SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What should our daughter join? Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts or 4H?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should our daughter join? Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts or 4H? Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I am in a conundrum this week. I know we've discussed the new "Scouts BSA" several times in here and I earned my Eagle Scout in 1997. We currently have a son that is a Bear in Cub Scouts. We have a good Pack in his school, it allowed him to meet a core group of boys and experience the school as we transitioned into it.

Our daughter is in 1st grade and next year she will be going to the same school. Her brother will be there, she's been inside of it and raced Pinewood Derby in the sibling races. In her school yearbook last year where it includes "what you want to be when you grow up" under each picture, instead of "mommy, dentist, astronaut, etc." she told them "cub scout." Its what her big brother does, she sees him in his uniform doing cool adventures and camping out with me. She knows I'm an Eagle Scout. I'm fine with her being in Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts with other girls, if its what she wants to do.

I asked her what she wants to do, she's unsure. We tried ballet a couple of years, she got bored with it and interrupted the class so we stopped it. Our Pack can be co-ed, but we have no girls. It would be easier for me if she joined it, but she said she would like to do it with other girls and I agree that would be best for all (and what Scouts BSA technically requires). We had a girl in our den two years ago for Tigers, she left and joined the Girl Scouts. If she does Cub Scouts it will be a whole other Pack at a Catholic church we don't go to because there are girls there. The Girl Scout Daisies for the school meet the same night as Cub Scouts our son is in.

She can be a girly-girl at times. When I told her they do crafts she lit up. She can also be crazy, she might end up being a Navy Seal some day or kill a deer with a pocket knife.

It will likely be me attending the programming with her, I know little about Girl Scouts and some of the SJW stuff gives me the heebie jeebies. The wife does church school each week with them, she's not going to be getting "mother/daughter" bonding out of this, it will be "father/daughter." I really don't have a strong desire to learn Girl Scouts as I am getting more involved with Cub Scouts as I think I am the only Eagle Scout in our Pack. However, we also have a 2yr old daughter, so maybe it would carry over to her if she does Girl Scouts. I also don't have a strong desire to be in two Packs, if that is even possible (two Den meetings a week (at least they meet on a different day), twice the campouts, twice the popcorn sales, etc.)

Then there are other options like 4H. We live in the suburbs, but I wouldn't mind living in the country. My wife did 4H, but I don't know if she would do it with them. I know its not all livestock, but there will be some kids there showing animals and she will want to do that and it just can't happen in suburbia.

Thoughts? Anyone experienced with Girl Scouts here? I didn't do a poll because this isn't really a voting thing, more of what is SF'ers experiences in this situation.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the best path for your family is cub scouts. Especially if you are going to be involved you can help direct what activities happen. Sounds like you ha e the background and desire and she also wants to go that direction. It's all about the den leadership as to what the kids get out of it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife works for Girl Scouts, their focus is into turning young women into the absolute best they can be, always has been always will be. If I didn't see their vision directly the way I do I may not feel so strongly about it, but I don't think their is a better organization directly focused on girls.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Whichever is the least gay

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plus the cookies are way better and easier to sell than that crappy popcorn.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I was in 4H and Boy Scouts. They work in different ways. 4H we had a camp we went to each year. Boy Scouts went camping multiple times a summer, in different places. Take your pick. 4H was more refined, Boy Scouts, not so much. What I would suggest is you attend each one's meeting and then decide. 4H doesn't require silly uniforms.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Actually depends on the local leadership. Talk with the leaders about camps & activities and see what fits.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Well, I think Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts can be gay, not sure about 4H. There is nothing gay about cookies though.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Take a look at American Heritage Girls

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Not sure about girl scouts so much but there were a lot of crafts in cub scouts which seemed kind of gayish but the kids had fun. We did a lot of camping too which helped offset the crafts for me. I have heard some girl scouts spend a lot of time outdoors and some do not. I am sure the same is true for BSA scouts as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Well, I think Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts can be gay, not sure about 4H. There is nothing gay about cookies though.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun Zeke:
Actually depends on the local leadership. Talk with the leaders about camps & activities and see what fits.

That's solid advice

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
My wife works for Girl Scouts, their focus is into turning young women into the absolute best they can be, always has been always will be. If I didn't see their vision directly the way I do I may not feel so strongly about it, but I don't think their is a better organization directly focused on girls.

Respectfully, GSA doesn’t exactly align itself with traditional conservative values when it comes to young women:

https://thefederalist.com/2017...leaving-girl-scouts/

https://www.hli.org/resources/girl-scouts-liberal/

https://archive.thinkprogress....change-34c65b27634a/

I’m sure direct involvement in any pro-choice, LBGTQRSXYZ, or climate change activism varies widely from troop to troop, but it’s certainly a good idea to be aware of what the organization supports and what you support through it, IMO.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
My daughter is currently a wolf scout and has been the only girl in her den during lions and tigers.

I am also an eagle scout and I love the organization and what it stands for. Being the only girl in a den makes things very difficult. Probably more difficult than being in 2 packs.

I would either find some friends to join the den with her or bite the bullet and join both packs.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

Respectfully, GSA doesn’t exactly align itself with traditional conservative values when it comes to young women:

https://thefederalist.com/2017...leaving-girl-scouts/

https://www.hli.org/resources/girl-scouts-liberal/

https://archive.thinkprogress....change-34c65b27634a/

I’m sure direct involvement in any pro-choice, LBGTQRSXYZ, or climate change activism varies widely from troop to troop, but it’s certainly a good idea to be aware of what the organization supports and what you support through it, IMO.

-Rob

Respectfully the Boy Scouts don't have the best history of aligning themselves with conservative values either, and them allowing girls in was a money grab because they knew the Mormon Church was pulling all of their boys out of Boy Scouts. Unfortunately the Boy Scouts organization is a shell of what it once was.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun Zeke:

That's solid advice

Girl Scouts. Interview her potential scout leader, I forget what they call themselves, my daughter had an awesome leader starting at Kindergarten as a Daisy. She stayed with it all the way through 8th grade, same leader. Very involved, caring lady. They were always doing something, my daughter had a blast. Selling the cookies was fun too. I would order several boxes extra and take them to work, they didn't last long and my daughter was the cookie champ every year

On the other hand, my son signed up in Cub Scouts. The den leader didn't have his heart in it and they did really lame things once a week at a church, crafts and such. No camping, no outdoorsy anything. He didn't want to go back again after the one year. I do regret not stepping in some

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheeze:
Take a look at American Heritage Girls
^^^^ This. I have seen them at our range doing some rifle qualification stuff.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the parental involvement. I am the Pack Treasurer, Popcorn Kernel and den leader for Bears this year. I was Wolf den leader last year, and both Tiger and Wolf den leader 2 years ago. My biggest frustration is the fact that parents don't want to do anything. We have very little parent involvement, and if it wasn't for the fact that both of my boys want to stay in Cub Scouts I probably would've pulled them by now because I am tired of doing everything.

I am looking forward to Boy Scouts as the boys take on a much larger leadership role. I don't mind doing the work if I wasn't the only one doing it.

The national council statements are just noise, don't pay any attention to that stuff.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ultimately, it depends on the adult leadership and the parents that support it; we had a saying in our troop, that rings true for most youth organizations: 'child (boy) lead but, parent driven'. I had a very positive experience in Boy Scouts, much of it was due to a series of Scoutmasters being active in demonstrating leadership, delegating that down to the youth and then having a robust group of parents that supported it all; ultimately everyone knowing their roles/responsibilities. The parents all understood that the organization wasn't a baby-sitting service, and they were expected to contribute, either as a driver, helping on the administrative side or, being an assistant Scoutmaster. Scouting was great as it taught leadership through outdoor skills building. I understand Girl Scouts have shifted to be more about career field exposure/understanding and 4H thru livestock management/animal husbandry-type. Whatever gets her interested and involved, hopefully there's a solid foundation that you can participate in.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I'd put the kids into martial arts.

Posts: 1556 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again , not a parent .
but sending MY kid off to be with other adults,
where I am not present ,

Not any kind of an option at all .

I don't give a flying eff ,how many adults are there to " supervise " or groom.

If I ain't there , neither is my kid.

I couldn't survive in prison if I had to hunt down , torture and eventually dismember another human .

https://www.google.com/search?...mFBYMQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post