SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woman lucky to be alive as upscale Baltimore neighborhood terrorized by marauding bands of teens wielding wooden boards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman lucky to be alive as upscale Baltimore neighborhood terrorized by marauding bands of teens wielding wooden boards Login/Join 
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
The only upscale neighborhood in Baltimore that I know of is in the Roland Park area around Johns Hopkins University. Is there really an upscale area in South Baltimore?

I used to cut through Baltimore from the south to take my son to swim practice in the north part of the city at Loyola University. Now, I take the beltway and go around.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Lowlife maggots. Just try this at places where folks can actually defend themselves and see what will happen. You're not some innocent "teens". You are fucking thugs. Mad

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
The only upscale neighborhood in Baltimore that I know of is in the Roland Park area around Johns Hopkins University. Is there really an upscale area in South Baltimore?

I used to cut through Baltimore from the south to take my son to swim practice in the north part of the city at Loyola University. Now, I take the beltway and go around.

That's what I was thinking.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
This is actually one of 3 or 4 episodes from the weekend and days that followed:

A few dozen of us should go there.........dress touristy.............when the "teens" appear, transform the area like a flash-mob dance troupe into and IDPA multi-stage extravaganza------bring some shot timers so we can compare par times later over drinks.

The headline I hope to see someday:

"Group of 'teens' attack club members during an Inner Harbor meet-n-greet"
With a by line:
"Baltimore City Coroner irate over lack of cooler space in morgue for recent surge in 'teen' cadavers"

I like the way you think Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.officer.com/comman...o-assaults-by-youths

Baltimore Police Launch Plainclothes 'Decoy Unit'
The Baltimore police department has created a plainclothes unit of young officers and increased uniformed patrols in response to recent crimes by juveniles in South Baltimore.

JESSICA ANDERSON NOVEMBER 7, 2017 SOURCE: THE BALTIMORE SUN

BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore police department has created a plainclothes unit of young officers and increased uniformed patrols in response to recent crimes by juveniles in South Baltimore.

Commissioner Kevin Davis announced the plainclothes decoy unit Monday night during a monthly public safety walk held by the Riverside Neighborhood Association, which drew more than 200 residents to Riverside Park after several recent robberies and assaults involving juveniles were reported in the area.

The new unit will be made up of young, trained police officers deployed to specific areas where there's violent, repeat juvenile offenders, Davis said. The department has also doubled the number of officers assigned full time to South Baltimore neighborhoods and increased holiday deployments with administrative sworn officers in neighborhoods near the Inner Harbor, he said. The recent police academy class is also walking in the area.

"For the rest of the year, you will see an enhanced police presence, and that is not going to go away,” Davis said as the crowd applauded.

Councilman Eric T. Costello, who represents the neighborhood, said the recent crimes, which include juveniles assaulting victims with wooden boards and bats are “completely unacceptable.”

One woman who was attacked by several juveniles with wooden boards on Halloween night attended the walk. She still had black eyes and large bandages over her knees.

“I think it’s good people want to make a change. I don’t know if it will happen,” she said. She declined to give her name.

Her boyfriend, Jeff Brown, who lives in the neighborhood, said her attack and the attention given to her case “really put a lot of energy into stopping this.”

Police said a 15-year-old has been charged in four of seven incidents on Halloween.

Davis said much of the recent juvenile crime in the area is caused by several known offenders.

"We have a number of juveniles who have introduced themselves to this community,” Davis said. “They are small in numbers but they have committed the same crime again, again and again. We've arrested them again, again and again. We just have to hold onto them, detain them until they change their behavior."

Davis said he had the records of 10 juveniles who were recently arrested pulled and found that collectively, the groups has been previously charged with more than 60 offenses.

While the department has beefed up patrols in the area, Davis said there needs to be more accountability by the courts, at home and in school. He said many juvenile offenders also likely come from troubled backgrounds.

One resident asked what’s causing the crime trend.

"They probably think that nobody gives a damn about them,” Davis responded. But also, he said “because they think they can get away with it."

Lisa Urso and her husband Matthew have lived in the neighbohood for eight years and have noticed an increase in crime. The couple said they regularly attend crime walks, but Monday was by far the largest. They haven’t been victimized but said they have known people in the community who have.

Matthew Urso said he doesn’t want the recent incidents to deter people from moving to the neighborhood where he and his wife have decided to make their home and raise their two daughters. He said the health of the neighborhood and others are important to the future of the city, and “you can’t let a neighborhood with a tax base fall apart.”

Resident James Gray, a civil engineer, said until recently he never thought twice about visitors walking to his house from a parking space.

“Now it’s like, don’t walk alone at night at all,” he said. He hopes the momentum from Monday night will continue.

jkanderson@baltsun.com

twitter.com/janders5

———

©2017 The Baltimore Sun

Same article here, but I've exceeded my free reads:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20171106-story.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
They probably think that nobody gives a damn about them,” Davis responded. But also, he said “because they think they can get away with it."

They think right. Nobody would miss or waste a thought on them.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Lowlife maggots. Just try this at places where folks can actually defend themselves and see what will happen. You're not some innocent "teens". You are fucking thugs. Mad

Two lowlifes tried robbing bicyclists on a bike path several years ago in Reading Pa. Knock victim off the bike and rob them was the plan.

Third victim they chose pulled a gun and shot and killed one.

No charges against the shooter.

Gun laws in Maryland are more restrictive, I guess.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

...Gun laws in Maryland are more restrictive, I guess.

Oh yeah. BIG TIME! That explains the low murder rate in Baltimore and Prince Georges County.

Oh wait...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
What I really want to say, my wife has told me never to say to anyone but her, and only at home when now one else is present.

Guess she really does love me and wants to keep me out of jail. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We have a number of juveniles who have introduced themselves to this community,” Davis said. “They are small in numbers but they have committed the same crime again, again and again. We've arrested them again, again and again. We just have to hold onto them, detain them until they change their behavior."Davis said he had the records of 10 juveniles who were recently arrested pulled and found that collectively, the groups has been previously charged with more than 60 offenses.

Say, whut.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

“I think it’s good people want to make a change. I don’t know if it will happen,” she said. She declined to give her name.

Police said a 15-year-old has been charged in four of seven incidents on Halloween.

Davis said much of the recent juvenile crime in the area is caused by several known offenders.

"We have a number of juveniles who have introduced themselves to this community,” Davis said. “They are small in numbers but they have committed the same crime again, again and again. We've arrested them again, again and again. We just have to hold onto them, detain them until they change their behavior."

Davis said he had the records of 10 juveniles who were recently arrested pulled and found that collectively, the groups has been previously charged with more than 60 offenses.

While the department has beefed up patrols in the area, Davis said there needs to be more accountability by the courts, at home and in school. He said many juvenile offenders also likely come from troubled backgrounds.

One resident asked what’s causing the crime trend.

"They probably think that nobody gives a damn about them,” Davis responded. But also, he said “because they think they can get away with it."

The Baltimore PD response:

Here's hoping for a Paul Kersey response..............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jim. We have been talking about Colin Flaherty for years here.

One of the biggest disgraces of American "journalism" (there are so many) is the cover-up of black violence against whites.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Baltimore is out of control

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20171118-story.html

Maryland law requires that juveniles who are accused of some serious violent crimes — such as murder, carjacking and armed robbery — face charges in the adult system.

But judges may grant waivers for those youths to be tried, instead, in the juvenile system. The juvenile court system is supposed to emphasize rehabilitation instead of punishment, and does not detain youths past age 21.

In 2014, judges granted 48 percent of waiver motions from juveniles charged as adults who sought to be sent down to the juvenile system.

This year, judges have granted 87 percent of those motions — meaning just 13 of 102 juveniles charged as adults will face trial in the adult court system.

Baltimore homicides:

2012 217
2013 235
2014 211
2015 344
2016 318
2017 309 (to date)

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yikes. Around here, it's the opposite. About 10% of juveniles charged as adults are kicked back down to the Juvenile Court.

quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
The Baltimore PD response:

Based on the article you quoted, it's not the PD's choice. They're doing what they're supposed to do, having arrested them 60+ times. But while the police can put people in jail, they don't get to dictate how long they stay there. It's the courts that keep letting them back out on the streets to reoffend.

That's one of the main frustrations of law enforcement work: You bust your ass to get a scrotebag off the street, then the court lets them out before the ink's even dry on the arrest report. Then, many months later when they finally get to their final court appearance, it gets pled down and they walk out again with some fines and probation. Then, as a cherry on top of that shit sundae, people point at that example and say: "Well, clearly the police aren't doing their job..." Roll Eyes

Posts: 32486 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post