SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More chickens coming home to roost for Mizzou
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More chickens coming home to roost for Mizzou Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My son graduated from the University of Missouri in May and one of the speakers at the graduation ceremony had to take several swings at President Trump..uncalled for....

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/m...-the-left-1503258538

The commotion began in October 2015, when student activists claiming that “racism lives here” sent administrators a lengthy list of demands. Among them: The president of the University of Missouri system should resign after delivering a handwritten apology acknowledging his “white male privilege”; the curriculum should include “comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion” training; and 10% of the faculty and staff should be black.

Two weeks later, a student announced he was going on a hunger strike, and the football team refused to practice or play until the university met the demands. As protesters occupied the quad, administrators bent over backward to accommodate them, even providing a power strip so they could charge phones and a generator so they could camp in comfort.

A communications instructor, Melissa Click, appeared on viral video calling for “muscle” to remove a student reporter from the quad. By Nov. 9, both the president and the chancellor of Mizzou, as the flagship Columbia campus is known, had resigned.

As classes begin this week, freshmen enrollment is down 35% since the protests , according to the latest numbers the university has publicly released. Mizzou is beginning the year with the smallest incoming class since 1999.

In May, Mizzou announced it would lay off as many as 100 people and eliminate 300 more positions through retirement and attrition. Last year the university reduced its library staff and cut 50 cleaning and maintenance jobs.

Mizzou’s 2016 football season drew almost 13,000 fewer attendees than in 2015, local media reported. During basketball games, one-third of the seats in the Mizzou Arena sat empty.

Universities have consistently underestimated the power of a furious public.

At the same time, they’ve overestimated the power of student activists, who have only as much influence as administrators give them. Far from avoiding controversy, administrators who respond to campus radicals with cowardice and capitulation should expect to pay a steep price for years.

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

At the same time, they’ve overestimated the power of student activists, who have only as much influence as administrators give them. Far from avoiding controversy, administrators who respond to campus radicals with cowardice and capitulation should expect to pay a steep price for years.

There might be a message in this for certain governors and mayors that seem inclined to capitulate to noisy activists making not just unreasonable, but downright ludicrous demands.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
That college will go broke. Live and learn.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right on

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Fate is a fickle mistress.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Right on

Most colleges run on thin margins. If they lose 10-20% of their expected new admissions for a year or two, they are toast. I guess they can spend their endowment funds, if that is even allowed. They are on borrowed time IMO. F'em.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
If it were a private school you would be correct.
Then again this wouldn't have happened at a private school.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
It's called Karma.

It can be very, very good. Or, it can suck donkey balls. For them, it appears to be the latter.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

They are a state school, and the "largest" and "most popular" in the state.

THey won't let them go broke.

But they MIGHT just learn something from this... or at least I hope...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

They are a state school, and the "largest" and "most popular" in the state.

THey won't let them go broke.

But they MIGHT just learn something from this... or at least I hope...

Good point. But eventually the state might get tired of pouring money into that hole...

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Good point. But eventually the state Taxpayers might get tired of pouring money into that hole...[/QUOTE]

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Good point. But eventually the state Taxpayers might get tired of pouring money into that hole...[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Exactly right!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m not as gleeful about all this as some.

One thing I’m not seeing discussed is that not all the boycotters are doing so because the school supinely caved into the “protesters’” demands. In one article I read, someone said she would avoid the school because she didn’t want to attend a racist school, and the protests demonstrated that that’s what it is.

Although one argument is therefore that the school should have just stood up and said, “No, we’re not a racist institution, and we’re not going to get rid of anyone or give into unreasonable demands,” the other side of that coin would be the argument that they should have in fact dealt with the institutional racism earlier and more effectively. If they’d done that, the argument would go, there would have never been any protests and demands to cave into to begin with.

My point is that I believe it’s a mistake to assume that all of the university’s current troubles are due to a righteous backlash against its earlier actions. Some is due not to their going too far, but to not going far enough.

Added: Before responding to my post, please read it. I am outlining a possible argument, not stating my position on the matter. I agree with those who say that schools like this should stand up and refuse to give into unreasonable demands.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Added: Before responding to my post, please read it. I am outlining a possible argument, not stating my position on the matter. I agree with those who say that schools like this should stand up and refuse to give into unreasonable demands.

Your argument is not only possible, but it is factual. There are students who said they wouldn't go to Mizzou because of perceived racism. This was studied though, and it was found that the vast majority who didn't go to Mizzou was as a backlash against the actions of the administrations failure to stand up to the protestors.

So, yes, both reasons are possible and valid reasons not to attend Mizzou.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
This was studied though, and it was found that the vast majority who didn't go to Mizzou was as a backlash against the actions of the administrations failure to stand up to the protestors.

Something to take a little heart from then. Thank you.

The next question is whether such backlash will have any significant effect on other schools and institutions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Your argument is not only possible, but it is factual. There are students who said they wouldn't go to Mizzou because of perceived racism. This was studied though, and it was found that the vast majority who didn't go to Mizzou was as a backlash against the actions of the administrations failure to stand up to the protestors.

For those who won't attend Mizzou due to alleged racism, I wonder how their Plan B will work out for them.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
quote:

For those who won't attend Mizzou due to alleged racism, I wonder how their Plan B will work out for them.

Probably fine. But not for Mizzou!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is brilliant. Another college has successfully implemented Mizziou's recent business loss model. If only Evergreen had some kind of warning.

Evergreen enrollment down

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post