SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good site for cloud storage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good site for cloud storage? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Is there a good site for storing data that I can access from anywhere?

Looking to back up some work files

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Microsoft One Drive

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Google drive has served me well. Will you be backing up from a PC/Windows server, NAS, manually?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you trust the cloud?

why not get a portable terrabyte drive and keep it yourself

if you put it on the cloud won't you be essentially giving up control of the data and allowing it to be mined by either Google or Microsoft?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
you trust the cloud?

Only the ones in Russia.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I ask this not in jest but seriousness

I don't trust the cloud, or any type of storage where I cannot determine that its secure - to me the cloud seems as secure as posting it on a billboard at Times Square

and if there is a problem, who do you call?

we have a corporate storage issue and I am arguing against using anything that has the cloud in the title of the facility

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
iCloud and Dropbox

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The Cloud is a lie.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
The Cloud is a lie.

+ 1

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Dropbox has worked well for me. It provides a common work space for all of my computers, and has made keeping them in sync very easy. It is NOT a backup solution. It is not an incremental backup solution on its own, although you could use it as a repository for a dedicated backup solution.

I use a combination of Dropbox and iDrive. Dropbox as an everyday work space, and iDrive as an offsite incremental backup. I use a 3-2-1 backup solution. 3 copies, 2 different media types, at lease 1 copy offsite.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
MS OneDrive or Google Drive. Either are good for general use.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
The Cloud is a lie.

Brilliant. Roll Eyes

Depending on what your ultimate objective is that will tell you what you need.
If it is merely backup then online is not necessary.
If it is access then you need a different approach.
If you are scared of the Internet like Arc then you could actually host something on your own computer.
Or store a copy on someone else's system online.
Of course the security precautions you take should be reflective of the actual value of the data not only to you but to someone else.
There can be secure methods believe it or not for data stored elsewhere other than locally.
YMMV

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
When I worked for one of those big international telecommunications companies, our “cloud” was internal. Backed up between 3 major data centers world wide. Site A backed up to both site B & C. Those sites backed up in a similar fashion. Quarterly there were tapes made that went off site to secure storage. Expensive, but better than letting Google or Microsoft have any control over it and the U.S. DOD approved. Of course that company did go bankrupt.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
With the advent of 128GB-1TB thumb drives I doubt I'll ever need to use Cloud based storage again, except in the rare instance where I want to share my files with others.

I've had a 64GB drive on my keyring for years now. Best thing ever.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
OneDrive or Dropbox, Google Drive. I use OneDrive because I dislike MS less than I dislike Google but I also have local backups. All of the problems with improper access I've heard about were caused by the file owners incorrectly securing the files (top secret files on AWS, etc), not because "the cloud" itself is inherently insecure.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Dropbox is my personal choice.

Great for mobile uploads too.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

For access on multiple Apple devices to some trivial stuff (Safari bookmarks, ToDo list, Calendar, and Contacts), I do use iCloud, but I also back up those items weekly onto a data drive. For real data, I am mostly concerned about cloud storage for access when you need it. I back up to local external hard drives, and one goes every month to my safe deposit box (two drives in rotation).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
With the advent of 128GB-1TB thumb drives I doubt I'll ever need to use Cloud based storage again, except in the rare instance where I want to share my files with others.

I've had a 64GB drive on my keyring for years now. Best thing ever.

Yup. Same here. And I'm able to expand the storage on my new S9 up to 400 GB plus the device's internal storage. Plenty for me. I've just never been comfortable putting any of my personal stuff on the Cloud. But that's just my own preference.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to set up an external hard drive on my home wifi that i can access remotely?

What hardware would be needed and how would the access work?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
If you have a Amazon Prime account you already have access to cloud storage on your Amazon drive. You can mitigate the fear of the information being "mined" by using compression software such as WinRAR or 7zip to encrypt the data before you upload it.

How much stuff are we talking about? Gigs? If that's the case you may be better served using a backup service such as Carbonite.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post