2.0, and love it. It also has a 2.0 turbo, and has plenty of pep (<6 second 0-60). See Car and Driver, Automobile Mag, etc.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I sure as hell wouldn't let a CVT make or break my decision. I drove one for three uneventful years. Mash on the gas till you reach the speed you desire at rate you wish to get there. It's that simple, quit thinking and start driving.

In my experience the Altima was not exactly happy with a MN winter. It survived and worked it just didn't seem happy. I was quite comfortable driving it. 3000 mile vacation trip that included a straight through run from Durango, CO. through to MN. 40,000 miles over 3 years no issues at all.

I guess I can't comment on the Sonata.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
My last Altima was a brand new 2007 w/ their VQ engine and CVT tranny. It ran flawlessly for over 330K miles before I swapped it out for my Cherokee Trailhawk in June 2015. If I hadn’t been looking for the off-road capability, I would be in another Altima.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
if the Sonata is comfortable for you - I would go with that.

I really dislike the CVTs based on the throttle response 'feel' which is commonly referred to as the 'rubber band effect'

it's just weird like 'what the hell is my car doing??' ... revving but not accelerating...

---------------------

This. If you truly enjoy driving, CVT will drive you nuts.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
My last Altima was a brand new 2007 w/ their VQ engine and CVT tranny. It ran flawlessly for over 330K miles before I swapped it out for my Cherokee Trailhawk in June 2015. If I hadn’t been looking for the off-road capability, I would be in another Altima.

-Rob

I've got some Nissan loyalty, with nearly 270k on my current (third) one. The VQ engine is a great one, and the CVT is only "strange" briefly.

Plus, the Altima is US-built. (Sonatas may be as well, I don't know.)

Hyundai quality has come up tremendously in the past ten years or so, but I'd still choose the Altima.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ask a Wrecker driver which brand they drive to the shop more frequently for mechanical issues Wink I'd buy the Nissan with a 4 banger

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Yes, I've driven both. I'm partial to the Sonata.

Trips will run 25 to 50 miles at a time. Check in for a bit; then back on the road.

I have been driving a Elantra for 6 years. Great car. A tad smaller than the Sonata, but I think you will be happy with the Sonata.

And the mileage is really great. Probably not a problem for you if the company is paying, but my average mileage is above 35 MPG in combined cuty and highway traffic.

Once drove from Richmond to Manassas and the MPG was FIFTY FOUR! 4 cylinder, 1.8 liter.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hyundai's warranty tips the scale for me and I don't care for a cvt transmission.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post