SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PC/IT guys: Source for 32 bit machine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PC/IT guys: Source for 32 bit machine? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I have some legacy software that requires a 32 bit processor. My old machine died and I'd like to replace it. Obviously, it'll be a used/refurbished box.

Prefer desktop, doesn't need a lot of RAM or a huge hard drive, does need a CD drive.

The one machine I was interested in turns out to be a 64 bit processor. How can I be sure I'm getting a 32 bit board?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15157 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Depending on the OS you're running, you might consider running a 32-bit OS in a virtual machine. VirtualBox is a free solution, but VMware also offers VMware Workstation. You will need an installable .ISO, but one should be available online if you don't have your original.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure 64 processor will not cause issues running 32 bit code.

Windows 10 can run 32 bit code, but does not support 16bit.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I am guessing it is probably not a 32-bit processor that you need to run specific 32-bit-only software, but the 32-bit compatibility libraries that Microsoft dropped from Windows as of W10. Installing an older OS, and the software in a VM is the easiest way around this.

To address the actual question asked, there are still 32-bit processors available in the market, e.g. the Pentium 4. You may or may not be able to find an OS that will install and run on a 32-bit box. If you have saved your installation disks from 20 years ago, that may be your best bet.

Posts: 6377 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:

Tried installing it on my Win7 64 bit machine. No go and no way around it that I can find.

Posts: 15157 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I bought a licensed copy of WinXP which is what the old box was running. I initially thought the hard drive had died and bought a SATA drive as well.

No joy, no video output and with a wireless keyboard, no way to force my way into BIOS.

I'm gonna hit Goodwill and try to find a wired keyboard (I threw mine away, dumbass that I am...) and see if I can get the machine to boot from the Win CD, but with the video problem I'm guessing not. With refurb machines out there for around $50 I'm not sure it's worth screwing with anyway.

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I've bought a number of refurb PCs from Tiger Direct over the years and had good luck with them

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of older computers on ebay. You should be able to find one there, but most will be 64 bit.

-c1steve

Posts: 4036 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for you to share what ancient application you're running that is worth all this. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12339 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You might need a 32 bit version of win 7. which should install on a machine with a 64 bit processor.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:

Tried installing it on my Win7 64 bit machine. No go and no way around it that I can find.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
PHPaul...I have a licensed copy of Windows 7 Home Premium that's 64-bit, but it might...MIGHT...have the option to install the 32-bit version in the installation process. You're welcome to it if you want to try that. Both my laptop and office system are running Windows 10, so I no longer have a need for the Windows 7 DVD. My e-mail is in my profile...say the word and it's yours.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I can't wait for you to share what ancient application you're running that is worth all this. Razz

AutoCAD 13 14.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm attempting to install Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode on my 64 bit machine now.

Theoretically, that should allow me to run the 32 bit software on my "good" machine.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a licensed copy of Windows 7 Home Premium that's 64-bit, but it might...MIGHT...have the option to install the 32-bit version in the installation process.

If the license is valid it is also valid for either 32 or 64 bit.

Posts: 22825 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I was thinking the install program gave you the option of 32- or 64-bit, but I used it sooooo long ago and I've slept a few times since then... Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No joy, no video output and with a wireless keyboard, no way to force my way into BIOS.

I'm gonna hit Goodwill and try to find a wired keyboard (I threw mine away, dumbass that I am...) and see if I can get the machine to boot from the Win CD,

Here's a USB keyboard for $13.00
Regards, Jack
www.amazon.com/SR-Keyboard-Mul...id=1581445829&sr=8-9

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, eff me with a stick...

Downloaded XP Mode for Win 7.

That required me to download Win Virtual PC. Could NOT get that bitch to install. After frigging around for hours, finally discovered a "Windows Update Troubleshooter" and ran it. It found and corrected some registry issues, and finally got Virtual PC to install.

Fired it up, opened XP Mode and it started installing. Let Joy be Unrestrained!

Except that it crashed at 98%. Twice.

Come to find out that I have the ONE processor that is incompatible with Virtual PC. (AMD A8-6500B "Bulldozer" variant.)

Most of a day shot in the ass with no progress at all.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I bought a licensed copy of WinXP which is what the old box was running. I initially thought the hard drive had died and bought a SATA drive as well.

I'm gonna hit Goodwill and try to find a wired keyboard (I threw mine away, dumbass that I am...) and see if I can get the machine to boot from the Win CD, but with the video problem I'm guessing not. With refurb machines out there for around $50 I'm not sure it's worth screwing with anyway.

If you already have a working W7 machine and some XP software(w/ lic) then it is possible to configure a "dual boot" machine.
You would have to choose either XP or W7 at boot.
Kind of complicated but doable, it was what we did for that same scenario when only XP would work and W7 just came out.

Also if you have W10 and compat cpu (most are) then you could install Hyper-V or another virtual PC program and install the XP in that.
It is similar to what the XP mode in function but works much better.

Posts: 22825 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guy in my building complex recycles computers.
I can ask him if he has something in 32-bit.

PC

Posts: 1328 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, it turns out I'm a dumbass. (No surprise there...)

The Virtual PC part worked, it was the XP Mode that didn't.

But, Dummy, you HAVE a licensed copy of XP! Just install it on the virtual machine!

Doh.

Works fine, installed AutoCAD, all is well.