SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    False Alarm At Global Citizen Festival Triggers Stampede, Chaos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

False Alarm At Global Citizen Festival Triggers Stampede, Chaos Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
No surprise considering the crowd:

A stampede triggered by a false alarm brought Saturday night’s Global Citizen Festival in Central Park to a sudden stop.

Thousands of people went running to get out of the park when concert goers thought they heard gunshots at the crowded event.

The NYPD has confirmed that the loud noise was actually a barrier near the stage that fell over. Police rushed onto the stage to urge concert goers to remain calm and inform them it was only a fence that fell.

The chaos broke out on the park’s Great Lawn around 7:30 p.m.

Some social media accounts reported there were people yelling someone had a gun and to get out. Several people reportedly suffered non-life threatening injuries in the commotion.

Upwards of 60,000 people have attended the festival in the past, as many of the tickets are free. Global Citizens is a movement to end extreme poverty by 2030 featuring several big-name performers.

Saturday’s event featured Cardi B, John Legend, and Janet Jackson. The festival was paused as police did crowd control however, it did resume after order was restored.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2...al-citizen-festival/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Global Citizens is a movement to end extreme poverty by 2030 featuring several big-name performers.

Extreme poverty has been reduced by 80% in the past two decades through capitalism and global trade.

Posts: 18056 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Sheep stampeded by Sheep?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

A stampede triggered by a false alarm brought Saturday night’s Global Citizen Festival in Central Park to a sudden stop.

Goddamn snowflakes.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Help me out here. Aren't these the same nitwits who claim to be ready to take away everyone's guns, yet they run for the hills when someone knocks over...a barrier fence? Color me unimpressed.

And for the record, the folks living in Africa 100 years from now will be living in the same poverty they live in today. No stable government, no industry, no education, and no interest in any of the aforementioned virtually guarantees it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post