SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roofing question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roofing question. Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
What kind of roof is this? Rubber membrane?

How should the edges have been done?

Trying to help an older family friend. Part of it seems like it was glued or something to the plywood. The corners have come up, likely because of wind. The wood underneath is rotted and needs to be replaced. This looks like a crappy job in an 11-year-old house. I want to understand how this kind of roof is supposed to be installed. I can't see it just getting glued where the wind can push up the corners.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Man that is a lot of damage,will be worse under all that silicone.
I installed a rubber membrane on a widdows walk twenty years ago and it had a coating on the underside we had to peel off, the viscuane protectorate as we rolled it out.
Your friend is about to spend big bucks to correct some jack asses f$@# ups

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
OK, so...

Whoever did that is a hack. I don't see any washers under the rubber holding down the drip edge or any substrate, and the rubber shouldn't go out there, it should be seem taped and not that close to the edge. The "tape" isn't tape, so much as a different type of rubber and adhesive. Hacky McHacker probably tried to use the substrate adhesive for everything, and that is why it is coming apart.

It's possible it could be repaired, if not a lot of water has gotten under it. But it may need to be completely redone.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/w...century-modern-house

Skip to 23:43 in the video. Tom Silva shows how it's done.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
For simplicity, he's skipping securing it with flat washers and screws, but he's showing the seam tape I'm talking about. You don't want the drip edge secured only with the tape. The tape is wide enough to completely cover the flat washer.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Arc nailed it. That is an improperly installed epdm roof. I had one almost as hacky. I replaced it with a commercial installer TPO membrane job. The seams on the epdm job on my house became sun weakened and cracked. You can continue to try to fix it, but it's going to get very costly, As was mentioned, I don't see any of the screw/washer anchors that hold the roof in place in wind.I'd replace it. Mine cost about $10 a square foot.

Posts: 4018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Check that it is actually pitched correctly. Typically done with wedge shaped foam panels if the roof is flat.

Arc.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's pitched correctly. That's something I need to check but didn't have a big enough ladder to get up on the roof.

There is no foam panel that I saw. At least not at the edges. The plywood at the edges is rotted away.

petr the video helps and acr's explanation explains what I thought was missing.

The builder took some short cuts for sure. The main roof was replaced last year and the house is only 11 years old because of multiple leaks where two roof pitches come together and missing flashing. They didn't touch the porch roof when they replaced the main roof, unfortunately.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He should file a homeowner's insurance claim as well, especially if wind may have contributed to the damages.

He shouldn't expect much, if anything from insurance though, but it is worth filing a claim. The result could range from not covered due to faulty workmanship to a small portion of the repairs covered that related to wind damage, to a possibility of the replacement covered for at least the entire slope/section that is damaged. Worth a shot unless it is just a very small area.

Edit: I see it is just that small porch area, so depending on the repair cost and his deductible it may not be worth it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
For simplicity, he's skipping securing it with flat washers and screws, but he's showing the seam tape I'm talking about. You don't want the drip edge secured only with the tape. The tape is wide enough to completely cover the flat washer.
Doesn't it appear that water has gotten under the vertical surface and rotted the flashing installed behind it? Looks like a lot of rust on that white paint. Down here there's a peel and stick roofing that can be installed in areas like that. And once that stuff is stuck to the plywood substrate, and a day or two of 90+ degree heat hits it, it isn't coming off with anything short of a CAT 4 hurricane.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Doesn't it appear that water has gotten under the vertical surface and rotted the flashing installed behind it? Looks like a lot of rust on that white paint. Down here there's a peel and stick roofing that can be installed in areas like that. And once that stuff is stuck to the plywood substrate, and a day or two of 90+ degree heat hits it, it isn't coming off with anything short of a CAT 4 hurricane.

You probably mean Ice&Water, Ice&Water and rubber roof don't play nice together, you don't want to have them overlapping much less stuck to eachother. The conditions in those pictures make me think any substrate is shot, but who knows without more investigation. Typically if flat or pitched foam isn't used, homosote is. If it was, it is almost certainly trash and possibly the plywood below it. At least it's a small roof, but I'd be concerned about whether the connections of the posts are now compromised.

I've been working on fairly recently constructed homes more lately, and frankly it's sad to see what has been built 4-8 years ago. It would be nice to think that there was only one period of "Build it fast and cheap, get paid and get out," but there will always be assholes cutting corners, and people who see a good price. Everything looks good the first year, and bad things come creeping.

Arc.