SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are we about to get into a nuclear war with N.Korea?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are we about to get into a nuclear war with N.Korea? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Confused You have to sleep with Hillary whenever she wants you to so that she doesn't complain to Chelsea?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
North Korea could reportedly wreak havoc with high-altitude nuclear blast

A former U.S. ambassador wrote an op-ed in The Wall Street Journal Friday warning that North Korea’s nuclear threat is not limited to a bomb striking a U.S. city.

A nuclear bomb that detonates 40 miles above a target (and hundreds of miles away) could deliver serious consequences, Henry F. Cooper, who was the director of the Strategic Defense initiative under President George H.W. Bush, wrote.

He pointed to the time the U.S. detonated nuclear warhead 900 miles southwest of Hawaii. It was 1962 and the high-altitude nuclear bomb “destroyed hundreds of street lights in Honolulu, caused electrical surges on airplanes in the area and damaged at least six satellites.”

Russian generals reported back in 2004 that North Korea has in its possession the designs for these so-called “super EMP nuclear weapons,” th op-ed said. At around that time, Congress put together a commission to study such an explosion, and determined that there would be no effects on the ground, but the high-altitude electromagnetic pulse would render “critical electricity-dependent infrastructure” inoperable.

The op-ed raises questions about whether or not North Korea ran a “dry run” recently, when a medium-range missile reportedly exploded midflight in what was seen as a failure. The article questions if the missile was deliberately detonated.

The op-ed mentions that some analysts say that Pyongyang is far from launching a viable EMP attack on the U.S. or South Korea. But the EMP may be a more realistic option for Pyongyang, because there is little need for accuracy.

The op-ed pointed to a report that said “even a balloon-lofted warhead detonated at 30 kilometers altitude could blackout the Eastern Grid that supports most of the population and generates 75 percent of US electricity.”

“Detonation at that altitude of a nuclear warhead with a yield of 10 to 20 kilotons—similar to those tested by North Korea—would produce major EMP effects and inflict catastrophic damage to unhardened electronics across hundreds of miles of surface territory. It is a myth that large yield nuclear weapons of hundreds of kilotons are required to produce such effects,” he writes.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...e-nuclear-blast.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The little punk has no intention of starting a war he can't win . His sabre rattling is purely for show . Food , fuel oil , and international recognition is what he wants and usually gets when he does this crap .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
If you have read "One Second After" and the follow-up books, the aftermath of an EMP strike is frightening.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did Bert the Turtle drills in Fairbanks and Anchorage in the 60s. Before I'm fucking vaporized by the NORK my final question is it thermo, new, clee, are or thermo, new, clarr and dribbel on your shirt?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Any engagement with the North that doesn't end with Seoul basically destroyed and hordes of southern deaths will be amazing. So many people there, so close. Way to many to evacuate, too, and it's too far away and too many of them to find safety anyway.

From what I've read, North Korea has thousands of artillery pieces in caves/bunkers dialed in or Seoul. In a single hour, they could put millions of rounds downtown, effectively obliterating the South Korean capital. This is the NorKs' 'insurance policy' that keeps the allies from making a first move. Any such first move would guarantee the destruction of the capital (maybe this is a good reason that you shouldn't establish ANY major city, ESPECIALLY your political and economic capital, within arty range of a homicidal adversary? Roll Eyes ).

Blame the State Department. With the end of WWII we and the Russians moved into Korea to accept the surrender of the Japanese. State had to find a demarcation line to keep the two forces separate. They wanted us to get the capital but didn't want to tell the Russians to move back from where they were. That's why the 38th parallel was chosen. There are no geographic obstacles, just a wide valley leading straight to Seoul. From OP Dora, in the DMZ, you get a great view of the capital.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoKer86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Any engagement with the North that doesn't end with Seoul basically destroyed and hordes of southern deaths will be amazing. So many people there, so close. Way to many to evacuate, too, and it's too far away and too many of them to find safety anyway.

From what I've read, North Korea has thousands of artillery pieces in caves/bunkers dialed in or Seoul. In a single hour, they could put millions of rounds downtown, effectively obliterating the South Korean capital. This is the NorKs' 'insurance policy' that keeps the allies from making a first move. Any such first move would guarantee the destruction of the capital (maybe this is a good reason that you shouldn't establish ANY major city, ESPECIALLY your political and economic capital, within arty range of a homicidal adversary? Roll Eyes ).

Blame the State Department. With the end of WWII we and the Russians moved into Korea to accept the surrender of the Japanese. State had to find a demarcation line to keep the two forces separate. They wanted us to get the capital but didn't want to tell the Russians to move back from where they were. That's why the 38th parallel was chosen. There are no geographic obstacles, just a wide valley leading straight to Seoul. From OP Dora, in the DMZ, you get a great view of the capital.

The artillery is definitely a big issue. In regards to ballistic missiles, SCUDs and NO DONGs are the most likely to be successful. Lots of South Koreans would die. These can range parts of Japan.

A successful strike on the US is highly unlikely. Plus we just successfully shot an ICBM out of the sky a few weeks ago. We also have extensive missile defenses on peninsula and in Japan.

All in all, South Korea and Japan have a lot more to worry about. If NK did anything stupid they would likely no longer exist. Especially if they happened to successfully use a nuke. The regime wants to reunite the peninsula and stay in control.

The dynamic will of course continuously change. Their solid fuel missile testing is troubling.

www.sanderstactical.com

Posts: 770 | Location: Gallatin, TN | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18 months after a huge cash payment to iran north korea makes remarkable progress in their missile program? Follow the money- That's the real story.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI, the threat of war with NK has been going on for decades. In 1994 when I was almost at the end of my enlistment and ready to get out, I thought the AF might extend me and not let me out due to war breaking out. We were getting daily, classified briefings on the possibility of war with NK. Here we are 23 years later still in the same situation.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You have to look at the strategy of moving most of your resources to the NK area and out of the EMP area of the USA.

I read that Russia gave them the plans for the improved EMP capability.

Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
The little punk has no intention of starting a war he can't win . His sabre rattling is purely for show . Food , fuel oil , and international recognition is what he wants and usually gets when he does this crap .

Or the little cartoon character dictator could actually be batshit crazy. Lil' Kim has already, and on numerous occasions, shown himself to be a true sociopath, would being completely detached from reality really be a stretch?

Batshit crazy adds all kinds of exciting possibilities where nuclear weapons are concerned. Maybe he thinks he can win. maybe he wants to see the world burn. Maybe he's taking orders from a spider he keeps in a jar in his bedroom. Irrational unpredictability is what make batshit crazy so much fun.

Nuclear weapons depend on the nation, or leader, who is least stable to maintain the peace.

Just how stable do you think Lil' Kim really is.

I'm not really addressing Selogic directly, just using his quote. It seems most people are prepared to write Lil' Kim's behavior off as bluster to simply gain concessions from the West. Personally I think Lil' Kim is batshit crazy.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
What if Li'l Kim weren't there any more? 'Nuff said.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post