SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm thinking of buying an air compressor today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm thinking of buying an air compressor today Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Probably going to get a small 20 gallon single stage. One thing that I don't understand is how to keep moisture out of the tank and out of the outlet for using a spray gun for painting or powder coating. Any tips on accessories very much appreciated.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure the compressor has enough output to run the gun you will use. Oil-less compressors are very noisy and not as durable. A regulator-drier should solve your moisture problems. I don't think you can keep the moisture out of the tank but there should be a drain valve at the bottom which you can open to drain it. The regulator-drier keeps the moisture out of the air line. If you are going to buy this today you aren't allowing much time for the responses you will probably get.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
... A regulator drier should solve your moisture problems.
Ah, regulator drier, I didn't know the terminology. Thanks.

Should I get a hose reel or are they more trouble than they're worth?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google regulator drier. It is a one or two "can" device installed in the outgoing air line and they range in cost from probably $30 to $250. The lower priced ones are adequate for the home hobbyist. I've painted cars and boats and machinery on the hobby level and have no experience with a reel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gene Hillman,

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Google regulator drier. It is a one or two "can device installed in the outgoing air line and they range in cost from probably $30 to $250. The lower priced ones are adequate for the home hobbyist. I've painted cars and boats and machinery on the hobby level and have no experience with a reel.

Thanks. Smile

I have a garage set up for the lawn equipment so keeping the hose off of the floor is probably a good idea but not if it's a total hassle to use it from a reel.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Is this for a mini-gun or airbrush sprayer?

It might be a struggle on a full size gun.

My best advice is to invest in large ID air hose (and fittings!) and if necessary, upgrade the regulator/switch to a larger diameter. This will allow you to use tools at full power, albeit briefly.

Most of the hose and fittings at HF is the small ID stuff - like 1/4".

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
keeping the hose off of the floor is probably a good idea but not if it's a total hassle to use it from a reel.

I've got a 30 gallon oil-less Sears going on 25 years old now. In the PNW, I drain the tank a couple times a year, minor hassle laying unit down on side, crescent wrench the plug.

With 50' hose line and minimal-moderate use needs, I've used overhead hooks to keep line off the barn floor. Have to re-coil the last 20' as that's most used. 3 or 4 loops allow reach to most of area used most often, & out the door on one side. Still, the 20'+ runs from one side of barn space to the other, generally not moved, yet with the large hooks, easily can be moved as needed for various projects.

I've never painted, have run a few air tools. Mostly it's air supply for nozzle blast needs, or pump up tire.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have a Kobalt 40 gal compressor I purchased from Lowes a couple of years ago. It replaced an older 50 gal compressor I bought back in the 90's when I was doing a lot of automotive body work.

My 40 Gal Kobalt was about $500 if I remember correctly. It serves my purpose for ocassional sandblasing(bead blast cabinet)' general air compressor duties, but it would not standup to daily extended useage. I use an inline moisture trap on the outlet hose when ever I am using paint type acessories.

I drain the tank after very useage and leave the petcock open until the next time I use it.

I also have another Kobalt compressor, a small portable one that I use for airbrush duties and inflating tires.

You really need a larger tank (reserve) and compressor if you intend to run air tools. Using a too small compressor for that purpose will quickly wear out an undersized compressor.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

I made a reel cart for my set up.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Is this for a mini-gun or airbrush sprayer?

It might be a struggle on a full size gun.

My best advice is to invest in large ID air hose (and fittings!) and if necessary, upgrade the regulator/switch to a larger diameter. This will allow you to use tools at full power, albeit briefly.

Most of the hose and fittings at HF is the small ID stuff - like 1/4".

I'll probably go with a mini gun. The stuff I'm spreading is electronic enclosures.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:

I made a reel cart for my set up.
Nice!

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
This place continues to impress. Sure wish everything worked so well.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Is there any point to putting a moisture trap on the inlet to lessen moisture getting into the tank?

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Like your car engine, the compression is squeezing the moisture from the air. Any kind of water trap on the inlet would do little if anything.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eponym-- I like that cart. What kind of reel is that?

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
amals-- It is a Central Pneumatic from Harbor Freight: Link

Note: HF likes to play endless marketing games. Wait for whatever you want to be on sale and use an active, valid discount coupon.

Other parts I used:
- Lead hose: Link
- 2 quick connectors, 1 male and 1 female, for lead hose.
- 4 swivel, locking castors.
- Misc. screws, bolts, nuts, washers.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
What I got from the good suggestions is=larger hose and connections and largest water filter you can afford.
I like the wall mounted binks or develvis and have each on a 60 gallon and a 30 gallon.The small compressor in basement dosent matter ,rarely do any spraying there but I have a portable filter and regulator I can just plug into the line.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I looked around a bit and decided for what I'm going to do with it, I'm just going to pick up the $175 one from harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ompressor-64857.html

If I outgrow it then I'll spend some extra loot on a fancier one.

Loading it in my car, the guy said I should leave it upright before firing it up since I had to lay it down for the ride home. I didn't think they came with the compressor oil already in it.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Besides the regulator dryer I would add disposable filter, a swivel, then second regulator at the paint gun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An air compressor takes a large volume of air (say, from your room) and compresses it into a small space (a few cubic feet). There is a certain amount of water in that large volume. That amount of water does not change as the air compresses. As air is compressed it also gets hot. Hot moist air from the compressor is pushed into a vessel that is larger and cooler. The moisture condenses in the tank. It then collects in the bottom of the tank where it causes rust. This is why the tank needs regular draining. I expect this rust is what kills most compressors. Motors are ok, compressors are ok, tanks leak and the unit get discarded.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post