SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turn Off the Cameras!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turn Off the Cameras! Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Jim Acosta, and others like him, are hurting journalism.

The debate between Stephen Miller and CNN’s Jim Acosta proved that turning the daily White House press briefing into a TV show is a dangerous thing for journalism.

When the Trump administration temporarily refused permission for televising the daily White House press briefing, journalists howled. They claimed that conducting the briefing without the cameras turned on hurt the public and diminished the government transparency that is needed in a democracy.

There was some truth to that, especially since the daily presser has become something of an institution in the last few administrations. But after Wednesday’s televised press briefing, it is now clear the cameras need to be turned off. That’s not because it might aid the Trump administration’s efforts to evade accountability. Rather, it is to protect the press from further damaging their credibility in a way that injures not only journalism but also the fabric of American democracy.

While the daily press briefing has always been a form of theater, the ground rules — under which even the most aggressive questioners sought to ask questions rather than engage in advocacy — have generally been observed. The country learned a lot watching various White House spokespersons squirm under the pressure as they scrambled to defend the policies of their bosses. But as contentious as these exchanges have sometimes been, the White House correspondents taking part in the show generally stuck to asking probing multi-part questions rather than making speeches. But all that ended on Wednesday, when CNN’s Jim Acosta got the chance to query senior Trump aide Stephen Miller about the administration’s support for a new bill that would cut legal immigration.

Instead of asking about the issue, Acosta began to grandstand as if he were a member of Congress hogging the camera at a hearing. Acosta asked about the contrast between the text of the Emma Lazarus poem that is on the base of the Statue of Liberty and the proposed bill Trump is backing. That’s a loaded question, but hardly unfair. But he didn’t just pose the question about the poem or the new requirement that immigrants speak English, or merely follow up when Miller sought to rationalize his position. Acosta interrupted and started debating him.

"You’re saying that that does not represent what the country has always thought of as immigration into this country? Stephen, I’m sorry — that sounds like national-park revisionism. The Statue of Liberty as always been a beacon of hope to the world for people to come to this country, and they are not always going to speak English, Stephen. They’re not always going to be highly skilled."

When Miller sought to further explain, Acosta didn’t follow up with another question, but instead continued debating him. His further response to Miller’s answer wasn’t another question but an opinionated rebuke: “You are sort of bringing a ‘Press One For English’ philosophy here to immigration, and that is not what the United States is about.”

No doubt some agree with Acosta about that. But the question everyone who watched the lengthy exchange needed to ask after the dust settled was not which of them was right but what in the world is a straight-news reporter assigned to cover the White House for a major network doing making a speech in a press briefing? And how can he fairly cover this administration in his capacity as a reporter, and not an opinion columnist, if he is using the briefing as a platform for his views on highly divisive political issues?

After his debate with Miller, Acosta went on the air again to vent his disgust for the new immigration policy. He discussed what he considers the president’s “unhealthy obsession with ‘the Mexicans, the Muslims, and the media.’”

That Acosta is a critic of the White House was no secret prior to these rants. As with many other journalists who are more scrupulous about not airing their private opinions when playing reporter, his social-media accounts often betray his personal opinions in a way that compromises any pose of objectivity. Just to bring up one egregious example, at one point last fall he taunted the Trump campaign (which he was covering) with an Instagram post in which he gloated about there being only two days to go before the man who wound up winning and his supporters would be forced to say “bye bye.”

Acosta is entitled to think what he likes about both immigration and Trump. But no matter your opinion of the significance of the Statue of Liberty poem — the text of which hasn’t had much to do with U.S. immigration policy since 1924, when serious restrictions were first introduced — the problem here is a reporter who doesn’t know the difference between news and opinion. Were he a columnist or an opinionated host in the manner of Don Lemon or Sean Hannity, no one would be able to complain about his venting of opinions. But as long as he is presenting himself as a reporter, he can’t be making policy speeches at the daily presser.

It’s true that the church–state-style divide between those two categories has often been blurred in the age of the Internet, as opinion has become the factor that drives both television ratings and Web traffic. Analysis articles that are thinly disguised opinion columns are common on the front page of the New York Times and other newspapers. But while many of the hours broadcast on the cable-news channels are specifically devoted to the airing of opinions, we still have a right to expect reporters — especially those holding prestigious chairs at White House pressers — to act like reporters rather than columnists when given a chance to question the administration.

Acosta failed that test, and — in another era, when institutions like CNN cared more about presenting a façade of objectivity — his performance at the briefing would have cost him his job. Instead, he continues in his post while basking in the fame associated with being a hero to the Left and a villain to the Right.

Part of the blame belongs to a liberal-media culture where hatred for Trump is so intense it’s led many journalists to think any rule can be broken so long as it is in the service of the “resistance.” But in the case of Wednesday’s exhibition by Acosta, the fault also lies with the way the daily White House briefing has become a must-watch TV show in which the journalists compete with one another for opportunities to try to embarrass or confound Trump’s mouthpieces. The cameras present White House correspondents not so much with an opportunity to produce moments of clarity that expose administration failures as it does chances for them to preen in front of their peers and fellow liberals who hate Trump.

They’d have to go back to just doing the hard work of reporting. Take the cameras away and they’d have to go back to just doing the hard and often dreary work of reporting instead of seizing the moment to become media stars. That doesn’t make for good television but it would be better journalism. More to the point, it would also remove yet one more reason for Americans — be they on the right or the left — to no longer trust the press.

How can viewers trust a reporter whose bias is not only open but also brazenly proclaimed in this manner? If this sort of breach of the divide between news and opinion is not only tolerated but also lauded, then why should anyone trust CNN or any other network or publication when it reports stories that have political implications? Anyone who cares about the reputation of the press or its vital role in our democracy should now be demanding that the cameras be turned off at the briefings, before Acosta and others like him do any more harm to the media’s already low public standing.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/...ta-journalism-harmed

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
When they go back to reporting the news instead of being the news, we'll be in a better place.

I would ban Acosta from any further briefings, then I would hold them only once a week. There's no need for the soap opera.

Posts: 19976 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I thought both parties handled it poorly. I agree that Acosta should be banned, and ground rules should be clear and enforced.

Regarding the immigration issue, I don't think it's necessary to limit immigrants to those that can speak English, but I definitely think they must learn it before they can become a citizen. And all potential immigrants must be given a thorough medical examination to insure that they aren't carrying infectious diseases. (Bring back Ellis Island!)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Yank his white house creds and anybody else who makes a press room speech while masquerading as a journalist.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I thought both parties handled it poorly.
Yes, Heaven forbid that the Trump administration should push back at this nonstop assault from the media. Roll Eyes

You want them to be doormats for the press, do ya?

Asshole got put in his place and I applaud the man who did it. He handled it perfectly. Just exactly how much shit does the Trump administration have to eat from the "press" before they can defend themselves?? For some of you guys, the answer seems to be that no matter what the press does, the Trump administration is not allowed to push back, and that's just horse shit.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I did not say I disagreed with pushing back--just that I thought it was done poorly. I certainly do NOT want them to be doormats for the Press, but I thought Mr. Miller could have articulated his arguments more fully and with less repetition. At one point he should just have told Acosta to sit down and shut up (or had him removed by Security).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I am coming around to the 'no cameras' side. These guys can't ask a simple question, but when it comes time to write up the news, they will take only a soundbite of the reply.

No camera means no point in grandstanding pseudo-questions to position yourself as uber-prog. It also means the 'news' organizations will have to actually work to get their video footage, instead of editing hours of video, looking for 10-second soundbites to misuse.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
For decades, the U.S. Senate refused to allow microphones and cameras in the Senate chamber. The pressure built and built until finally they agreed to have live coverage.

Sure enough, now the power of TV has corrupted the institution. I know all about the people's right to know what is going on. The presence of cameras and microphones changes what is going on, just like TV has changed all sports.

Now we are seeing more and more live coverage of hearings. It is not only Schumer who preens and prattles for the camera to make sure the folks back home see him in action.

It is evolving to reality TV and altering the substance of decision making and well as subverting the process.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Circuses, all.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I'm with Gustofer.

I would notify CNN that Acosta - and all CNN 'reporters/journalists' would be re-seated in the back row.

They would not speak unless called on.

That any petulant outburst, grandstanding or unprofessional behavior would have them banned from all future pressers.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, we're just a few months into the administration. There's time for that to happen. One never knows. Razz

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
I'm with Gustofer.

I would notify CNN that Acosta - and all CNN 'reporters/journalists' would be re-seated in the back row.

They would not speak unless called on.

That any petulant outburst, grandstanding or unprofessional behavior would have them banned from all future pressers.

The appropriate seating assignment for CNN, MSNBC, WashPo, NYT, etc. is on the sidewalk outside 1600 watching a live feed from the briefing room like the rest of the world. You should never let the enemy inside your camp.

Posts: 113 | Registered: February 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post