SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major home remodeling/renovation: is this feasible?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major home remodeling/renovation: is this feasible? Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
https://www.zillow.com/homedet...148/2097685092_zpid/

A little off the wall, but it would seem to me you could somehow, make the separate apartment/duplex living spaces on the second level, into one space. Same idea for the lower garage area, turning it into a super sized, 4 door garage... Now the question, how feasible/practical/cost effective? I have not seen the property to understand how it is currently built, and have little understanding or experience with major home renovation.

The place has been on the market for a good amount of time, so if a lowish quick cash offer could get it sold, and what I might like to do, feasible, I figured why not ask SF for some sound advice. Thanks.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick answer, yes, anything is possible. You might have to examine the structure a bit to determine how though.

A lot of times these places actually were single units that were split by building a wall. If so removing the wall and doing some refinish work will bring them back as a whole.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quick answer, yes, anything is possible.

It's only a matter of money. Big Grin

The way it's shaped, I doubt the wall running front to back is load bearing. With it being a duplex it may be a fire wall.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Given the way the roof is constructed (i.e. open gables on both ends), my 'bet' would be that the front and rear walls carry all the roof load of the roof, and all the interior walls would be non-load bearing. If that's the case, the upper story could likely be made into one large room rather simply. Can't tell in the pic if the lower story is masonry or not. If so, the walls separating the garages may also be masonry and provide support to the upper story. Even if the lower story is not masonry, the interior garage walls may still provide support. You may need a contractor to render an opinion on that issue.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The duplex woudl be simple enough.
Get the existing floorplan.

Find out what are internal load bearing walls, then figure out what you want to do with the bathroom(s) and Kitchen to eliminate them, or repurpose them.

For example, if each unit has a kitchen and one bath, you might tak out one kitchen and cap all plumbing, and keep both baths.

You might make the one kitchen a "Master bath" and keep or eliminate one of the existing two bathrooms.

Maybe the washer/dryer is downstairs, and you turn one kitchen into a utility/laundry room.

Things like that. And that would not be too costly.

Complete interior remodel, to include moving walls to generate an ideal or optimal layout might be more expensive, but the value of the property and the improvements may make a good investment, or it may be more that the value added, but what you want and can afford.

The downstairs would be fairly easy, the partition walls can be removed as likly posts and othe load bearing are already in place, and it is unlikly it is simple 2x4 on 16 centers providing loading. Post and joists and beams are more likley.

If you like the place, the location and have the means to do this, I would certainly find a good contractor to take a look and give you feedback.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Quick answer, yes, anything is possible.

It's only a matter of money. Big Grin

The way it's shaped, I doubt the wall running front to back is load bearing. With it being a duplex it may be a fire wall.

As a contractor I have to agree with this...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
From the visible window placement it would seem that the 2 units are mirror images of each other. Economics would probably place all the plumbing together in the middle, so the kitchens and bathrooms would probably be all in that part of the structure, with the living/dining rooms and bedrooms at the outer ends. Maybe combine the 2 kitchens into one big one? Keep the 2 bathrooms?a Just a guess, of course.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
4 door garage, you could have a motorcycle room... a gun room, cigar room, and a movie screen room, or combine them into one mega man cave room, all you need is a urinal, a bucket and a keg fridge...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Pull all the toys out, 10+ yard private indoor shooting range... (drooooolllll)

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The idea of a big open garage below would be attractive to me.
The weird floor plan and unattractive upstairs would be a no go for my wife.
Guess who would win?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
10+ yard private indoor shooting range... (drooooolllll)

I shoot diagonally across my 2-1/2 car garage, it is 31 feet from the shooting line to the target face.
I would guess a diagonal across that building is more like 70 feet, so shall we say 20 yards for certain, perhaps 25? A good bullet trap and you would be in business.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Took a look at it, and kinda like it. There is a neighbor a bit close on the LH side, with a fenced back yard... Gonna go back, and see if that means a lot of barking dogs.

4 bays just to my self, and a shooting range... WAY ahead of you guys! Truth be told, I have been looking for a "garage" home, a converted service station (with a lift of course) in a good location for forever - even a pole barn with just a head, shower, sink, and a stove would be perfect... Perfect.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Given the way the roof is constructed (i.e. open gables on both ends), my 'bet' would be that the front and rear walls carry all the roof load of the roof, and all the interior walls would be non-load bearing. If that's the case, the upper story could likely be made into one large room rather simply. Can't tell in the pic if the lower story is masonry or not. If so, the walls separating the garages may also be masonry and provide support to the upper story. Even if the lower story is not masonry, the interior garage walls may still provide support. You may need a contractor to render an opinion on that issue.

This sums up my non-expert opinion. Although, the roof line changes at the back of the house. Addition or what? That may complicate things.

Seems like a good rental unit. Is it really worth it to convert it to single family?

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
...all you need is a urinal, a bucket and a keg fridge...

This literally made me LOL. My wife came in to see what I was laughing at. Big Grin

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea! But, half of that basement is screaming MAN CAVE!!!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Real estate prices in other areas make me cry. I would have bought it yesterday.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Real estate prices in other areas make me cry. I would have bought it yesterday.

I know... That home would go for $???,??? in your neck of the woods? How about this $1700 sf Cape Cod beauty, sitting on over 3/4 ac - asking price $53 sq/ft. I'm surprised it's not sold yet, and I think I want to go see it, checkbook in hand.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...44515/34834139_zpid/

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
That home would go for $???,??? in your neck of the woods?

The asking price might get you a lot.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

I know... That home would go for $???,??? in your neck of the woods? How about this $1700 sf Cape Cod beauty, sitting on over 3/4 ac - asking price $53 sq/ft. I'm surprised it's not sold yet, and I think I want to go see it, checkbook in hand.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...44515/34834139_zpid/
Well, I didn't see an airport or motor sports track anywhere nearby, but there is a large rail yard a little more than 4 miles away. I believe that is a church across the road from it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geeeez, a one car garage would sell for that where I live......yes just the garage, no house..... I'd buy it, leave it alone, keep the garages and rent out the apartments.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post