SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know anything about Abilene. TX?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything about Abilene. TX? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
May have a temporary work assignment taking me to Abilene. I know nothing about the area except it looks like it's smack dab in the middle of Texas, 2 hours from Dallas and flatter than Kansas.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Midkand in late 90s and visited Abilene several times back then. My buddy drives thru several times a year on his way to his cabin in the NM Mountains and I put his Abilene restaurant recommendation in this thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...280070824#5280070824

Here is another thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...070028634#7070028634

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Hendrick or Regional?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
As far as the town, it's really not a bad place. Small town feel. Plenty of restaurants, movie theaters, etc. Home to Abilene Christian where they field a D1 baseball program and other college sports. Clean, no/low crime. A lot worse places to spend some time. Given where you live, the climate will be pretty similar except it will get a bit colder in the winter.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer, don't live there but have a buddy who runs the C130J simulator and lives there.

They like it, generally nice and small town feel as mentioned. Better than Lubbock, but can still get hail, tornadoes, locusts and heat - those extremes can and do happen. They love it, and not entirely as flat as further west Texas. Any specific questions I'd be happy to pass on and get answered.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Have been there several times in the past for Cowboy Action shoots, thought the folks were friendly and the restaurants Texas.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The women there, they don't treat you mean, in Abilene.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I live in the DFW area and lately I've been seeing quite a few commercials promoting Abilene tourism. Frankly, I'm not really sure why they would advertise in the DFW area but I gotta say the commercials are quite sad. Nothing in them make me say "I've got to head to Abilene to see that".

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
The women there, they don't treat you mean, in Abilene.

Prettiest town I’ve ever seen...

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know about Abilene is that’s where CDNN is located. I suppose you could kill some time browsing there.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
flatter than Kansas.

I assume you have never been to the Flint Hills or Medicine Lodge Area?

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I stayed in Abilene because I didn’t want to stay in Sweetwater. I remember a fantastic steak house but I can’t recall the name. Maybe someone can refresh my memory. It was nothing fancy but the cuts where insane.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Just beware of the Abilene paradox!

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was born in Abilene. It is West Texas all the way, despite looking like it is more central. Oil and cattle. More oil than cattle. It is about 2 hours from everything.

Dyess AFB is there.

It is a fine place, and the people are good, but there isn't much happening.

Hot, dry and flat.

The Perini Ranch is said to grill a superior steak. It is in Buffalo Gap, 10 miles out of Abilene itself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I know little about it, only having passed through the area in 1990 on my way to somewhere else, but it's got to be better than "the 'rez.'" Big Grin

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I was born in Abilene. It is West Texas all the way, despite looking like it is more central. Oil and cattle. More oil than cattle. It is about 2 hours from everything.

Dyess AFB is there.

It is a fine place, and the people are good, but there isn't much happening.

Hot, dry and flat.

The Perini Ranch is said to grill a superior steak. It is in Buffalo Gap, 10 miles out of Abilene itself.

Don't forget the wind that never stops!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Been to Abilene many times, but never lived there. It is not a bad town, but there is not a lot there.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Sweet Eileen's in Abilene.
She forgot I hung the moon.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Better hotel prices than Odessa or Midland...as in a Quality Inn in Odessa or Midland are $300 a night, I assume it's due to the oil guys staying there.

Driven through several times only stayed a couple time, it's WTX....windy hot .....windy and hot

People seem nice

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I had some ice cream there one Sunday.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post