SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Burglary at Charlotte Gun Show this Weekend
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burglary at Charlotte Gun Show this Weekend Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
me a troll,
you a know it all.
guess that makes us even jl.

Rogue and I were just having some fun.

Relax, no one is a troll or a know it all.

Getting gun shows burglarized is a bad deal putting more guns on the street in the hands of the wrong people.

That is all. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Happened here a few years back, 7 "shirtless" youts broke in and stole 24 Guns. The location is in a rather seedy part of town, they got them all and the last guy a couple of years later...

Link

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Security for a large open floor venue would include K-9's...

Or at least should have -- Glass breaking, dogs biting,
would be thieves empty handed and bleeding.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So you hire security guards and they are no where to be found. Curious.

It's a 400,000+ square foot building. Even if they were doing their jobs to the best of their ability (which they may not have been), two guys can't be everywhere at all times in a building that massive.

It sounds like the burglars knew exactly where they were going. They smashed a back window, headed directly to a specific display case, smashed it, and then ran off with the gun inside.

Something like that would have taken a matter of seconds to accomplish.

So even if they had noticed it as it happened, how long would it have taken security to get there from another part of the facility?

had a break in at a store I managed (Grocery)

only alarm was on the RX,

2 guys slammed a brick into the door glass (first attempt bounced,) then broke the inside door glass, ran about 25' to the counter, then put $3500 in cigarettes in bags, and out,

in less than 3 minutes,

had video of it all, I was amazed they moved as fast as they did,

would have been faster if that first throw had not bounced

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think some sellers at big shows here actually stay overnight at their tables. And, of course, they carry.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I think some sellers at big shows here actually stay overnight at their tables. And, of course, they carry.

flashguy

Can't carry at the Charlotte one except for on-duty officers. I had to lock my shit in my vehicle.

Had I known they didn't have metal detectors, I would have carried right the hell on in, however.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I occasionally go to gun shows in PA (Oaks for those who know the area.) I'm amazed at the fairly low level of security out on the floor. I don't think it would be all that difficult for a skilled shoplifter (or team) to pilfer guns right off the tables.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I don't think it would be all that difficult for a skilled shoplifter (or team) to pilfer guns right off the tables.

Happens from time to time. Some amusing results. One of our vendors, Pizza Man, heard his wife screaming and saw a piece of shit running. So he gave chase an collared the jerk. Not sure of the level of resistance, but the guy was complying when he got his ass drug back inside. Smile

Way back in the distant past I used to attend the Dayton, OH show. A group of inner city youths was trying to pick off easy targets, aka fat old white men. One got his gun off a table and then tried to run. An old Marine saw it going down and picked up a rifle. As the youth tried to run past him he took the butt in the mid section. I commented "wow, I bet that hurt". The Marine smiled and said "it was supposed to".

High value firearms are probably difficult to fence for full value. Too easy to identify. Worse, they're not street guns. The time was, the street guns were 32s, usually old revolvers with a market value approaching $10. Now the criminals want equal firepower to the PoPo. I've read a couple of articles that suggest the criminals have better shooting skills because they "practice" in the same environment as they shoot people in, while the police practice at "ranges".

It'll be an interesting show this weekend.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The obvious grab and run types aren't so interesting. I'm wondering how often a dealer just notices a gun missing, with no idea of who took it and when it disappeared?

quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
I don't think it would be all that difficult for a skilled shoplifter (or team) to pilfer guns right off the tables.

Happens from time to time. Some amusing results. One of our vendors, Pizza Man, heard his wife screaming and saw a piece of shit running. So he gave chase an collared the jerk. Not sure of the level of resistance, but the guy was complying when he got his ass drug back inside. Smile

Way back in the distant past I used to attend the Dayton, OH show. A group of inner city youths was trying to pick off easy targets, aka fat old white men. One got his gun off a table and then tried to run. An old Marine saw it going down and picked up a rifle. As the youth tried to run past him he took the butt in the mid section. I commented "wow, I bet that hurt". The Marine smiled and said "it was supposed to".

High value firearms are probably difficult to fence for full value. Too easy to identify. Worse, they're not street guns. The time was, the street guns were 32s, usually old revolvers with a market value approaching $10. Now the criminals want equal firepower to the PoPo. I've read a couple of articles that suggest the criminals have better shooting skills because they "practice" in the same environment as they shoot people in, while the police practice at "ranges".

It'll be an interesting show this weekend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that does gun-shows in WI. I asked him this exact question two months ago, overnight security.

He told me besides all the locks & stuff they had human, armed security patrolling the floor.

Seems it came up sort in the posted example. Yes, if need be, have your loyal, watchful canine along too.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

It’s not uncommon. Especially with the “not a dealer” dealers type shows.

The offenders work in 2-3 man groups.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

It’s not uncommon. Especially with the “not a dealer” dealers type shows.

The offenders work in 2-3 man groups.

Yep. Guy I know who works local shows has been at several where they show up and tag team a vendor who is getting swamped. One provides a distraction while one of their team makes the swipe. Says the vendor that gets picked never saw it. They're pretty good at their game.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've been setting up for about 20 years now and I've never had a problem. I remember when Greg, a WWII expert, collared a thief who palmed a Sat night special off a table corner. Dickson acted like He was the hero. I take several lengths of cheap para cord and loop 3 or 4 guns together. Pick up one and they all move. More for show than anything else. I love most vendors security techniques... Cover your display with blankets, sheets, towels or whatever, the real deterrent is folding up the cheap chairs and stacking 2 or 3 of them on your display. That will keep the sticky fingered fuckers away by golly! I do it too. Big Grin

A competitor of NGD recently fired the long time show mgr because of security issues. Seems his son was show security and son also had a new horny girlfriend. When they got locked inside the show for the night the party started. Things ended up missing, including their clothes, and it was all caught on security cameras. Eek

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand about security handling the buildings around the area but wouldn't it make sense to have someone,even 1 person, actually inside the area where the guns are on the tables? I can't imagine how much money is just sitting out and everyone is ok with letting them just sit there while a "deterrent" is outside the area. I am not blaming the security but am blaming the ones in control of the event/promoter, as they appear incompetent at best. I hear about these issues many times but not one addresses the issue directly. They have to pay for security, so use it the proper way.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

A competitor of NGD recently fired the long time show mgr because of security issues. Seems his son was show security and son also had a new horny girlfriend. When they got locked inside the show for the night the party started. Things ended up missing, including their clothes, and it was all caught on security cameras. Eek

Dickson prevents any of that by not having heat in the winter or AC in the summer. He's too cheap to pay for it.

So, Dave, name names. And I'd like to have a horny new girlfriend. My wife would kill me, but I've lived a long and boring life.

One of the things I've always wondered is if he prohibits cameras inside the show, How's he handle liability when things go missing at night. He's obviously got cameras but doesn't want you to have them. He considers himself better than you or I. Now I understand him running for US Senator a few years back. He'd just add to the problem.

Was Goodman the "comeptitor?" Before you post the video of the events you just reported, I want to see a pix of the girl. That could get really disgusting. The one I want to see is Jerry Taylors son's GF running around nekkid. You'd make big $ selling that.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post